Coaches That Were Fired After Winning Super Bowls

Todd Pence

Coaches That Were Fired After Winning Super Bowls

Post by Todd Pence »

Well, it appears that Tom Coughlin is once again spared the axe in New York, at least for this year. I have the list of past coaches who were eventually fired by the teams they had previously won Super Bowls with at eight. Have I left anyone out?

Hank Stram (Chiefs)
Don McCafferty (Colts)
Tom Landry (Cowboys)
Mike Ditka (Bears)
Mike Shanahan (Broncos)
Brian Billick (Ravens)
Jon Gruden (Bucs)
Jeremy Crowhurst

Re: Coaches That Were Fired After Winning Super Bowls

Post by Jeremy Crowhurst »

Then you got the guys that were forced out -- Jimmy Johnson, Barry Switzer, possibly Tom Flores, George Seifert....
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

Jeremy Crowhurst wrote:Then you got the guys that were forced out -- Jimmy Johnson, Barry Switzer, possibly Tom Flores, George Seifert....
Guys who retired: Lombardi, Walsh and Parcells. Walsh came back to coach in college, while Parcells came back with the Pats and Cowboys.
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

I don't think that Jimmy Johnson was forced out, was he? I heard that he wanted to leave after being there for five seasons. Allegedly, he was talking to the Jaguars during that season.
Jeremy Crowhurst

Post by Jeremy Crowhurst »

7DnBrnc53 wrote:I don't think that Jimmy Johnson was forced out, was he? I heard that he wanted to leave after being there for five seasons. Allegedly, he was talking to the Jaguars during that season.
The relationship had gotten toxic, JJ basically engineered his termination, though it wasn't ever called that.
conace21

Post by conace21 »

Jimmy Johnson said years later he was planning to leave and had written the resignation date on a list or calendar. However, Jerry Jones rushed those plans at a hotel bar during league meetings. Johnson was drinking with Norv Turner and some people Jones had fired. Jerry raised a toast and was chillingly ignored by Johnson. A peeved Jerry ranted to several writers later that night that 500 coaches could have won the Super Bowl with the talent on the Cowboys. The JJ's met for a few days and announced by mutual agreement that Johnson would be leaving Dallas.