Buddy Ryan Eagles players

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
74_75_78_79_

Buddy Ryan Eagles players

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Reggie so far the only one in Canton (unless you want to count Cris Carter). Eric Allen, to me, the other worthy candidate but it looks like he’ll have to wait for quite awhile, fair or not.

Borderline-Canton/HOVG? I’m thinking Clyde Simmons, Seth Joyner, and #12 himself along with two of his targets - Mike Quick and Keith Jackson. Of course Jerome Brown is an instant thought but I’d imagine his career too short for even HOVG consideration.

Thoughts?
ChrisBabcock

Re: Buddy Ryan Eagles players

Post by ChrisBabcock »

I'd say none of the above are Canton worthy. Cunningham, Allen and Joyner should all definitely be HOVG some day. I think Simmons would have some trouble getting into our HOVG. He had a very good peak but not much around that. Seemed like a sack "compiler".
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

I don't see any of these players as HoF worthy.

If memory serves, Allen's profile is 1/6/none, which is a non starter for me.
L.C. Greenwood

Post by L.C. Greenwood »

74_75_78_79_ wrote:Reggie so far the only one in Canton (unless you want to count Cris Carter). Eric Allen, to me, the other worthy candidate but it looks like he’ll have to wait for quite awhile, fair or not.

Borderline-Canton/HOVG? I’m thinking Clyde Simmons, Seth Joyner, and #12 himself along with two of his targets - Mike Quick and Keith Jackson. Of course Jerome Brown is an instant thought but I’d imagine his career too short for even HOVG consideration.

Thoughts?

This is where the postseason issues for those Eagles teams become a factor. Whether it was the offense or defense, not enough of those players stood out to make a difference in those losses. Reggie White was such a HOF lock, his problems against Dallas didn't matter.
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

I'd vote for Jerome Brown, Mike Quick, Eric Allen, and Seth Joyner for HOVG. They might be borderline, but are possibly worthy.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

I regret at least not mentioning Keith Byars OP. He was such a Swiss Army knife! Played with a lot of heart. Could play TE, wideout, and also block (just ask Pepper Johnson). At least he got to a Super Bowl with NE in ’96, scoring a TD.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

74_75_78_79_ wrote:I regret at least not mentioning Keith Byars OP. He was such a Swiss Army knife! Played with a lot of heart. Could play TE, wideout, and also block (just ask Pepper Johnson). At least he got to a Super Bowl with NE in ’96, scoring a TD.
I remember we had a discussion about Byars awhile back. Such a strange player. Definitely unique. I remember watching him a lot when he was at Ohio State...I remember him returning a kick for a TD and he looked bigger than anyone else on the field. He really was incredible in college, but he broke his foot his senior year and was never the same player.