RIP Jo Jo White

fgoodwin

RIP Jo Jo White

Post by fgoodwin »

Several articles mention that the late Jo Jo White, NBA star with the Celtics, was drafted by the Dallas Cowboys, but I can't confirm that in any of the online listings of the Cowboys draft.

Can anyone here confirm that? Here is an example. None of the articles cites the year and round he was allegedly drafted by the Cowboys.

https://sports.yahoo.com/hall-famer-cel ... 45404.html
Ken Crippen
Site Moderator

Re: RIP Jo Jo White

Post by Ken Crippen »

I went through P-F-R and did not see him drafted by the Cowboys. I searched for all Kansas players drafted by the Cowboys.
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

A Tennessee basketball player named Bill Justus was drafted in the 15th round by the Cowboys as a DB in 1969. He is listed at Pro Football Reference.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

The Cowboys did draft Artis Gilmore in 1961...oh, wait...
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

In 1973, the Cowboys drafted Bill Walton's brother, Bruce,in the fifth round. This Walton actually played on UCLA's football team (OL) and lasted three years with the Boys, being a part of their Super Bowl X squad. The brothers had played two years of high school basketball together in San Diego.
JKelly

Post by JKelly »

I'm thinking that a FA contract offer from the Cowboys may have morphed into being drafted over the years. But I have no proof.
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

I wonder if somehow he got confused with K.C. Jones, who was drafted by the Rams in 1955. Incidentally, Jones invented the bump-and-run technique during his brief tenure as a DB.
NWebster

Post by NWebster »

rhickok1109 wrote:I wonder if somehow he got confused with K.C. Jones, who was drafted by the Rams in 1955. Incidentally, Jones invented the bump-and-run technique during his brief tenure as a DB.
Invented, really?

I'm always dubious of invented, Phil Bengston ran a 3-4 package with SF in the mid 50's, the Cards Zone Blitzed in the 60's there's popularizing and inventing.

That said, I honestly don't know who invented the bump and run, so could be true.
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

NWebster wrote:
rhickok1109 wrote:I wonder if somehow he got confused with K.C. Jones, who was drafted by the Rams in 1955. Incidentally, Jones invented the bump-and-run technique during his brief tenure as a DB.
Invented, really?

I'm always dubious of invented, Phil Bengston ran a 3-4 package with SF in the mid 50's, the Cards Zone Blitzed in the 60's there's popularizing and inventing.

That said, I honestly don't know who invented the bump and run, so could be true.
Yeah, "invented" is a troublesome word :)

But the account linked below makes it sound likely that Jones was the first DB to use the bump-and-run, since those involved with pro football seemed to think it was illegal until they checked the rulebook.

FWIW, this account is based largely on Jack Faulkner's recollections. He was the Rams' DB coach in 1955 and he says he brought the idea to the AFL when he became the Chargers' defensive coordinator.

http://www.indeonline.com/sports/201711 ... act-on-nfl