oddball stuff you track

JWL

oddball stuff you track

Post by JWL »

Some of us keep our own databases of various stats such as 100-yard runners.

What are some of the more esoteric things you collect?

I have recently considered tracking all the Jets 4th down plays as far back as I can go but I'm not sure I will have the time or patience for it.
ChrisBabcock

Re: oddball stuff you track

Post by ChrisBabcock »

I have a running list of the greatest players by jersey number for every franchise....... ok everybody stop laughing. :D
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

Here's some weird missed field goal trivia you never hear, and all of this is thru the end of the 2017 season, regular season stats only.. George Blanda is the all time leader in missed field goals with 306, with Lou Groza second with 217. Adam Vinatieri, who will break the all time scoring mark in a couple weeks, is tied at number 27 on the career missed field goal list at 104 with Jason Elam, just ahead of Garo Yepremian with 103.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
JWL

Post by JWL »

Oh, I do track all the occasions when teammates gain 150 or more yards receiving in the same game and a major pro football league game does not have a touchdown. I had a page and an article, respectively, on these things in The Coffin Corner. Updated info is available whenever someone has any interest.
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

ChrisBabcock wrote:I have a running list of the greatest players by jersey number for every franchise....... ok everybody stop laughing. :D
oh my …
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

I don't personally track it but the more bizarre records seem to fascinate me. Like the old Tampa has never won a game when the temperature at opening kickoff was under (was it 40 degrees?) The Jets having never beaten the Eagles in the regular season (never won a game in the state of PA until 2010)
NWebster

Post by NWebster »

I have a blocked kick database buy type like punt extra point or field goal and distance whether or not there was a touchdown return all that kind of good stuff. If anybody has any good left kick data from earlier than 1960 I'd love to see it.
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

NWebster wrote:I have a blocked kick database buy type like punt extra point or field goal and distance whether or not there was a touchdown return all that kind of good stuff. If anybody has any good left kick data from earlier than 1960 I'd love to see it.
I just sent you a PM.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

sheajets wrote:I don't personally track it but the more bizarre records seem to fascinate me. Like the old Tampa has never won a game when the temperature at opening kickoff was under (was it 40 degrees?) The Jets having never beaten the Eagles in the regular season (never won a game in the state of PA until 2010)
Another weird one was the Browns not playing a regular season game in Green Bay until 2001.
JWL

Post by JWL »

About an hour after the Packers-Seahawks game ended last night, I saw something odd on Twitter. A guy indicated that since 2015 the Packers lead the league in most timeouts used prior to the 5:00 mark of the 4th quarter. (I wish I noted who put this out there. I can say it was an individual I never heard of before as opposed to the Elias Sports Bureau account or USA Today Sports or whatever).

I found it to be interesting although I don't know if it proves anything. The guy did seem to indicate that it proves Mike McCarthy does not know how to properly use timeouts. I think a lot of that kind of thing is circumstantial, but that maybe it just me.

Anyway, wow! People will track just about anything. I wonder what team leads in the department of most timeouts used prior to the 11:35 mark of the 4th quarter in all games since October 25, 2016. Somebody get on this now. I want an answer by 4 pm.