Homer Jones-The First Celebrator

LeonardRachiele

Homer Jones-The First Celebrator

Post by LeonardRachiele »

Most players' conduct after a touchdown is, to me, repulsive.  No one has to dance,  jump, high five, or run around.  I really think that raising a hand to the crowd, ala Babe Ruth is fine.   Handshaking among teammates shows that individual accomplishments are for the whole team.  When players score a touchdown or gain big yardage, they should act like they have done it before.  It implies excellence without any frills.

The first man to celebrate was Homer Jones.  It was in a way that now seems innocuous; Jones merely spiked the football after scoring a touchdown.  Homer Jones played seven years in the NFL from 1964 to 1970.  The first six were with the New York Giants and the last with the Cleveland Browns.  In his career,  Jones caught 224 passes for 4,986 yards and 36 touchdowns.  That is at least 36 wild spikes.  He led the league with 13 touchdown catches in 1967.  Jones' longest receptions were for 99 and 98 yards.

After Jones came Billy "White Shoes" Johnson from the Houston Oilers.  Johnson, who came from Widener College, began the dances and the trend continues regrettably until today.
RRMarshall

Re: Homer Jones-The First Celebrator

Post by RRMarshall »

In between those 2 was KC WR Elmo Wright, who invented the wild dancing spike. He didn't stick around long enough to patent it though :D
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

Homer Jones didn't spike the ball in 1964 (no TDs in '64), but I'll tell you who was spiking it that year. Denver Bronco Hewritt Dixon. Dixon should be crediting with first celebrating TDs in this manner. Of course maybe he picked it up from someone else. I've seen only film of Dixon doing it in '64.

Why has Homer been credited? My guess is an NFL bias by the Sabols. It's a guess, I'm loathe to make anti-AFL bias a reason without more info.
Sonny9

Post by Sonny9 »

LeonardRachiele wrote:Most players' conduct after a touchdown is, to me, repulsive.  No one has to dance,  jump, high five, or run around.  I really think that raising a hand to the crowd, ala Babe Ruth is fine.   Handshaking among teammates shows that individual accomplishments are for the whole team.  When players score a touchdown or gain big yardage, they should act like they have done it before.  It implies excellence without any frills.

The first man to celebrate was Homer Jones.  It was in a way that now seems innocuous; Jones merely spiked the football after scoring a touchdown.  Homer Jones played seven years in the NFL from 1964 to 1970.  The first six were with the New York Giants and the last with the Cleveland Browns.  In his career,  Jones caught 224 passes for 4,986 yards and 36 touchdowns.  That is at least 36 wild spikes.  He led the league with 13 touchdown catches in 1967.  Jones' longest receptions were for 99 and 98 yards.

After Jones came Billy "White Shoes" Johnson from the Houston Oilers.  Johnson, who came from Widener College, began the dances and the trend continues regrettably until today.
Get off my lawn! lol