new books for 2018

JWL

new books for 2018

Post by JWL »

Kindly use this thread to note books that we may be of interest.

I have bought the following three-
"Football For A Buck" by Jeff Pearlman
"The Genius of Desperation" by Doug Farrar
"Starless: The 1947 Pittsburgh Steelers" by Steve Massey

I also have the book on the 1958 Colts.

I skimmed through "Beyond Broadway Joe" by Bob Lederer. Like books on the 1960s Packers and 1970s Steelers, I'm not sure we needed another book on the 1968 Jets. That said, there are photos of scouting reports and other stuff from Weeb Ewbank's library. It is worth perusing the book just for those photos. The author appears to have done a nice job mentioning all the players on the team. I suppose as a Jets fan, I'll get it at some point.

If you like the Eagles, you probably have a good half dozen new books out on them including an update to Ray Didinger's Eagles encyclopedia.
Reaser

Re: new books for 2018

Post by Reaser »

JWL wrote:"Football For A Buck" by Jeff Pearlman
This is the one I was waiting for this year.
JWL

Post by JWL »

Reaser wrote:

I have it but may not get around to reading it till the offseason. I liked that there is a Sam Bowers quote in the book. Bowers played for the New Jersey Generals. I sat on his leg as a youth at a free autograph signing at a department store in New Jersey. If you don't meet many players, you fondly remember the ones you spoke to even if only for a few moments as long as the guy was not a jerk.
NWebster

Post by NWebster »

Reaser wrote:
I'd have to say the Jim Byrne and Paul Reeths books were both pretty good already, but then most of these guys are around and have good memories of those days so I'm sure there's more that can be uncovered. Of course the two most interesting owners are either not with us anymore of otherwise occupied.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

NWebster wrote:I'd have to say the Jim Byrne and Paul Reeths books were both pretty good already, but then most of these guys are around and have good memories of those days so I'm sure there's more that can be uncovered. Of course the two most interesting owners are either not with us anymore of otherwise occupied.
Agreed, have both. That's where the interest is, what's 'new'.
John Maxymuk

Post by John Maxymuk »

Pearlman's book is what you would expect from him. Here's my capsule review for Library Journal:
Pearlman is known for presenting an unvarnished look at sports heroes with lively prose that borders on the sensationalistic. The long-defunct United States Football League is a good match for his approach. The USFL began in 1983 as a spring football league with modest ambitions of filling a niche for football fans unhappy that the season ended with the Super Bowl. That modesty didn’t last long once Donald Trump and a couple other ego-driven owners got involved and pushed to move the league to the fall to compete directly with the NFL. The result was the USFL won a lawsuit against the NFL, but was awarded just $1 in damages and went out of business after three seasons. Since it was the 1980s, the league was awash with drugs, alcohol, fast women and easy money. The author covers that and the often exciting brand of football played is covered with verve and relish. His approach is much different than that of Paul Reeths (The United States Football League: 1982-1986, 2017) who gave a much more all-encompassing view of the league.

The books I have enjoyed the most this year are:
Lombardi, Michael. Gridiron Genius: A Master Class in Winning Championships and Building Dynasties in the NFL (concerns his experience working with Al Davis, Bill Walsh and Belichick)
Glauber, Bob. Guts and Genius: The Story of Three Unlikely Coaches Who Came to Dominate the NFL in the ‘80s (Parcells, Gibbs and Walsh are the coaches)
O'Conner, Ian. Belichick: The Making of the Greatest Football Coach of All Time

Just one man's opinion...
TanksAndSpartans

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

The most recent book on my list is actually from 2017. Did anyone read:

Tigers by the River: A True and Accurate Tale of the Early Days of Pro Football Paperback – March 28, 2017
by Wylie Graham McLallen (Author)
James

new books for 2018

Post by James »

Recently picked up Hollywood's Team: Grit, Glamour, and the 1950's Los Angeles Rams by Jim Hock with Michael Downs. Haven't read it yet, but it looks great.
Axes Grind and Maces Clash!