Post by oldecapecod11 »

productive running quarterbacks... Started by coach tj troup
Started by coach tj troup, Oct 07 2014 12:22 PM

Archive

17 replies to this topic

#1 coach tj troup
PFRA Member
Posted 07 October 2014 - 12:22 PM
....for those that watched the game, or saw the highlights, young russ of the seahawks sure was effective lugging the leather last nite. record setting mnf performance. ok, yet how about all you fine folks with opinions & stats who are the most productive running qb's in league history? for one week(two games in five days) tobin rote still gets my vote as he gained 150 on 14 carries against the bears on 11-18-51, and then on thanksgiving against the lions he gained 131 on 15 carries. the woeful packers lost both.

#2 Bryan
Forum Visitors
Posted 07 October 2014 - 12:31 PM
Harry Newman's 38 rushing attempts for the Giants against the Packers in 1934. Don't know what his yards and TDs were, though.

#3 Todd Pence
Forum Visitors
Posted 07 October 2014 - 03:53 PM
Bobby Douglass, Randall Cunningham

#4 Reaser
PFRA Member
Posted 07 October 2014 - 04:32 PM
coach tj troup, on 07 Oct 2014 - 12:22 PM, said:
....for those that watched the game, or saw the highlights, young russ of the seahawks sure was effective lugging the leather last nite. record setting mnf performance.
Amazing to watch, pulling it himself on run plays (not read-option) ... Next level performance.

#5 Teo
Pro Bowler
Posted 07 October 2014 - 05:46 PM
Michael Vick in his early years in Atlanta was the best.

#6 Rupert Patrick
PFRA Member
Posted 07 October 2014 - 07:21 PM
Teo, on 07 Oct 2014 - 5:46 PM, said:
Michael Vick in his early years in Atlanta was the best.

i have to agree. I think if Vick had tore up his shoulder or elbow early in his career and could no longer throw the ball, he could have become a very good RB in the NFL. I'm not sure I would say that about any other QB I've seen, except for maybe Randall Cunningham in his younger days.

#7 BD Sullivan
All-Decade
Forum Visitors
Posted 07 October 2014 - 08:30 PM
In 1972, Bobby Douglass came with 32 yards of rushing for 1,000 yards, breaking 100 yards twice. Of course, he only broke 100 yards passing five times that year.

The Bears went 4-9-1 that year:
In the four wins, he was 14-32 for 321 yards, with four TD passes and three picks
In the nine losses and one tie, he was 61-166 for 925 yards, with five TD passes and nine picks

#8 NWebster
Forum Visitors
Posted 07 October 2014 - 08:48 PM
I believe (nod to coach) that Rote has been really underrated as a running QB, I really lose my mind when commentators act as if this is a new / recent trend. Rote was fantastic as a runner, albeit on some poor teams. In college Vince Young was the beat I saw, his comeback against Ok St and of course the game winning run against USC, he really just seemed to do what he liked.

I don't think Cunningham could've been a RB, his slightness of build and long-stride but a sense of suddenness would have made it difficult. That running style doesn't work well at RB unless your name is OJ or maybe Robert Smith, but OJ still had more change of direction. To me the key difference between a full time RB and a scrambling QB is the change of direction, which really none of the guys mentioned has.

#9 JohnMaxymuk
PFRA Member
Posted 07 October 2014 - 09:47 PM
Wilson's scrambling reminds me of Tarkenton, but Fran never did the planned runs that russ excels in. Maybe steve young as a 49er backup is a good comparison. Above all, wilson is a delight to watch.

#10 JohnMaxymuk
Posted 07 October 2014 - 10:21 PM
And here's a second stranger thought. When billy kilmer was a rookie with the 49ers in 1961, he was part of a three-man quarterback tag team in red hickey's fledgling shotgun offense. Kilmer only threw the ball 34 times while running it 96, but he ran for over 100 yards three weeks in a row and averaged over 5 yards per carry out of the shotgun. This was before the auto accident that ruined him as a halfback. However, that was a couple years prior to my viewing memories of the nfl. Does anyone remember kilmer's running style? At that point, i think his build was similar to wilson's.

#11 rhickok1109
PFRA Member
Posted 08 October 2014 - 08:00 AM
Bryan, on 07 Oct 2014 - 12:31 PM, said:
Harry Newman's 38 rushing attempts for the Giants against the Packers in 1934. Don't know what his yards and TDs were, though.
But Newman was a tailback.

#12 oldecapecod 11
PFRA Member
Posted 08 October 2014 - 08:42 AM
JohnMaxymuk
Posted Yesterday, 10:21 PM
"...Does anyone remember kilmer's running style? At that point, i think his build was similar to wilson's."

http://search.aol.co...eyword_rollover

#13 coach tj troup
PFRA Member
Posted 08 October 2014 - 01:34 PM
....though he could accelerate, he was not speedy, and though he did not shake and bake(moves), he was excellent cutting back against the grain, though he was not powerful, he did bounce off tacklers. for those three games he maximized his blocking, and earned every yard. when doing research on the article on jd smith, also focused on brodie down the stretch when sf returned to the t-formation....as john b. threw the deep ball well late in the year. so the first half of the season it is the spread, and late in the year it is a t. 49ers had a very solid compliment of offensive players. a split with baltimore would have put them in miami in the play-off bowl

#14 Jeremy Crowhurst
PFRA Member
Posted 08 October 2014 - 01:58 PM
rhickok1109, on 08 Oct 2014 - 08:00 AM, said:
But Newman was a tailback.

All the passers were tailbacks in 1934.

#15 evan
PFRA Member
Posted 08 October 2014 - 02:49 PM
Steve Young (594 yards) has more post-season rushing yards than Jim Taylor (508). That's meaningless I know, but sometimes even meaningless stats kind of amuse me. Anyone else have a crooked eyebrow on their face after reading this?

#16 Todd Pence
Forum Visitors
Posted 08 October 2014 - 05:12 PM
Steve Young got the chance to play in more postseason games than Taylor because he played in an era where the NFL champion was required to win at least three postseason games. Throughout almost all of Taylor's Packer career, one postseason win was all that was required of the Pack to claim the title.

#17 JohnH19
Forum Visitors
Posted 08 October 2014 - 06:24 PM
Todd Pence, on 08 Oct 2014 - 5:12 PM, said:
Steve Young got the chance to play in more postseason games than Taylor because he played in an era where the NFL champion was required to win at least three postseason games. Throughout almost all of Taylor's Packer career, one postseason win was all that was required of the Pack to claim the title.

That's why Evan said it was a meaningless stat.

#18 JohnMaxymuk
PFRA Member
Posted 08 October 2014 - 09:57 PM
Thanks for the Kilmer analysis, Coach.
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister