Jackie Smith

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
ChrisBabcock

Jackie Smith

Post by ChrisBabcock »

Does he belong in Canton? At the time of his retirement, he ranked as the all-time receiver among tight ends with 480 receptions for 7,918 yards and 40 touchdowns so that’s saying something. Seems as though he’s in as a “long career/compiler” since honors are kind of iffy. (0/5/none)
L.C. Greenwood

Re: Jackie Smith

Post by L.C. Greenwood »

ChrisBabcock wrote:Does he belong in Canton? At the time of his retirement, he ranked as the all-time receiver among tight ends with 480 receptions for 7,918 yards and 40 touchdowns so that’s saying something. Seems as though he’s in as a “long career/compiler” since honors are kind of iffy. (0/5/none)

Saw Jackie Smith play, and thought he was a lock for Canton. Was hurt by playing for St. Louis for nearly all his career, and too much was made of his third quarter drop of a TD pass in SB 13 while playing for Dallas.
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

I’m fine with Jackie Smith being in Canton. Mike Ditka has a better peak, but tailed off notably after his first four years, while John Mackey has a similar peak to Smith but a shorter career. Smith also seems to have both a better peak and longer career than Charlie Sanders.
JohnH19

Post by JohnH19 »

It took longer than it should have for Smith to be inducted.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

ChrisBabcock wrote:Does he belong in Canton? At the time of his retirement, he ranked as the all-time receiver among tight ends with 480 receptions for 7,918 yards and 40 touchdowns so that’s saying something. Seems as though he’s in as a “long career/compiler” since honors are kind of iffy. (0/5/none)
Its kind of amazing that John Mackey was the consensus 1st team TE in 1967. Jerry Smith picked up the UPI 1st team selection that year. Mackey had Unitas throwing to him and was surpassed in every team receiving category by Willie Richardson. Jerry Smith had Jurgensen and finished behind Charley Taylor in receptions and yardage on his own team. Jackie Smith was a one man team with the Cards, having rookie Jim Hart as his QB. Jackie was a much better blocker than Jerry Smith, and IMO a better blocker than Mackey, too.

John Mackey: 55-686-3 TDs
Jerry Smith: 67-849-12 TDs
Jackie Smith: 56-1205-9 TDs

Anyways, I agree that Smith's honors are 'iffy', but IMO Smith passes the eye test. Seemed to be a freakish athlete; stronger, taller, faster than everyone else on the field. He was very durable at a position that typically has a short shelf life. The biggest mystery to me about Smith is how he ended up at NW Louisiana State instead of one of the major football factories. He was a single wing tailback in high school, was a collegiate hurdler, was the Cardinals punter his first few years in the NFL. I just think a guy of Smith's size with that type of athleticism wouldn't have slipped through the cracks. But I guess even the NFL wasn't all that interested as Smith was only a 10th round pick. He did put up a 9-212-2 TD statline in his second pro game, though.