1970s Controversial Plays

JoeZagorski

1970s Controversial Plays

Post by JoeZagorski »

Hey Guys:
Put yourself back in the 1970s. What was the most controversial play of that decade (in your opinion)? Was it the Immaculate Reception? The Holy Roller? The Hail Mary Pass? The Rob Lytle Fumble? The Mike Renfro (Non) Catch? Or was it a different play? Why do you think it was the MOST controversial play of the 1970s? Looking forward to reading your opinions.

Sincerely,
Joe Zagorski
BD Sullivan

Re: 1970s Controversial Plays

Post by BD Sullivan »

1975: The Mel Gray non-catch against the Redskins to help the Cardinals win in OT.

1976: The roughing the passer call against Sugar Bear Hamilton in the playoff game against Oakland.

1977: After the Oilers tied Cincy in the final minute, they kicked off and the ball touched Cincy's Scott Perry, with Houston apparently scoring a game-winning TD. The officials ruled that Perry was out of bounds when the ball touched him, and Cincy went on to win in OT.

1978: At the start of OT, the Browns and Steelers are tied at 9 with the Browns kicking off. The Steelers' Larry Anderson fumbles the ball and the Browns recover at the Pittsburgh 22. The officials rule than Anderson's knee was down at the 21, and Pittsburgh drives down the field to score the winning TD.
Bob Gill

Post by Bob Gill »

BD Sullivan wrote:1975: The Mel Gray non-catch against the Redskins to help the Cardinals win in OT.
That's always the first one that pops into my mind.
Evan

Post by Evan »

BD Sullivan wrote: 1977: After the Oilers tied Cincy in the final minute, they kicked off and the ball touched Cincy's Scott Perry, with Houston apparently scoring a game-winning TD. The officials ruled that Perry was out of bounds when the ball touched him, and Cincy went on to win in OT.
B.D. - was this the same officiating crew, led by Fred Silva, who also had the misfortune of making the controversial Bert Jones "in the grasp, so no fumble" call in Baltimore's 1977 season finale against New England? This call led to a lot of follow-up bluster in the media as Don Shula was infuriated that in his opinion a blown call cost the Dolphins a playoff bid.

My two cents is the the most controversial call of the 70s, and probably all-time in football, would be the Immaculate Reception. When I take into account the bizarre, stunning, utterly unique look of the play, and the drama of what was at stake at that moment. I mean, 4th down, long yardage, less than a minute left, trailing in a playoff game, with a string of action during the play that was remarkable in its luck, and strangeness. Throw in Villapiano's case for a missed clipping call on McMakin (which kind of looks like it has merit, but could you ever imagine that being called on the fly like that with the shock of the Fuqua/Tatum/Harris action unfolding) on the play, and I don't personally think anything else comes close for this category, but that's just me!
Citizen

Post by Citizen »

A noteworthy one was Billy Ray Smith's phantom recovery of Duane Thomas's fumble in Super Bowl V. Since it was first and goal at the 1-yard line, Dallas almost certainly would have scored had the officials ruled (as the Cowboys insisted) that Dave Manders recovered the ball.
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

The Rob Lytle goal line fumble in the 1977 AFC Championship game was another controversial play.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
Bob Gill

Post by Bob Gill »

Evan wrote:My two cents is the the most controversial call of the 70s, and probably all-time in football, would be the Immaculate Reception. When I take into account the bizarre, stunning, utterly unique look of the play, and the drama of what was at stake at that moment. I mean, 4th down, long yardage, less than a minute left, trailing in a playoff game, with a string of action during the play that was remarkable in its luck, and strangeness.
Now that you mention it, I think this is probably the right choice, all things considered. Just think of all the time they spent on the field before the call was made official. I bet it took longer than any replay call they make today. And with all the other circumstances surrounding it, yes, I'll change my vote and second this nomination.
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

Bob Gill wrote:
Evan wrote:My two cents is the the most controversial call of the 70s, and probably all-time in football, would be the Immaculate Reception. When I take into account the bizarre, stunning, utterly unique look of the play, and the drama of what was at stake at that moment. I mean, 4th down, long yardage, less than a minute left, trailing in a playoff game, with a string of action during the play that was remarkable in its luck, and strangeness.
Now that you mention it, I think this is probably the right choice, all things considered. Just think of all the time they spent on the field before the call was made official. I bet it took longer than any replay call they make today. And with all the other circumstances surrounding it, yes, I'll change my vote and second this nomination.
Speaking of the Immaculate Reception, does anyone recall how much time was left on the clock when Ken Stabler scored the touchdown that put Oakland ahead 7-6?
rockhawk

Post by rockhawk »

The gamebook notes that there was 1:13 left in the game.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

Evan wrote:
BD Sullivan wrote: 1977: After the Oilers tied Cincy in the final minute, they kicked off and the ball touched Cincy's Scott Perry, with Houston apparently scoring a game-winning TD. The officials ruled that Perry was out of bounds when the ball touched him, and Cincy went on to win in OT.
B.D. - was this the same officiating crew, led by Fred Silva, who also had the misfortune of making the controversial Bert Jones "in the grasp, so no fumble" call in Baltimore's 1977 season finale against New England? This call led to a lot of follow-up bluster in the media as Don Shula was infuriated that in his opinion a blown call cost the Dolphins a playoff bid.
Indeed it was. Houston also ended up missing the playoffs because of the 10/30 loss. I had forgotten about the other blunder.