Sean McDermott

74_75_78_79_

Sean McDermott

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Following a great run as the Panthers' DC, helping them to SBL, he leads Buffalo to their first playoff berth in 18 years. Two years later he returns them to the playoffs, the team already having a different identity - '17 & '19 seeming more 'distant' from each other than the '96 Bills were to '98. Five-straight playoff berths, and counting. And, of course, they're looking to extend things with their current 3-0 start.

What are all your takes on him so far as a HC? What past HCs would you place him alongside? I thought of Chuck Knox, but got to place Knox quite above. Sean only has made it to one CCG whereas Chuck appeared in three - his Seahawk feat in '84 quite a notable over-achievement. Vikings were Knox's main obstacle while he was with the Rams, Mahomes obviously Sean's.

I think McDermott has done a very good job in Buffalo. The window still seems open with me and the jury's still out on them finally punching in a Lombardi or, at least, a SB berth. But another piece of artillery in favor of Knox is he never having quite a Josh Allen at QB. Yes, he's a bit beneath Knox. I'm sure a past HC will come to mind or one of you bringing one up instead.

Thoughts?

EDIT - of course I meant '83, not '84.
Last edited by 74_75_78_79_ on Sat Sep 28, 2024 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian wolf

Re: Sean McDermott

Post by Brian wolf »

To be honest, he could lose his job if the team doesnt make the AFC Championship game but we will see. Despite talent on the roster, injuries have hurt them more than anything. Yes, its tough to figure out who could replace him, but Allen isnt getting any younger and they need to meet expectations of at least an AFC Championship.
74_75_78_79_

Re: Sean McDermott

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Brian wolf wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2024 1:51 pm To be honest, he could lose his job if the team doesnt make the AFC Championship game but we will see. Despite talent on the roster, injuries have hurt them more than anything. Yes, its tough to figure out who could replace him, but Allen isnt getting any younger and they need to meet expectations of at least an AFC Championship.
In my opinion, hot-seat talk should not take place at least for now. Another pre-CC playoff exit this season, and maybe it can be opened up, but as you say...who do you replace him with? Thus, I feel if they make the playoffs this year, then give him the entire '25 campaign and go from there.

As for what past HC to liken him to? I see John Robinson also leading his team to the playoffs six of his first seven seasons. John had a playoff record of 4-6 as Sean is 5-6. But Robinson has that extra CCG-appearance, and he never had a Josh Allen either. I guess I'd, so far, place Sean somewhere between (beneath) Robinson and (above) Dennis Green. "So far" the key words in that his story still has yet to be written.