JAX two straight weeks in London

racepug

JAX two straight weeks in London

Post by racepug »

What the heck? Why did the N.F.L. have JAX play in London two straight weeks? I know that Jacksonville is notorious for not supporting the Jaguars particularly well (given the Jags' relative lack of success over the years I can kinda understand why) but I thought the N.F.L. had a rule about not making teams play overseas even in consecutive years, let alone consecutive weeks. What gives?
Bryan

Re: JAX two straight weeks in London

Post by Bryan »

I agree its weird at first glance, but I think it shows how sterile the NFL has become. The players are interchangeable, the teams are all the same, and where the games are played doesn't really matter, either. I didn't realize the Jags were playing in London last weekend. I don't keep track of the NFL like I used to, but, also, playing in London is no longer a novelty. I would actually be interested if they played in the Australian Outback or in Antarctica. London is so overdone that they used to have their own pro team in the WLAF with Stan Gelbaugh completing passes to Judd Garrett.

One thing that I used to think was stupid was the teams that played in multipurpose stadiums. At the start of the year, you'd have pro teams playing games on baseball diamonds. But at least it differentiated things. Now, even the stadiums are pretty much all the same.
Crazy Packers Fan

Post by Crazy Packers Fan »

This is actually better for the players than if they had to fly to London in September, fly back to Jacksonville, then fly back to London in late October. You can argue that making a team play 2 games in London is too much, but if they're going to play 2 in London, might as well get them over with in consecutive weeks. If the NFL ever puts a team in London, this is probably how it'll look - 4 weeks in London, 4 weeks in the States, etc.
racepug

Post by racepug »

My question was more about JAX being scheduled to play in London two times this season, not specifically about having to play there two weeks in a row (although it looks like it's the Bills who are sacrificing a home date next Sunday instead of JAX) but I get your point.