Chuck Bednarik

Wendell02

Chuck Bednarik

Post by Wendell02 »

Chuck Bednarik passed away this morning. I tried to post the link, but could not figure out how to do it.
paulksandiego

Re: Chuck Bednarik

Post by paulksandiego »

This is sad. R.I.P. Mr. Bednarik
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

oldecapecod11

Post by oldecapecod11 »

Good of you, Matt; and, nice try Wendell. Thanks to both.

Ken Crippen had it a little before 10:00 A.M. in the "Obituaries" Section.

At risk of reading some of the chriping by the fans of the forum, I will say that the former method - designed by Ken -
was far more effective with the pinned obituary thread where it could be easily seen.
So, go ahead birdies and let loose your droppings.
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister
oldecapecod11

Post by oldecapecod11 »

Wendell, I sent you an e-mail with a brief explanation concerning the insertion of a link.
If it does not work for you, send a PM to Ken Crippen.
I don't think anyone from the bored will try to help you. That has not been on their agenda - helping members, that is.
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister
RichS

Post by RichS »

Bednarik's family is blaming his death on "dementia and Alzheimer's related to football injuries."

He was 89.

Not to diminish his family's pain over Bednarik's death, a time when people reach for answers, but we should all be lucky enough to live to be 89.

At that age the cause of death could be a host of issues.
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

I recall watching the 1960 Eagle-Packer NFL Championship game on TV.
RichS

Post by RichS »

Eagles' brass, Lurie and Chip Kelly, recognizing Bednarik in comments.

Nice to hear. Not all teams do that.
James

Chuck Bednarik

Post by James »

RichS wrote:Eagles' brass, Lurie and Chip Kelly, recognizing Bednarik in comments.

Nice to hear. Not all teams do that.
Exactly Rich. Most teams and/or the NFL do not acknowledge anything Pre-Merger or Pre-Super Bowl.
Axes Grind and Maces Clash!
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

I believe I posted about this before, on the old forum, but it seems apropos now.

I got a very up close and personal look at Bednark during a 1956 exhibition game between the Eagles and the Packers at Milwaukee County Stadium. I was working the Packer sideline, recording where the ball was spotted, the down, and the distance, after each play, a job which I was given only two or three times.

It was the first exhibition game of the year and among the rookies making their NFL debuts were the celebrated Paul Hornung and the little-known Bill Roberts, both playing halfback for the Packers, although Roberts was used only as a punt returner.

On Hornung's very first carry as a Packer, he was trying to come around right end and he was confronted by Bednarik while still behind the line of scrimmage, not far from the Packer bench. Hornung slowed, faked left, faked right ... and then Bednarik hit him like a bulldozer, knocking him onto his back and landing on top of him. Bednarik got to his feet, grinned down at Hornung, and said, "You can't dance like that in the NFL, kid."

Later, near the end of the first half, Roberts fielded a punt and made a pretty good return along the sideline. As Bednarik closed in on him, Roberts decided to step out of bounds to stop the clock. He slowed and, just before his foot touched the ground beyond the sideline right at the Packer bench, Bednarik clobbered him, knocking him over the bench and almost all the way to the fence separating the track from the field.

Packer Coach Lisle Blackbourn was furious. He was normally a mild-mannered guy, but he barked some obscenities at Bednark for hitting Roberts like that when he was stepping out of bounds.

Bednarik flashed the same grin and said, "Hey, coach, he's gotta he ain't in the Ivy League any more."

Of course, the irony was that Bednarik was a product of Penn, also an Ivy League school.