Ray Brown (OL)

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
Halas Hall

Ray Brown (OL)

Post by Halas Hall »

Wondering what people think.

Is offensive lineman Ray Brown a "first ballot" Hall of Very Good inductee after playing in 250 + games and making the Pro Bowl so late in his career?

I do not think he is eligible for a while. Quite a player.

Thanks.
Nick
JohnTurney

Re: Ray Brown (OL)

Post by JohnTurney »

Halas Hall wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2024 9:01 pm Wondering what people think.

Is offensive lineman Ray Brown a "first ballot" Hall of Very Good inductee after playing in 250 + games and making the Pro Bowl so late in his career?

I do not think he is eligible for a while. Quite a player.

Thanks.
Nick
he also missed an entire season or it would be 20 years -- became full-time starter at age 31
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Halas Hall wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2024 9:01 pm Is offensive lineman Ray Brown a "first ballot" Hall of Very Good inductee after playing in 250 + games and making the Pro Bowl so late in his career?
I don't know what the correct interpretation of this would be. Something similar happened to Mike Kenn and Ken Riley....kind of randomly late in their careers they were named 1st Team All Pro after getting no recognition the previous decade. I think in Kenn's case and Riley's to a lesser extent that the overall team success helped 'boost' their status. But I interpret this as the voters saying "yeah, you were always a great player....sorry for continually overlooking you....here is your All Pro vote now". JMO
Halas Hall

Post by Halas Hall »

I interpret this as the voters saying "yeah, you were always a great player....sorry for continually overlooking you....here is your All Pro vote now". JMO

I think you're correct.

Thank you all for your insights.

Nick
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

Bryan wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2024 9:44 am I think in Kenn's case
Kenn in 1991 --- team success helped, no doubt. But he started by having good games against some noted edge guys and it got some press. Then he kept it up and allowed just one sack on the season.

I think writers would call each other about who was All-pro- and word spread. New York writers would mention him, made him, like on their midseason All-Pro teams and so on ...TV announcers would mention him.

I don't think it was a long and meritorious All-Pro ... he was probably one of top 3-4 tackles that year and got support. But agree that it would not have happened if he had same season and Falcons were as bad as in previous years. Also, he had a little of momentum from year before --- Dr Z named him to his 1990 All-pro team ... talking about Kenn playing at a high level again.

Riley, the long and meritorious thing makes most sense. Passing 60 TDs, pick 6s, defensive being good. Mike Haynes out of the picture ... other things that prob. helped.
Attachments
2024-08-22_16-26-36.jpg
2024-08-22_16-26-36.jpg (17.93 KiB) Viewed 3285 times