What are some memorable hold outs and the cause behind them.

NWebster

What are some memorable hold outs and the cause behind them.

Post by NWebster »

I suppose Riggo is the best known historical one, I recall both Otis Wilson and Todd Bell did with the Bears. But it's rare in the NFL for it to last the full season, lots of Emmit Smith, Eric Dickerson style stuff where they miss a couple games and either force a trade or get a contract concession.
JWL

Re: What are some memorable hold outs and the cause behind t

Post by JWL »

Jeris White of the Redskins and Doug Williams of the Buccaneers held out in 1983 and Bobby Hebert of the Saints held out in 1990. All three held out over contract disputes which is pretty much always going to be the reason for a holdout one would think.

White never played again, Williams joined another league, and Hebert sat out a full season.
RRMarshall

Post by RRMarshall »

HOF Patriots guard John "Hog" Hannah and tackle Leon Gray held out at the start of the 1977 season after they felt the Patriots had reneged on promises to redo their contracts. They both missed the Patriots first four games and NE stumbled to a 9-7 record. Three years later RB Sam "Bam" Cunningham held out for the entire 1980 season. He returned in 1981 but was a shell of his former self, although he did set the franchise career rushing record before he retired (a record he still owns).
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

NWebster wrote:I suppose Riggo is the best known historical one, I recall both Otis Wilson and Todd Bell did with the Bears. But it's rare in the NFL for it to last the full season, lots of Emmit Smith, Eric Dickerson style stuff where they miss a couple games and either force a trade or get a contract concession.
I think it was Al Harris rather than Wilson and it cost both those guys a ring...bad move
Evan

Post by Evan »

In the late 1970s, the name Howard Slusher was synonymous with holdouts. I believe he was behind the Hannah/Gray holdout, although I believe Hannah also held out because his little brother was paid more than him right off the bat by the Bucs. Slusher also had Dan Fouts hold out in 1977, which I think led the Chargers to trade for James Harris.

Also with the Patriots, I can't remember if Russ Francis held out in his missed season or if he just retired because he was sick of the management.

A bunch of Rams held out for more money after they gave Johnnie Johnson a huge contract as a rookie.

Bert Jones almost led the whole Colts team to hold out before the 1976 opener unless Irsay reinstated Marchibroda. What a bizarre situation that was. OJ holding out demanding a trade until the day before the 1976 season opener also was a drama-fest.

Tarkenton holding out for money during the 1971 preseason probably hastened his exit from New York after that season.

Duane Thomas held out at many points during his all-too-short career.

To me, one of the most impactful holdouts I can remember was Don Majikowski in 1990. He was coming off a season in 1989 that absolutely terrified many Vikings fans, including me. He seemed like he had the magic of Montana. And with Sharpe and Fullwood in place, those looked like they might be the "triplets" before the triplets came to prominence in Dallas. If they could build around Tim Harris on defense, the Packers were primed for a long run through the 1990s.

But Majikowski held out for six weeks during the 1990 pre-season, finally signing on Sept. 5 (thanks to agent Randy Vataha), but he just never got back in synch with the Packers offense. i don't know what it was, but the Majik was gone. He went from being the hottest young name in the league (his 1989 Score rookie cards were swift sellers at $20 back then) to falling into mediocrity and then injuring his rotator cuff, eventually leading to a chance being given to that Favre guy.
vikingsfan1963

Post by vikingsfan1963 »

Surprised no one mentioned John Riggins's holdout in 1980 after back-to-back 1,000 yard seasons. I'm bored, I'm broke, and I'm back. After missing the entire '80 season he went on to rush for around 4,500 yds and score half of his career 104 touchdowns over the next 5 seasons, including a 1239 14 TD season at age 35!
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

Evan wrote:In the late 1970s, the name Howard Slusher was synonymous with holdouts. I believe he was behind the Hannah/Gray holdout, although I believe Hannah also held out because his little brother was paid more than him right off the bat by the Bucs. Slusher also had Dan Fouts hold out in 1977, which I think led the Chargers to trade for James Harris.

Also with the Patriots, I can't remember if Russ Francis held out in his missed season or if he just retired because he was sick of the management.

A bunch of Rams held out for more money after they gave Johnnie Johnson a huge contract as a rookie.

Bert Jones almost led the whole Colts team to hold out before the 1976 opener unless Irsay reinstated Marchibroda. What a bizarre situation that was. OJ holding out demanding a trade until the day before the 1976 season opener also was a drama-fest.

Tarkenton holding out for money during the 1971 preseason probably hastened his exit from New York after that season.

Duane Thomas held out at many points during his all-too-short career.

To me, one of the most impactful holdouts I can remember was Don Majikowski in 1990. He was coming off a season in 1989 that absolutely terrified many Vikings fans, including me. He seemed like he had the magic of Montana. And with Sharpe and Fullwood in place, those looked like they might be the "triplets" before the triplets came to prominence in Dallas. If they could build around Tim Harris on defense, the Packers were primed for a long run through the 1990s.

But Majikowski held out for six weeks during the 1990 pre-season, finally signing on Sept. 5 (thanks to agent Randy Vataha), but he just never got back in synch with the Packers offense. i don't know what it was, but the Majik was gone. He went from being the hottest young name in the league (his 1989 Score rookie cards were swift sellers at $20 back then) to falling into mediocrity and then injuring his rotator cuff, eventually leading to a chance being given to that Favre guy.
I remember Howard Slusher. His tactic was for the player to hold out through training camp and as long as possible. In 1977, Slusher had Roger Carr and John Dutton hold out on the Colts. Carr signed late in training camp, got injured and missed much of the season. I think Dutton held out through the first couple of games of the 1977 season.

As I recall (from Pro Football Weekly pieces) Fouts had a meeting with Charger management after they traded for James Harris. Afterward, Fouts began his holdout with Slusher as his agent. Fouts stayed out through training camp and the first 10 games of the 1977 season, coming back after Harris had a season ending injury.

This was Howard Slusher's method, keep holding out. Slusher was behind the Hannah-Gray holdout.
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

vikingsfan1963 wrote:Surprised no one mentioned John Riggins's holdout in 1980 after back-to-back 1,000 yard seasons. I'm bored, I'm broke, and I'm back. After missing the entire '80 season he went on to rush for around 4,500 yds and score half of his career 104 touchdowns over the next 5 seasons, including a 1239 14 TD season at age 35!
I don't think that was a holdout. I think he was just so disappointed after that Dallas loss in Week 16 of the 1979 season that he didn't feel like playing the next year.
JohnH19

Post by JohnH19 »

I guess Joe Kapp wasn't actually a hold out as it was a case of him and the Vikings not being able to come to an agreement on a new contract but I am absolutely positive that the Vikings would have won SB 5 and possibly 6 if he would have remained in purple.

By the time Sir Francis came back in '72, the team was beginning to age and the AFC became dominant. The 1975 team had the best shot at winning a rematch with Pittsburgh but the Hail Mary ruined that possibility.
conace21

Post by conace21 »

Emmitt Smith was the same case; I don't think he was actually a holdout. He was a restricted free agent who could have signed with any team. However, nobody made a serious offer, apparently because Jerry Jones had spread the word he would match any offer. Still hard to believe a 2 time rushing champion didn't get any major offers. Talk about a what-if! If someone had offered an outrageous offer to Smith, the Cowboys dynasty might have just become another one hit wonder.

Anyway, back to the OP. Defensive tackle Sean Gilbert received the franchise tag from Washington after the 1996 season. Gilbert couldn't come to terms on a multiyear deal and sat out the 1997 season. It worked out for both parties in the end as Carolina gave Gilbert a huge deal and sent two first round draft picks to Washington.