Thoughts on blocking TEs from the 1960's, 1970's & 1980's

Bryan

Thoughts on blocking TEs from the 1960's, 1970's & 1980's

Post by Bryan »

I remember reading Phil Villapiano saying that he would rather face Ted Kwalick (who was the TE-du-jour at the time) than Tom Mitchell, because Mitchell was a great blocker and Kwalick was soft. I loved those comparative assessments of subjective qualities. It seems like the measurement of a TE's blocking ability is anecdotal...everyone says Ron Kramer was a great blocker, etc.

Do you recall any 'ranking system' or anecdotal statements regarding TE blocking skills from the 1960's-1980's?
NWebster

Re: Thoughts on blocking TEs from the 1960's, 1970's & 1980'

Post by NWebster »

I have this book from 1973, a really interesting book, though not entirely sure where they get their ratings from but they are interesting and they do break out run blocking. So in this they have the following as the top graded TE's of '73:

Charlie Sanders 4.4
Marv Fleming 4.3
Bob Tucker 4.3
Pettis Norman 4.3
Jim Mitchell 4.2
Ray Chester 4.1
John Mackey 4.1
Ted Kwalick 4.0
Milt Morin 4.0

So it supports that Mitchell was a tad better than Kwalik, but doesn't paint Kwalik as terrible. There are a number of other names in the 3's the worst I saw was Jan White at 3.0, interestingly Gene Fugett was 3.2.

Oh sorry - after a dozen years here I still cannot figure out how to insert images - here's a link to the book.

https://www.amazon.com/Computerized-Pro ... s%27+Guide
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

NWebster wrote:I have this book from 1973, a really interesting book,
One of my favorites.
NWebster

Post by NWebster »

Reaser wrote:
NWebster wrote:I have this book from 1973, a really interesting book,
One of my favorites.
Ever learn anything more about it? I never saw any other editions from other seasons and couldn't really gather much info on their "Compu-scout system". I do know that had an NBA edition, and though I'm not a huge NBA fan, it might be interesting to pick up.

I think it was likely a compiled from a survey of informed parties that they used a computer to compile, because in 1973 anything done with a computer had to be more accurate - my thermostat probably could out-compute whatever they used!
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

Bob Klein. They talked about moving him to tackle
Larry Brown, they DID move him to tackle.
Bill Joe Dupree was a tenacious guy, not overly powerful...but agressive blocker
David Hill
Mike Barber
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

NWebster wrote:Ever learn anything more about it? I never saw any other editions from other seasons and couldn't really gather much info on their "Compu-scout system". I do know that had an NBA edition, and though I'm not a huge NBA fan, it might be interesting to pick up.
Nope, but it's always interesting to look at whenever I'm thinking about and/or watching anything from that season/era. Usually flip it open to see what the 'system' has.

It's possible there's some more information in the NBA version about how they put everything together. Update if you ever pick that up.
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

NWebster wrote:I have this book from 1973, a really interesting book, though not entirely sure where they get their ratings from but they are interesting and they do break out run blocking. So in this they have the following as the top graded TE's of '73:

Charlie Sanders 4.4
Marv Fleming 4.3
Bob Tucker 4.3
Pettis Norman 4.3
Jim Mitchell 4.2
Ray Chester 4.1
John Mackey 4.1
Ted Kwalick 4.0
Milt Morin 4.0

So it supports that Mitchell was a tad better than Kwalik, but doesn't paint Kwalik as terrible. There are a number of other names in the 3's the worst I saw was Jan White at 3.0, interestingly Gene Fugett was 3.2.

Oh sorry - after a dozen years here I still cannot figure out how to insert images - here's a link to the book.

https://www.amazon.com/Computerized-Pro ... s%27+Guide
Tom Mitchell isn't on your list. That's the Falcons' Jim Mitchell, I assume?

Tom Mitchell's career didn't make a lot of sense to me. Started as a rookie in 1966 for the Raiders, #3 draft choice. Then they cut him the next year. Decided to play Billy Cannon more and Ken Herock came back to the team, I guess. Then a year on the taxi squad for the Colts. Finally beats out John Mackey, and they trade for Ray Chester when they could've used a WR more. Probably should have gotten Siani instead. Then he goes to the 49ers and beats out Kwalick. Mitchell only had 4 TD in his 4 years as a Niner though, that's not very good.
Shipley

Post by Shipley »

Don Warren was a great blocking tight end for the Redskins during the Joe Gibbs glory years. Started on all three Super Bowl winning teams.
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

Paul Costa was quite adept as well. After four seasons as the Bills TE, he was moved to tackle ...
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

Does anyone think the trade to the Colts cost Ray Chester a shot at the HOF? He made the Pro Bowl his first three years. AFC All Pro. Then the trade to the Colts, who already had a TE, and his stats take a dive. Add some catches, touchdowns. Not hard to project 10 more touchdowns in Oakland. That gives him 58. Jerry Smith had 60, but was a poorly regarded blocker.

Can Casper even beat out Chester in 1976? They weren't going to go 2 TE with Biletnikoff and Branch. Does Casper blow it up in Oakland, force a trade? I realize Casper was 4 time consensus All Pro, but I think the competition was weaker than in the early 1970s.