The Condoleezza Rice rumor

Rupert Patrick

The Condoleezza Rice rumor

Post by Rupert Patrick »

I cannot believe ESPN actually went to air with this story this morning, that an NFL franchise would actually entrust their head coaching duties to somebody who has never played nor coached football at any level. I know there cannot be a precedent for this in the entire history of professional football, or any major sport, that somebody who never played or coached at all in his life was suddenly appointed a Head Coach, and the only exception I know of being Ted Turner appointing himself Manager of the Atlanta Braves for one day before MLB shut him down. This is, of course, not a knock on Ms. Rice, who always seemed to be a very intelligent lady, but I think I speak for the forum in that I watch football 365 days a year and there is no way I could possibly coach an NFL team. Hell, it would take me about five years just to learn the playbook and audibles, much less being able to design a game plan or control all the egos on the team.

What was Adam Schefter thinking?

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2531 ... aching-job
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
BD Sullivan

Re: The Condoleezza Rice rumor

Post by BD Sullivan »

Rupert Patrick wrote:What was Adam Schefter thinking?

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2531 ... aching-job
"I'm Adam Schefter and I'm on ESPN, so I need to come up with some hysterical crap to get people talking..."

Speaking of ESPN, we may see if they can provide even more overklll this week to the overkill they would ordinarily pour into MNF, since they actually have a worthwhile game to watch.
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

I think the Browns are grasping at straws because all these coaches they've hired, have not done the job turning the team around. The team might feel Rice knows something about football because she was on the CFP.
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

sluggermatt15 wrote:I think the Browns are grasping at straws because all these coaches they've hired, have not done the job turning the team around. The team might feel Rice knows something about football because she was on the CFP.
I for one think the Browns are doing pretty well this season for a team who went 1-31 over the previous two seasons. They've only lost three games by more than a field goal, to Pittsburgh, Kansas City and the Chargers, all three of whom seem likely to go to the postseason this year. They tied the Steelers on opening day, upset the Ravens and Falcons, beat the Jets, lost to the Raiders, New Orleans and the Bucs, all on the road, by a field goal. Baker Mayfield is having a pretty decent rookie season, and Nick Chubb is running a 6.2 yards per attempt. They've still got a lot of holes to fill, but I believe they're headed in the right direction.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

Initially I thought the Browns put this out there to flatter her. Since she is a lifelong Browns fan

How did she end up on the college football selection committee either. 2014, 2015, and 2016 she was on it. How was this allowed to happen?
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

sheajets wrote:Initially I thought the Browns put this out there to flatter her. Since she is a lifelong Browns fan

How did she end up on the college football selection committee either. 2014, 2015, and 2016 she was on it. How was this allowed to happen?
It was known she was a huge football fan and it certainly checks virtually every box on the diversity list, so there was no chance of negative PR.
Jeremy Crowhurst

Post by Jeremy Crowhurst »

Haslam might be thinking that if a game show host can become president, then how big a leap is it for a former Secretary of State to be a head coach?

That, at least, would be consistent with most of the rest of the thinking he's demonstrated since taking over the team.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

She dated former Broncos WR Rick Upchurch in her youth.
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

Teo wrote:She dated former Broncos WR Rick Upchurch in her youth.
I remember she also dated Gene Washington (the former 49er) when she was working for the White House and he was Director of Football Operations for the NFL.

When I checked the Wikipedia to find out exactly what Gene Washington's title was with the NFL to ensure I had it correct, his entry mentioned his being a member of the PFRA Hall of Very Good.