Giants/Rams history

74_75_78_79_

Giants/Rams history

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Starting back in 1938, when the Rams were in Cleveland, both franchises have met 47 times with the Rams thus far leading, 30-17.

And two of those are playoff games. Both such games are within an era that I'll focus on to start this thread. That 'era' being when Bill Parcells and John Robinson were the respective HCs at the same time from 1983 thru 1990. Not only was '83 each their first year as an NFL HC, but both squared off in the opener, at the Meadowlands! With Jack Youngblood still at their service (2 sacks), the Rams won, 16-6!

In '84, both met twice. First, Rams clobber the G-men, at home, 33-12! But then, in the WCG in LA, Tuna avenges things with a 16-13 advance.

The other of the just two playoff games between both teams would be in '89. After pounding them, 31-10, at home earlier in the season, the Rams as a wild card, coming off a win at the Vet, beat the 12-4 second-seed Giants at the Meadowlands, 19-13, in OT!

That very divisional round win would make it 5-2 in favor of Robinson over Parcells head-to-head to end the '80s. But then came 1990 with Parcells getting the ultimate last laugh with a 31-7 trouncing in LA en route to, of course, a second World Championship in five years as the Rams would fall hard to 5-11! But, final score: Robinson 5, Parcells 3.

Whether further delving into this particular time frame or now taking it to pre-'83 and/or post-'90, what thoughts/games come to mind?

PS - looking at all the games played, plenty of big streaks, I see!

EDIT - interesting article here…

https://www.deseret.com/1991/9/28/18943 ... commodity/

Parcells, perhaps, replacing Robinson at the end of the season?? And this already being said early on after the 1-3 start?
sheajets

Re: Giants/Rams history

Post by sheajets »

I remember seeing an NFL Films clip where supposedly the old Rams tackle Irv Pankey was the only guy in the league who could somewhat control LT...and how in an upcoming matchup with the Rams Parcells constantly talked up Pankey dominating LT until Taylor finally lost it and ended up spending most of the day in the Rams backfield

Our local sports radio kingpin Mike Francesa has always called that 1989 Divisional Playoff "Da Flippah Andissin Game". Francesa had a very cozy relationship with Parcells and has always claimed that that was the single worst game he's seen him coach. I was actually in attendance for it, as a neutral observer Jets fan. I came away a huge fan of Henry Ellard as he was absolutely brilliant all game. He's a guy who still doesn't get the credit he deserves for a magnificent career
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

74_75_78_79_ wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 12:14 pm The other of the just two playoff games between both teams would be in '89. After pounding them, 31-10, at home earlier in the season, the Rams as a wild card, coming off a win at the Vet, beat the 12-4 second-seed Giants at the Meadowlands, 19-13, in OT!

Rams used the 5 LBer dime defense in that game ... as they did the week before to beat Philly. Not the Eagle 5-LBer defense they used that year but a different one ... for passing downs

4 LBers as defensive linemen and 1 guy in middle and 6 DBs. In the base defense Rams stopped the run well enough to get Giants in passing situations and they thrwarted Simms decently.

Then Rams got creamed in SF the week later.

In 1984 Robinson made a blunder ... or whoever made the call .. ran Crtichfield in goalline situation rather than Dickerson. I guess thinking it would fool the Giants ... Kemp was QB, maybe a more experienced QB calls audible ... Kemp, though, no touch ... but he did hit some bombs that year. Had good arm but not passing passing game was nil.

Jack Youngblood couldn't run, it was his final game ... bad back cause nerves to not fire, and had no leg drive. Rams in that game used a 5-man defensive line a little bit ...were a 3-4 team during year, and a 4-2-5 nickel ... but threw Giants a curve with the 5 Dl. I don't think they used it all year ... may have would have to check...
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

sheajets wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 9:32 am I came away a huge fan of Henry Ellard as he was absolutely brilliant all game. He's a guy who still doesn't get the credit he deserves for a magnificent career.
I agree about Ellard and just to remind, he is eligible for the HOVG for the first time this year (and he is pretty deserving). He led the NFL in receiving yards per game twice (in 1988 and 1989) and came in second place another two times (1990 and 1994). At the time of his retirement, only Jerry Rice and James Lofton had more receiving yards in their careers.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

Gary Najman wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 4:04 pm
sheajets wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 9:32 am I came away a huge fan of Henry Ellard as he was absolutely brilliant all game. He's a guy who still doesn't get the credit he deserves for a magnificent career.
I agree about Ellard and just to remind, he is eligible for the HOVG for the first time this year (and he is pretty deserving). He led the NFL in receiving yards per game twice (in 1988 and 1989) and came in second place another two times (1990 and 1994). At the time of his retirement, only Jerry Rice and James Lofton had more receiving yards in their careers.
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... laHe00.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Ellard
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

JuggernautJ wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 6:47 pm
Gary Najman wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 4:04 pm
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... laHe00.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Ellard
Totally forgot he was a Patriot at the very tail end of his career. Or that he was even in the NFL still in 1998. Got it in my head that he retired around 96 or so
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

sheajets wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 9:32 am Our local sports radio kingpin Mike Francesa has always called that 1989 Divisional Playoff "Da Flippah Andissin Game". Francesa had a very cozy relationship with Parcells and has always claimed that that was the single worst game he's seen him coach.
That's kind of a strange sentiment. The Rams were better than the Giants in 1989. The Giants averaged only 4.7 YPP (while giving up 4.9) and lost to the Rams 31-10 in the regular season, a game in which the Giants totaled 6 rushing yards.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

Bryan wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 3:34 pm
sheajets wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 9:32 am Our local sports radio kingpin Mike Francesa has always called that 1989 Divisional Playoff "Da Flippah Andissin Game". Francesa had a very cozy relationship with Parcells and has always claimed that that was the single worst game he's seen him coach.
That's kind of a strange sentiment. The Rams were better than the Giants in 1989. The Giants averaged only 4.7 YPP (while giving up 4.9) and lost to the Rams 31-10 in the regular season, a game in which the Giants totaled 6 rushing yards.
That's true...homer sentiment on his part as he is a Giants fan
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

I still thought the Giants were better. They were 8-1 when they had a letdown against the Rams earlier. The Rams had more speed but not as tough a team. Anderson ran well in the playoff game but with Bavaro out and the wideouts only catching four passes, the Giants offense couldn't score enough points but the Rams deserve credit for those wins. Too bad they didn't show up the following week ...
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Before Robinson/Parcells, just one time did both teams qualify for the playoffs in the same year…1950. And just one time since ’89 have they both qualified together…2000.

That makes seven times total in 86 seasons they both makings the playoffs together (Rams took the season off in ’43); and seven additional years in which both didn’t make the playoffs together, but both at least achieved a winning season - five of those such seasons crammed in the ’50s. The other two such seasons being '46 and '70.