I lost the NFL Network

Rupert Patrick

I lost the NFL Network

Post by Rupert Patrick »

While I did dislike about 90 percent of their host-driven programming, they did replay NFL games I didn't get to see during the week, and in the off-season I would occasionally watch NFL Films related shows, but ATT Uverse and Direct TV both dropped the NFL Network. I turned it on last night to check about the 2019 schedule and it wasn't there:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/f ... story.html
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
ChrisBabcock

Re: I lost the NFL Network

Post by ChrisBabcock »

You’ll probably get used to no longer getting it. I don’t receive the NFL Network and don’t really care. Any news related programming I end up hearing about elsewhere. Anything of historical value usually ends up on youtube sooner or later.
RyanChristiansen

Post by RyanChristiansen »

Rupert Patrick wrote:While I did dislike about 90 percent of their host-driven programming, they did replay NFL games I didn't get to see during the week, and in the off-season I would occasionally watch NFL Films related shows, but ATT Uverse and Direct TV both dropped the NFL Network. I turned it on last night to check about the 2019 schedule and it wasn't there:

This happens all of the time with these sports networks. Here in North Dakota we went through a cable TV service and two satellite dish services, and each time they had fights with Fox Sports North and we could no longer watch the Twins. (They also refused to deal with Victory Sports Network, the short-lived Twins-owned network.)

Then a regionally owned cable network moved into town and now we have no complaints. It's been years since we've experienced a problem while the other providers (mentioned above) continue to fight over licensing fees.

The big, big corporations try to squeeze one another every which way but loose so that the CEOs can walk away with big bonuses.
"Five seconds to go... A field goal could win it. Up in the air! Going deep! Tipped! Caught! Touchdown! The Vikings! They win it! Time has run out!" - Vikings 28, Browns 23, December 14, 1980, Metropolitan Stadium
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

ChrisBabcock wrote:You’ll probably get used to no longer getting it. I don’t receive the NFL Network and don’t really care. Any news related programming I end up hearing about elsewhere. Anything of historical value usually ends up on youtube sooner or later.
My thoughts exactly. It was a good idea when it started, but it was ruined because of too much time in the studio (Total Access and Good Morning Football) and not enough historical content. I hope the network dies off eventually.
lastcat3

Post by lastcat3 »

Yeah when I had nfl network I found that I hardly ever watched it. It's still good viewing for those only interested in what is currently going on (which is the vast majority of nfl fans) but for those that are just as interested (if not more interested) in the nfl from days gone the channel can be pretty underwhelming.

I totally get why they put probably 95% of their focus on current news and what not because that is where the demand is but it can get pretty boring for those that like to occasionally watch some old games or documentaries.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

Rupert Patrick wrote:While I did dislike about 90 percent of their host-driven programming, they did replay NFL games I didn't get to see during the week, and in the off-season I would occasionally watch NFL Films related shows, but ATT Uverse and Direct TV both dropped the NFL Network. I turned it on last night to check about the 2019 schedule and it wasn't there:

DirecTV didn't drop NFLN, their streaming service DirecTV Now did. So if you have DirecTV you still have it.
JWL

Post by JWL »

Once the NFL season ends it is not often that I put on NFL Network until the draft days. Then I might not watch till preseason. Here and there I put it on if there is nothing going on in baseball.

I find MLB Network to be much more enjoyable.
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

Reaser wrote:

DirecTV didn't drop NFLN, their streaming service DirecTV Now did. So if you have DirecTV you still have it.
I have DirecTV and still have the NFL Network. I just saw a Top 10, Human Highlight Reels. Most "experts" were comedians. The rest were radio talk show hosts and an actor or two.
lastcat3

Post by lastcat3 »

SixtiesFan wrote:
Reaser wrote:

I have DirecTV and still have the NFL Network. I just saw a Top 10, Human Highlight Reels. Most "experts" were comedians. The rest were radio talk show hosts and an actor or two.
True. However the people that you see making comments in those programs aren't the ones making the lists. They are just shown the list that was made and asked to comment on it. The people that make the lists are the behind the scenes people. THe interviews they have on those programs are there just for pure entertainment value.
Evan

Post by Evan »

JWL wrote:
I find MLB Network to be much more enjoyable.
It's been eons since I had cable of any kind, but I do remember I liked the MLB network as well. They came out with a DVD set of a series called "The Seasons" which covered each year of the 1980s with one-hour documentaries. I remember really enjoying those, the interviews and pacing of the shows were very cool. I wish the NFL had a similarly-toned documentary for each year of its history too.