Manning Brady

JohnTurney

Manning Brady

Post by JohnTurney »

I've not waded into this too much. Butthere is a guy on Twitter named Ryan Michael, who seems like a nice guy, keeps posting and posting about how Manning is the "GOAT" and then uses tons of "metrics" to prove his point.

What I never saw him tackle was the dome factor. So I crushed a few simple numbers.

Per 16 games----and I included retractable roofs as indoors...though there had to be times the roofs were open...but still, it's kind of indoors...

Here are their career stats if the games played indoors and outdoors were revered. And remember...this would be all of Brady's indoor games were road games

But the stats reverse

Doesn't mean much except all of Mannings so-called "production" that is "better" than Brady's goes away, though I don't think there is that much of a difference, but Manning being in a dome would make up a lot, but Michael complains that Brady had better defenses...which he did, most of the time.

But I still contend stat matter, rings matter, awards matter, intangibles matter, testimonials matter. I perceive all of that edges towards Brady as the "GOAT" but Montana and Graham and Johnny U right there
TanksAndSpartans

Re: Manning Brady

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

Brady never had a defense like Manning had in his last game :)

If they go with 4 QBs on the 100 year team, who does Brady knock off? Baugh? Graham? Unitas? Montana? I'd guess Baugh - which is consistent with who John mentioned. I wouldn't think Manning is in that discussion, but I don't know.
Ken Crippen
Site Moderator

Post by Ken Crippen »

TanksAndSpartans wrote:Brady never had a defense like Manning had in his last game :)

If they go with 4 QBs on the 100 year team, who does Brady knock off? Baugh? Graham? Unitas? Montana? I'd guess Baugh - which is consistent with who John mentioned. I wouldn't think Manning is in that discussion, but I don't know.
I would guess that Baugh and/or Graham would be knocked off. It would not surprise me if they picked Brady, Manning, Brees, and Montana. The other guys are too old and played before the beginning of pro football (Super Bowl I). Unitas crossing over into the beginnings of pro football may allow him to make the cut.
TanksAndSpartans

I forgot about Brees. I'm pretty cynical about the appreciation for history when it comes to this stuff, but I don't think they'll completely gut the QB position of old timers. Maybe Graham does get eliminated before Baugh given his name is less known and I suspect there will be an interest in keeping a few historical names around (Baugh, Nagurski and maybe Hutson come to mind). I think it'll be more subtle - Van Buren disappears at HB, Motley at FB, Hein at C - you know players that won't be missed because no one heard of them anyway :)
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

TanksAndSpartans wrote:Brady never had a defense like Manning had in his last game :)

Great question, but they should exhamd to 5, but I think they will expand to 6 so as to let Manning on. But, if anyone gets knocked off it would be Baugh, I agree with you.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

For quite sometime up until recently, I saw Brady/Manning as an 'eternal' debate. But I have to agree with those on here who say that the debate is, pretty much, 'over' in Brady's favor albeit his longevity (staying at his peak this very long) and/or having more Rings, etc. Peyton still has quite some artillery on his side though, it's not a landslide, but end of debate Brady's now going to always win IMO.

The new debate (for '2nd'-best this century) now would be Manning/Brees. Peyton's got the extra Ring but Drew beat him head-to-head in their SB affair. Does another Ring for Brees before he retires 'clinch' his own debate over #18?
Ken Crippen
Site Moderator

Post by Ken Crippen »

TanksAndSpartans wrote:I forgot about Brees. I'm pretty cynical about the appreciation for history when it comes to this stuff, but I don't think they'll completely gut the QB position of old timers. Maybe Graham does get eliminated before Baugh given his name is less known and I suspect there will be an interest in keeping a few historical names around (Baugh, Nagurski and maybe Hutson come to mind). I think it'll be more subtle - Van Buren disappears at HB, Motley at FB, Hein at C - you know players that won't be missed because no one heard of them anyway :)
They usually toss in a few token old guys to make it look like they are acknowledging history. However, the main focus will be on recent players.
TanksAndSpartans

Ken Crippen wrote:
TanksAndSpartans wrote:They usually toss in a few token old guys to make it look like they are acknowledging history. However, the main focus will be on recent players.
Right, I know. For the 75th year team, they put out a two-way team at least, but I'm not sure many paid attention to it and it was odd in a lot of ways. Van Buren wasn't known as a two-way player nor a great defender, Pihos starred on both offense and defense, but during different seasons and not during the era where playing both ways was predominant, Thorpe didn't make the team, etc. I'm not sure they will bother since certainly we haven't had any significant new two-way players in the last 25 years - it would just be acknowledging the first one wasn't well done.
JohnH19

Post by JohnH19 »

74_75_78_79_ wrote:For quite sometime up until recently, I saw Brady/Manning as an 'eternal' debate. But I have to agree with those on here who say that the debate is, pretty much, 'over' in Brady's favor albeit his longevity (staying at his peak this very long) and/or having more Rings, etc. Peyton still has quite some artillery on his side though, it's not a landslide, but end of debate Brady's now going to always win IMO.

The new debate (for '2nd'-best this century) now would be Manning/Brees. Peyton's got the extra Ring but Drew beat him head-to-head in their SB affair. Does another Ring for Brees before he retires 'clinch' his own debate over #18?
In a word; no. Brees is great. Manning was special. Another SB win for Drew changes nothing.
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

I wouldn't have Brady and Brees in my top all-time QB's. They have benefited a lot from playing in this passer-friendly era. And, Brady was (and maybe still is) a benefactor of cheating. A-Rod is the best QB of the 21st century so far, and I would put him up there with Marino, Elway, Unitas, and maybe Jurgensen and Montana at the top. Peyton would be right behind.