Misspelled names on uniforms

Jay Z

Misspelled names on uniforms

Post by Jay Z »

I believe this might be a new topic for us! Witness the 1970 New York Giants hosting the St. Louis Cardinals and their #1 draft choice linebacker:

[img]Flies%202.png[/img]
Attachments
Flies 2.png
Flies 2.png (180.79 KiB) Viewed 18350 times
Dusty Sloan

Re: Misspelled names on uniforms

Post by Dusty Sloan »

Can't find a pic, but in the 1987 replacement season, Philadelphia Eagles QB/P/H/ST Guido Merkens' uniform showed Merkins in the opener on Oct. 4 vs. the Chicago Bears.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct- ... story.html
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

I'd be curious as to why Favre is pronounced Farve?

also apparently this happened when he was on the Bears as well

ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

Not a misspelling but seeing this thread made me think of Marty Schottenheimer's uniform situation from way back when...

sheajets

Post by sheajets »

Happens to the best of 'em

John Grasso

Post by John Grasso »

The first misspelling on a team uniform that I remember was Ted Kluszewski with the White Sox in either 1959 or 1960.
The Z was backwards - not sure if it was intentional or not though. Bill Veeck had just become the team's owner.

My alltime favorite misspelling of an athlete's name was heavyweight boxer David Bey. He had his name tattooed
on his chest but it was misspelled "BAY" although he claimed that it was that way because people kept mispronouncing his name.
RyanChristiansen

Post by RyanChristiansen »

Minnesota Vikings defensive end Everson Griffen's name was misspelled "Griffin" on his jersey in 2016. He was in his seventh season with the team already. As my wife and I like to joke, "I guess the interns were working that day."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... /91826142/
"Five seconds to go... A field goal could win it. Up in the air! Going deep! Tipped! Caught! Touchdown! The Vikings! They win it! Time has run out!" - Vikings 28, Browns 23, December 14, 1980, Metropolitan Stadium
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

Not a misspelled name, but I remember in the 70's-80s that almost all the teams (minus the Steelers, I think) when they had two players with the same surname they put their initial (example, the Dallas Cowboys with Danny White [D. WHITE] and Randy White [R. WHITE]) or if they had the same initial they put their entire name (example, the Los Angeles Ram JACK YOUNGBLOOD and JIM YOUNGBLOOD). When they had the same fitrst name (example, the Cleveland Browns' two Robert Jackson's became R. E. JACKSON and R. L. JACKSON).

As for abreviated surnames, RB Chuck Weatherspoon surname appeared as SPOON with the Philadeklphia Eagles in the 1991 pre-season.

As for the Pittsburgh Steelers, in 1979 both Anthony Anderson and Larry Anderson appeared as ANDERSON in their jerseys.
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

Bills DT Bob Tatarek's name is misspelled here ...
Attachments
Tatarek
Tatarek
Taterak.JPG (81.09 KiB) Viewed 18281 times
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

Always thought this photo was kinda cheesy … They couldn't find some green fabric to sew over the name plate when Sauer posed for this picture?
Attachments
Sauer
Sauer
George_Sauer_Jr.jpg (48.06 KiB) Viewed 18268 times
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."