Worst single-season AFL Team

CSKreager

Worst single-season AFL Team

Post by CSKreager »

The AFL was defined by iconic and memorable teams- Blanda’s Oilers, Alworth’s Chargers, Namath’s Jets, Lamonica’s Riders.

But there’s always an opposite end of the spectrum.

What was the AFL’s equivalent of the 2008 Lions, the worst of the worst?
ChrisBabcock

Re: Worst single-season AFL Team

Post by ChrisBabcock »

The 1968 Bills are certainly up there. (or down there) I’ll let Jeffrey Miller elaborate on that team. I know he thinks Dan Darragh gets a bad rap. :)
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

ChrisBabcock wrote:The 1968 Bills are certainly up there. (or down there) I’ll let Jeffrey Miller elaborate on that team. I know he thinks Dan Darragh gets a bad rap. :)
As bad as they were, they almost beat the Raiders in Oakland late in the year (their backup QB fumbled at the goal line late in the game). History would have been different if they had (Bills don't get the #1 pick and O.J, Chiefs go to play the Jets, etc...).
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

As bad as they were, they almost beat the Raiders in Oakland late in the year (their backup QB fumbled at the goal line late in the game). History would have been different if they had (Bills don't get the #1 pick and O.J, Chiefs go to play the Jets, etc...).
O.J. was very nearly a Philadelphia Eagle. ...The Eagles’ 2 game “winning streak” in December knocked them out of position for first overall pick in the 1969 draft.
conace21

Post by conace21 »

Ed Rutkowski was the utilityman WR/PR/QB who started the game against Oakland, and nearly pulled it out. He came to speak a few years ago at the annual WNY PFRA meeting. He jokes that he always told Ralph Wilson he owed him a finder's fee for "helping" him get OJ Simpson.
Last edited by conace21 on Fri May 18, 2018 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

7DnBrnc53 wrote:
ChrisBabcock wrote:The 1968 Bills are certainly up there. (or down there) I’ll let Jeffrey Miller elaborate on that team. I know he thinks Dan Darragh gets a bad rap. :)
Yeah, the 68 Bills were schizophrenic ... They beat the eventual Super Bowl champs for their only win of that year, and almost beat the team that represented the AFL in the previous Super Bowl ... Poor Dan Darragh never stood a chance. That offensive line was terrible--all five starts either played out of position at one time or missed significant playing time due to injury.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

What about the ’62 Raiders? 1-13 (2-12 the year before) winning that one game in the finale. And to think they finish 10-4 the following year, sweeping SD. Al Davis performing one of the best one-year turnarounds ever if not the best in any league!
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

1963 Broncos have to be up there. Though they did win 1 more thank the 62 Raiders and managed to tie another. Their defense was a god forsaken nightmare having allowed 50+ pts three times. Overall they allowed 30 or more points 9 times
RRMarshall

Post by RRMarshall »

The 1963 trade for Art Powell helped the Raiders shed themselves of their doormat status. It was typical of Al Davis...bringing what would become the Raiders' trademark 'long bomb' attack to Oakland. Those 1961-1962 Raiders teams were just horrific. I think the expansion 1968 Cincinnati Bengals would have mopped the turf with them!
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

That 1968 win over the future champ Jets was a bizarre game. Namath threw five interceptions and three of them were returned for touchdowns, one going back 100 yards. Namath also threw for 4 touchdowns. The Jets outgained the Bills 427-197. Snell had an incredible 124 yards on only 12 carries. Just tons of big plays across the board