Montana wanted to go to Pittsburgh in '93!

74_75_78_79_

Montana wanted to go to Pittsburgh in '93!

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Just found this out; never knew he wanted to end things back home. Here's the article below...

http://arrowheadaddict.com/2012/12/11/j ... er-chiefs/

I know that 'what-ifs' aren't too popular here - needed like a hole in the head - but this one's much more easier to go down than the eternally overblown Marino/Steelers 'what-if'. I'm amongst the few who think the Dan 'what-if' likely wouldn't have made a worthy difference for either party involved. Sure enough Steelers win more games in the remaining Noll years, but with that comes even lower draft picks in those years hence likely no Dermontti, Woodson, Lloyd, Lake, etc for the Cowher Era. Yes, maybe the 'Burgh makes the right moves anyway, or maybe Steelers do no better in '90s than Shula & Jimmy did in Miami. We'll never know. Too big a 'what-if' worth tackling.

Now 'Joe Cool' coming home in '93?...(and with all the other pieces already in place)...much easier to speculate; no effort at all! None of the other 27 teams, no matter who their QB is, would have beaten Jimmy's Boys that year, but '94?...I have always felt Steelers at least give SF a game had they averted that AFCC upset. Now plug JOE in...just IMAGINE! He vs his old team (and Young), 4-0 vs 4-0 for the Thumb...the pregame HYPE/actual GAME itself would have dwarfed SBXIII! And then if he hangs around for another year in '95? Yes, another year older but who would YOU pick between a 39-year-old Montana (who WOULDN'T throw to Larry Brown) and a still talented but now underachieving/less-disciplined Dallas squad two years removed from Jimmy Johnson?

Yes, another annoying 'what-if' (not going to ask what you think would have happened) but too hard to at least not mention once and have fun thinking about for just a bit.
Last edited by 74_75_78_79_ on Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
SixtiesFan

Re: Montana wanted to go to Pittsburgh in '93!

Post by SixtiesFan »

74_75_78_79_ wrote:Just found this out; never knew he wanted to end things back home. Here's the article below...

http://arrowheadaddict.com/2012/12/11/j ... er-chiefs/

I know that 'what-ifs' aren't too popular here - needed like a hole in the head - but this one's much more easier to go down than the eternally overblown Marino/Steelers 'what-if'. I'm likely amongst the few who think the Dan 'what-if' likely wouldn't have made a worthy difference for either party involved. Sure enough Steelers win more games in the remaining Noll years, but with that comes even lower draft picks in those years hence likely no Dermontti, Woodson, Lloyd, Lake, etc for the Cowher Era. Yes, maybe the 'Burgh makes the right moves anyway, or maybe Steelers do no better in '90s than Shula & Jimmy did in Miami. We'll never know. Too big a 'what-if' worth tackling.

Now 'Joe Cool' coming home in '93?...(and with all the other pieces already in place)...much easier to speculate; no effort at all! None of the other 27 teams, no matter who their QB is, would have beaten Jimmy's Boys that year, but '94?...I have always felt Steelers at least give SF a game had they averted that AFCC upset. Now plug JOE in...just IMAGINE! He vs his old team (and Young), 4-0 vs 4-0 for the Thumb...the pregame HYPE/actual GAME itself would have dwarfed SBXIII! And then if he hangs around for another year in '95? Yes, another year older but who would YOU pick between a 39-year-old Montana (who WOULDN'T throw to Larry Brown) and a still talented but now underachieving/less-disciplined Dallas squad two years removed from Jimmy Johnson?

Yes, another annoying 'what-if' (not going to ask what you think would have happened) but too hard to at least not mention once and have fun thinking about for just a bit.
I kind of like what-ifs'. Teams I rooted for do better than they did in real life.
conace21

Post by conace21 »

KC and Pittsburgh were constructed the same way, run-first team with a ferocious defense and a QB generally asked not to make mistakes. Not much in the WR department for either team...until Pittsburgh in 1995.
In 1993, I think the big question is, would Pittsburgh with Montana beat out Buffalo for home field advantage? Arrowhead and Three Rivers were both a house of horrors for those early 90's Bills teams. Buffalo lost decisively in each of those cities in 1993. If Pittsburgh had home field advantage, I think they go to the Super Bowl. If they have to travel to Buffalo, forget it.
And remember, Montana missed 5 or 6 games in 1993, as he had played one half of football in 32 months.
If Pittsburgh does get to the Super Bowl, I think they have a chance. Aikman was concussed and not 100%. But that speedy Dallas defense always seemed to match up well against the Pittsburgh offense.

I'm not sure anyone beats SF in 1994, but I would hate to bet against Joe in a Super Bowl.

I don't think Montana returns in 1995. He wrote that football was starting to feel like a job, and while he enjoyed playing, he dreaded the practices and film sessions. Part of that may have been because of Marty's tough regime, but also because he was away from home. Even Pittsburgh wasn't home to him anymore. Home was the Napa Valley place where He returned after rretiring. I don't think he returns in 1995 for any team.
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

If the Steelers would have failed (or refused) to match the offer sheet that the Bucs gave to Neil O'Donnell (not too many people remember that), and if they would have failed in their subsequent pursuit of Testaverde, the Steelers-Montana thing may have went down.

Montana did miss 5 games in 93, but the Steelers had a better pair of tackles (Jackson, Searcy) than the Chiefs did (Alt, Siglar). What's interesting, though, is that the Chiefs gave up less sacks that year (35) than Pittsburgh (48). I was a little surprised at that, but that may have had more to do with Montana's and Krieg's mobility compared to O'Donnell and Tomczak. Joe and Dave had 46 combined rushing attempts for 86 yards, while Neil and Mike had 31 for 107. The Steelers also had 540 passing attempts as opposed to 490 for the Chiefs.

After that breakdown, here's my opinion: With a healthy Montana for most of the year, I think that they win 12 games. I give them Week 1 against SF, Week 16 against Houston, and Week 17 at Seattle (I don't see Pittsburgh losing that one with Joe). That gives them a 12-4 record, and because they beat the Bills, they get home field, and end up in Atlanta for the Super Bowl.

Do they beat Dallas? With a groggy Aikman, and a better D than the Bills had, I think they get it done. I also think that they get back there the next year, but lose to SF (not 49-26, though), and then I agree that Joe hangs them up with five SB rings.

Another interesting scenario I want to explore as a result of this is the Bucs with O'Donnell. The 93 Bucs were 5-11, but I can see them winning two more with Neil. Then, in the draft, maybe they take CB's Langham or Aaron Glenn instead of Trent Dilfer, and after doing about the same as in reality the next year, they still get Sapp and Brooks in the 95 draft.

What I am getting at, though, is the era from 1997-02. Do the Bucs do better in 97 and 98 with O'Donnell? Do they beat the Rams in the 99 NFC Title Game with O'Donnell instead of Shaun King, and then beat the Titans in the SB?