Most versatile scorer?

rhickok1109

Most versatile scorer?

Post by rhickok1109 »

The thread about Iron Men made me think of Bill Dudley. Johnny Blood once told me that the ideal backfield would be four Bill Dudleys, and here's why:

Dudley rushed for 18 TDs and caught 18 TD passes; he threw 6 TD passes; he returned 3 punts, 1 kickoff, and 2 interceptions for TDs; he kicked 33 field goals and 121 extra punts. He also punted for a 37.8 average. Evidently he never scored a safety, but he scored in every other possible way. Can anyone else in NFL history make that claim?
JuggernautJ

Re: Most versatile scorer?

Post by JuggernautJ »

Sammy Baugh?

EDIT: Nope. Not even close. Baugh returned punts but none for a TD.

If anyone is comparable... it has to be from the same era.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

I was about to say Cookie Gilchrist.
But I see he never returned a punt... and never scored on a kickoff return for that matter.
Bob Gill

Post by Bob Gill »

Dudley was certainly versatile, but on the debit side, although he did throw a few touchdown passes he was a terrible passer. Whizzer White, a similarly versatile star, shared the same flaw. I don't know which one was worse at throwing the ball, but it would be an ugly contest.
John Grasso

Post by John Grasso »

rhickok1109 wrote:The thread about Iron Men made me think of Bill Dudley. Johnny Blood once told me that the ideal backfield would be four Bill Dudleys, and here's why:

Dudley rushed for 18 TDs and caught 18 TD passes; he threw 6 TD passes; he returned 3 punts, 1 kickoff, and 2 interceptions for TDs; he kicked 33 field goals and 121 extra punts. He also punted for a 37.8 average. Evidently he never scored a safety, but he scored in every other possible way. Can anyone else in NFL history make that claim?
Although he wasn't credited with a safety while with Detroit on 11/14/48 he was tackled in the end zone by John Koniszewski
giving the Redskins a safety and the game 46-21. The following year he had a punt blocked by Mario Giannelli of the Eagles
for another safety in a 22-14 loss for the Lions on 10/3/49.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

rhickok1109 wrote:The thread about Iron Men made me think of Bill Dudley. Johnny Blood once told me that the ideal backfield would be four Bill Dudleys, and here's why:

Deion is the only one who equals Dudley in number of ways they scored TD's, though obviously he lacks the other qualifiers (kicking/punting/passing) ...

I would guess Jim Thorpe (maybe Bob knows?) if you counted pre-NFL, at least would come close.

Also, I had forgot how much I enjoyed watching Spec Sanders play until recently when I popped in a couple games, he could do everything. Minus the kicking he's close, if you count the All-America Conference.

"In NFL history" the other player you mentioned, Johnny Blood, is probably closest.
Bob Gill

Post by Bob Gill »

I thought of Sanders too, but as Matt said, he loses out because he wasn't a kicker. But on the plus side, he was a much better passer than Dudley.

As far as I can tell, Jim Thorpe never scored on a kickoff or interception return, so that lets him out.

One thing that occurs to me, though, is that there's one other way to score a TD, which is a fumble recovery (I'd just call that a single category, regardless of which team fumbled the ball). Did Dudley, or the other contenders, ever do that?
NWebster

Post by NWebster »

In the last half century Louis Lipps returned a kickoff, Punt, Ran and Caught a TD in the same season. Not sure if he could throw though. Boy he was a good yu oungster, thought he'd be great but he never had a real QB throwing the ball to him and he finally lost the step he could never afford to lose.
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

Reaser wrote:

Deion is the only one who equals Dudley in number of ways they scored TD's, though obviously he lacks the other qualifiers (kicking/punting/passing) ...

I would guess Jim Thorpe (maybe Bob knows?) if you counted pre-NFL, at least would come close.

Also, I had forgot how much I enjoyed watching Spec Sanders play until recently when I popped in a couple games, he could do everything. Minus the kicking he's close, if you count the All-America Conference.

"In NFL history" the other player you mentioned, Johnny Blood, is probably closest.
Blood never kicked a field goal (or, if he did, it wasn't recorded).
Evan

Post by Evan »

As a rookie Gale Sayers threw one TD, ran for 14, caught 6, ran one kickoff back for a TD, ran one punt back for a TD. He's also credited with four fumble recoveries, probably a few of his own fumbles. The Bears only made 11 of 26 FGs that year, so Sayers probably could have done about as well kicking!