Intentional Grounding 'interpretations'

Bryan

Intentional Grounding 'interpretations'

Post by Bryan »

Saw a couple strange 'intentional grounding' situations this past weekend:

1) Vikings-Bears - Kirk Cousins is getting rushed and lobs the ball to his FB who is releasing from his block and turning around. The FB swipes at the ball as it goes over his head. Refs flag Cousins for intentional grounding, which was a huge call late in a 6-point game. It made absolutely zero sense. Dean Blandino was of course silent, because he is stealing money from TV networks. I still don't understand the call. There have been many times when I've seen QBs rifle the ball at the feet of a RB to avoid a sack, and nothing is ever called. It was very weird. Which leads us to one of the least-appealing games I've ever watched...

2) Browns-49ers - I usually try to avoid games that are reffed by John Hussey, because his crew typically extends the game by 45 minutes due to excessive penalty calls and 'committee meetings', and this game was no different. Late in the 1st half, the Niners sacked Browns QB PJ Walker and the ball comes out before he hits the ground. Bosa scoops up the ball and appears to be on his way to a TD but the refs whistle the play dead and rule it an incomplete pass. You really have to see the play to believe it. Not only is it obviously not a pass attempt by Walker, but he lost control of the ball before trying to push the ball forward. But regardless, shouldn't that have at least been 'intentional grounding' on Walker? He threw an incompletion to avoid a sack?
JameisBrownston

Re: Intentional Grounding 'interpretations'

Post by JameisBrownston »

I've certainly noticed my share of wildly errant "throws" to precisely nobody, except maybe the ball boy by the other team's bench, that I was puzzled weren't called for intentional grounding. And what of those "passes" where the QB is going down, the ball is coming loose, and he just weakly flips it forward, those ones that often get reviewed as possible fumbles? Sometimes they get near a target, sometimes not, but I never hear them called IG.
Citizen

Re: Intentional Grounding 'interpretations'

Post by Citizen »

If there are such things as make-up calls, the Cousins one was to compensate Chicago for the earlier reversal of the fumble/backward pass recovery.