Surprisingly DISAPPOINTING teams

74_75_78_79_

Surprisingly DISAPPOINTING teams

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

My ’98 Steelers come to mind. They were many’s preseason #1 power rankings-wise, or very close to it. I felt optimistic enough heading into the opener. But that soft 2-0 start, barely beating Ravens then Bears, offered up the warning of what was to come. Cowhers’s streak of playoff berths to start a HC-ing career halted at six hence ushering-in that brief turn-of-century slump.

’97 Cowboys is another. Reason for optimism going into that campaign being much further amplified with that insane Aikman performance in the 'Burgh opening day, 37-7. Went south from there. But like the ’98 Steelers, they started flirting with a rally down the final stretch, but bottom fell out; lost final five just like Steelers did a year later.

Others (and I’m sure much better examples to offer)?
7DnBrnc53

Re: Surprisingly DISAPPOINTING teams

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

My ’98 Steelers come to mind. They were many’s preseason #1 power rankings-wise, or very close to it. I felt optimistic enough heading into the opener. But that soft 2-0 start, barely beating Ravens then Bears, offered up the warning of what was to come. Cowhers’s streak of playoff berths to start a HC-ing career halted at six hence ushering-in that brief turn-of-century slump.
I don't think that team was too disappointing. Kordell Stewart wasn't really the answer at QB. The Steelers wasted too much time on him (just like the Broncos have been doing with Siemian).

The bigger disappointment in 1998 was the Chiefs, in my opinion. I had them going to the Super Bowl, but they fell flat on their faces. Schottenheimer resigned as a result (he later said that he regretted it on A Football Life).
Last edited by 7DnBrnc53 on Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:37 am, edited 3 times in total.
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

1974 Falcons.

Maybe the big loss late in the season to the Cardinals in 1973 was a sign of things to come. Dave Hampton missed the first 5 games and wasn't in top form the rest of the way either. All of the QBs were terrible. 111 points, 55 turnovers, 50 sacks.
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

1983 Jets: One book I had predicted them to go to SB 18. And, they did start off strong in San Diego (a 41-29 win). However, they ended up at 7-9. Freeman McNeil only played in nine games, and Todd had 26 INT's in his swan song with the club (he was traded to NO the next year).
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

7DnBrnc53 wrote:
I don't think that team was too disappointing. Kordell Stewart wasn't really the answer at QB. The Steelers wasted too much time on him (just like the Broncos have been doing with Siemian).

The bigger disappointment in 1998 was the Chiefs, in my opinion. I had them going to the Super Bowl, but they fell flat on their faces. Schottenheimer resigned as a result (he later said that he regretted it on A Football Life).
Steelers O was a mess in 98. Not just Kordell but Charles Johnson/Courtney Hawkins is not a the 1-2 punch you're looking for. No reliable pass catching TE either. The defense was solid as you'd expect but the O was anemic.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

7DnBrnc53 wrote:1983 Jets: One book I had predicted them to go to SB 18. And, they did start off strong in San Diego (a 41-29 win). However, they ended up at 7-9. Freeman McNeil only played in nine games, and Todd had 26 INT's in his swan song with the club (he was traded to NO the next year).
We had a wretched midseason loss to the Falcons that really hurt. Up 21-0 in the 3rd and Atlanta storms back to win 27-21. But overall Todd really regressed. Was just forcing the ball everywhere.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

Though they did win their last 4 to finish 8-8, have to put the 2011 Eagles "Dream Team" in here. Very dissapointing
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

sheajets wrote:Though they did win their last 4 to finish 8-8, have to put the 2011 Eagles "Dream Team" in here. Very dissapointing
I'm not too surprised that they weren't successful, though. Sometimes teams that are put together by a FA binge don't work out, especially when they didn't have a full off-season because of the lockout.

Speaking of FA binges, the 1995 Dolphins are another team that disappointed. After signing Eric Green, Trace Armstrong, Terrell Buckley, and Steve Emtman, they were the favorite to represent the AFC in Tempe. However, they finished 9-7, the Bills pounded them in the WC round, and Shula's career ended after the season.
JohnH19

Post by JohnH19 »

Anything that's disappointing is a surprise. It's disappointing because we were expecting a better outcome.
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

JohnH19 wrote:Anything that's disappointing is a surprise. It's disappointing because we were expecting a better outcome.
I'm not sure about that...certain fans of certain teams expect to be disappointed :D