2024 Hall of Very Good Nominations

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
JuggernautJ

2024 Hall of Very Good Nominations

Post by JuggernautJ »

Hi All,
The nomination process for this year's class of the Hall of Very Good is now officially open.
Nominations close on June 30th of this year.

To be eligible to nominate you must be a member in good standing of the PFRA.

To be eligible for nomination you must have last been in professional football in the 1998 season.
(Anyone who played/coached/etc. from 1999 to current is not yet eligible.)

Please send up to 5 nominations to Andy Piascik at: andypiascik@yahoo.com
Brian wolf

Re: 2024 Hall of Very Good Nominations

Post by Brian wolf »

Switching gears this year. Giving recognition, votes for other pro football league players besides the ones who played in the AAFC/AFL/NFL ...

George Andrie
Don Doll
Jim David
Doug Flutie
Gary Ablet Sr.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Just clarifying ... so Rugby, Australian Rules legends are ineligible for the HOVG?
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

Brian wolf wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 9:18 pm Switching gears this year. Giving recognition, votes for other pro football league players besides the ones who played in the AAFC/AFL/NFL ...

George Andrie
Don Doll
Jim David
Doug Flutie
Gary Ablet Sr.
Doug Flutie is not yet eligible. He last played in 2005.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

Joe Kopcha, G
Jim Nance, FB
Ahmad Rashad, WR
Jim Bakken, K
Jarrel Wilson, P

Kopcha --- overlooked, by msot of us ... solid All-pro numbers --- and was a member of PFRA and friend of Bob Carroll

Nance, to me a companion to GIlchrist as top AFL FBs

Rashad --- the 'nearly perfect receiver" ... maybe not that but skill set and eye test to me have him worth a nomination

Bakken --- tribute to RUpert Patrick ... was very high in his PAL and PAL2 and was clutch kicker... better than just the good kickers of straight on era.

Wilson --- IMO, not the best statistical punter out there ... a bit too many blocked and a bit too many returned ... I think --- statically Bobby Joe Green better ... but since stats only recently available ... will never get his due --- but Wilson was All-Time AFL and kicked the stuffing out of the ball and plenty of the "alls".

Those are my five "new" players ...
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

JohnTurney wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 8:46 pm Joe Kopcha, G
Jim Nance, FB
Ahmad Rashad, WR
Jim Bakken, K
Jarrel Wilson, P

Kopcha --- overlooked, by msot of us ... solid All-pro numbers --- and was a member of PFRA and friend of Bob Carroll

Nance, to me a companion to GIlchrist as top AFL FBs

Rashad --- the 'nearly perfect receiver" ... maybe not that but skill set and eye test to me have him worth a nomination

Bakken --- tribute to RUpert Patrick ... was very high in his PAL and PAL2 and was clutch kicker... better than just the good kickers of straight on era.

Wilson --- IMO, not the best statistical punter out there ... a bit too many blocked and a bit too many returned ... I think --- statically Bobby Joe Green better ... but since stats only recently available ... will never get his due --- but Wilson was All-Time AFL and kicked the stuffing out of the ball and plenty of the "alls".

Those are my five "new" players ...
Has Bobby Joe Green ever been nominated for the hovg
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

rewing84 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 10:00 pm

Has Bobby Joe Green ever been nominated for the hovg
Don't know for sure ... I'd guess not. Turns out Wilson is already nominated ...
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

According to Andy, Damon Allen from the CFL isn't eligible as well.
I thought Flutie was eligible ...
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

Clarification: if I were to join pfra today or tomorrow when would I be eligible to nominate someone for the pfra hall of very good and also vote for the HOVG

R.Ewing
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

rewing84 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 9:59 pm Clarification: if I were to join pfra today or tomorrow when would I be eligible to nominate someone for the pfra hall of very good and also vote for the HOVG

R.Ewing
You are eligible to nominate and vote as soon as you join.
It may take a day or two for you to get on the "official" membership roles.
Nominations are open now. Voting will begin shortly after Nominations close.
Brian wolf wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 6:33 am According to Andy, Damon Allen from the CFL isn't eligible as well.
I thought Flutie was eligible ...
As Matt said, players have to be out of Football for 25 years and Flutie last played in 2005.

Regarding Damon Allen and Gary Ablet, Sr., etcetera:
The HOVG is for US football only. Someone who played/coached in Canada and the US is eligible but not someone who played/coached exclusively in Canada (or Australia or anywhere else). That can change if the HOVG Committee decides to do so but that will have to happen during our offseason. It can't be done while the election cycle is underway.

Regarding those already in a Hall of Fame:
We'll also have to discuss whether Flutie or anyone else who is in the Canadian HOF is eligible (in Flutie's case, when his 25 years is up). I would think such a person is not eligible for the HOVG.

As the (a) Hall of Fame is greater than the Hall of Very Good it would seem (J's opinion) that they have already received a greater honor and are therefor ineligible for the HoVG.
In a way the HoVG is to honor those who have been bypassed for the (a) Hall of Fame. Hence the 25 year period out of football which coincides with the Pro Football Hall of Fame's time period when someone ceases to be eligible for regular enshrinement and becomes eligible only for "Senior" recognition.

Further Clarification on the 25 Year Rule:
It applies to all players but not coaches. A coach is eligible as long as it's reasonable to believe he's retired and highly unlikely to return to coaching. We also will not consider someone like Belichick who may be retired but is highly likely to get elected to the HOF.

I would think (J's opinion) any coach so considered would have to be out of football for a significant amount of time (or deceased) to eliminate any chance they might return to active Coaching. As we cannot reliably predict who might be enshrined in Canton we would have to err on the side of non-inclusion for borderline candidates.