Post by oldecapecod11 »

Funniest HoF Nominee
Started by Jeremy Crowhurst, Sep 16 2014 09:15 PM

Archive

19 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremy Crowhurst
PFRA Member
Posted 16 September 2014 - 09:15 PM
Okay, so this early in the process there's a lot of chaff with the wheat. But Richie Petitbon in the coaches category?

#2 RebelX24
Forum Visitors
Posted 16 September 2014 - 09:58 PM
Well, not exactly funny; more senseless than anything: Carl Hairston? Good player, but nowhere even close to HOF level, and doesn't even belong in the discussion.

#3 JuggernautJ
PFRA Member
Posted 16 September 2014 - 10:20 PM
During this week's 49ers game Al Michaels called Frank Gore a Future Hall of Famer citing his "ten seasons" as a "solid, steady performer".

I'm guessing Unbelievab-Al is not a "Small Hall" kind of guy.

#4 RebelX24
Forum Visitors
Posted 16 September 2014 - 11:07 PM
JuggernautJ, on 16 Sept 2014 - 10:20 PM, said:
During this week's 49ers game Al Michaels called Frank Gore a Future Hall of Famer citing his "ten seasons" as a "solid, steady performer".

Geez. I would call myself a "big hall" sort, and I still wouldn't advocate for Gore being inducted. He simply hasn't achieved enough over his career, and had only one really great season (2006). We've also probably reached the beginning of the end for him, with this being his 10th season and him now being 31 years of age.

If there were a Hall of Very Good, then sure, he'd be there, alongside a raft of running backs that were often good but rarely spectacular (I'm thinking of guys like Thomas Jones, Fred Taylor, Steven Jackson, Jamal Lewis, Ahman Green, Corey Dillon, and Warrick Dunn, to name several from the recent past). But this is the Hall of Fame we're talking about. No way.

#5 JohnH19
Forum Visitors
Posted 16 September 2014 - 11:11 PM
JuggernautJ, on 16 Sept 2014 - 10:20 PM, said:

Yeah, I caught that too. I absolutely hate haphazard "future hall of famer" comments. Heck, I even get somewhat annoyed when they refer to shoo-ins like R. Lewis, P. Manning and T. Brady. I am so sick of the HoF obsession that the media is perpetrating.

#6 Bob Gill
PFRA Member
Posted 16 September 2014 - 11:18 PM
I think Dick LeBeau was a very poor choice for the Hall of Fame, but now that the precedent has been set, Richie Petitbon is a perfectly valid candidate. I don't see any particular advantage LeBeau has over him. A few extra interceptions, I guess, but doesn't Petitbon have one more championship ring as a defensive coordinator? At worst, it's a tossup. You can't even give either one an extra point for having a French name.

Of course, I really wouldn't put either one in, but that's the problem with putting in poor candidates. One leads to another. And by saying "poor candidates," that's just comparing them to the standards I'd like for the Hall of Fame. I'm not criticize LeBeau OR Petitbon at all; both of them were very good players and excellent assistant coaches.

#7 JohnH19
Forum Visitors
Posted 16 September 2014 - 11:29 PM
...and failures as head coaches.

#8 Jeremy Crowhurst
PFRA Member
Posted 17 September 2014 - 12:36 AM
I don't think Petitbon can overcome the "and then he never worked again" factor.

Heck, just saying that reminds me of Jon Stewart's line at the Oscars - "Titler had so many good ideas, but we couldn't get past the name. Or the moustache."

Maybe you had to be there.

#9 JWL
PFRA Member
Posted 17 September 2014 - 12:38 AM
RebelX24, on 16 Sept 2014 - 9:58 PM, said:
Well, not exactly funny; more senseless than anything: Carl Hairston? Good player, but nowhere even close to HOF level, and doesn't even belong in the discussion.
Along with Hairston, Thomas Everett, Ken Harvey and Steve Tasker also stick out on the list.

#10 Reaser
PFRA Member
Posted 17 September 2014 - 01:36 AM
JWL, on 17 Sept 2014 - 12:38 AM, said:
Along with Hairston, Thomas Everett, Ken Harvey and Steve Tasker also stick out on the list.
I was a Thomas Everett fan, and I believe I mentioned to you before that the oddest "favorite player" of someone I've ever came across was my friend/teammate who's favorite player was Everett . . . but I was shocked when his name came across the screen, and I actually laughed when I saw Hairston.

#11 Reaser
PFRA Member
Posted 17 September 2014 - 01:40 AM
JohnH19, on 16 Sept 2014 - 11:11 PM, said:
I absolutely hate haphazard "future hall of famer" comments. Heck, I even get somewhat annoyed when they refer to shoo-ins like R. Lewis, P. Manning and T. Brady.
I can't stand it either, the "he's a future Hall of Famer" ... especially when it's said for guys that aren't future HOF'ers. I also don't like it for obvious ones like you listed, let's just wait until their careers are over then 'we' can say who is and isn't a HOF'er.

Bob Gill, on 16 Sept 2014 - 11:18 PM, said:
now that the precedent has been set ...

... that's the problem with putting in poor candidates.
Agree, 100%

#12 Jeremy Crowhurst
PFRA Member
Posted 17 September 2014 - 02:54 AM
JWL, on 17 Sept 2014 - 12:38 AM, said:

Harvey, I remember, and Tasker, obviously. Everett... not so much. I'd never heard of Hairston until today.

#13 oldecapecod 11
PFRA Member
Posted 17 September 2014 - 04:12 AM
Happy Hairston has a better shot at Springfield than Carl Hairston has at Canton.
R.I.P. Happy
Carl: Go Greyhound!

#14 Bryan
Forum Visitors
Posted 17 September 2014 - 08:57 AM
Reaser, on 17 Sept 2014 - 01:36 AM, said:
I was a Thomas Everett fan, and I believe I mentioned to you before that the oddest "favorite player" of someone I've ever came across was my friend/teammate who's favorite player was Everett . . . but I was shocked when his name came across the screen, and I actually laughed when I saw Hairston.

If we are splitting hairs, I think Hairston is a much better candidate than Everett. He had some good years with the Browns and Eagles, played a very long time, and was an assistant coach. Maybe a Walt Kiesling type resume?

I really liked Everett when he was on the Steelers. Chuck Noll's secondary was garbage in the mid-80's, but towards the end of the decade he put together a very hard-hitting group of Woodson, Lake, Delton Hall, and Everett. I don't really know why the Steelers got rid of Everett when they did. He was tiny but he could knock the hell out of WRs. Made for an interesting dynamic when the Steelers would play Glanville's Oilers.

I like that some of these obscure players can be nominated for the Pro Football HOF. It makes you re-look their career at least. I don't see any harm being done when guys like Hairston and Everett are part of the nominee pool.

The funniest/most pathetic HOF Nominee IMO was when Marshall Goldberg was a Seniors Candidate. There was actually a screening process to get Goldberg to that point, and he took the spot of about 150 more deserving candidates. That was the worst.

#15 Teo
PFRA Member
Posted 17 September 2014 - 09:31 AM
One player which every year is unexcusable omitted from the preliminary list is Richmond Webb, tackle with the Dolphins and Bengals from 1990-2002. Webb went to 7 Pro Bowls, twice was All-Pro, another two times was 2nd team All-Pro and was on the 1990s All-Decade Team. I don't know to whom I should write to correct that mistake (I've done it in the past). Another player who didn't make it this year and many years he also didn't made it was Stanley Morgan. Even Dr. Z acknowledged that he "slipped thru the cracks" and that he should be included in the preliminary list.

#16 SixtiesFan
Forum Visitors
Posted 17 September 2014 - 10:53 AM
oldecapecod 11, on 17 Sept 2014 - 04:12 AM, said:
Happy Hairston has a better shot at Springfield than Carl Hairston has at Canton.
R.I.P. Happy

I remember Happy Hairston.

#17 oldecapecod 11
PFRA Member
Posted 17 September 2014 - 11:10 AM
SixtiesFan
Posted Today, 10:53 AM
"I remember Happy Hairston."

Interesting guy and a NICE guy.
He was a member of the Lakers team that has the longest winning streak of ANY professional Sports teams.
Not even the magnificent Yankees or legendary Canadiens came close.
33 in a row...

#18 rhickok1109
PFRA Member
Posted 17 September 2014 - 11:56 AM
oldecapecod 11, on 17 Sept 2014 - 04:12 AM, said:
R.I.P. Happy
How about the chances of any of Sam Hairston's extended family for Cooperstown? (There have been five of them so far.)

#19 oldecapecod 11
PFRA Member
Posted 17 September 2014 - 12:03 PM
About the same as the Bells and Boones...

#20 Jeremy Crowhurst
PFRA Member
Posted 17 September 2014 - 05:16 PM
Is this stage of the process the "everyone who's been nominated, including by members of the public" stage? I remember about 2000 or 2001, at this point in the process, seeing Barry Foster's name among the list of nominees for the Hall. Had me thinking, "Glad to see Barry's mother is still following football". Figure she's the only person who'd think he was worthy of consideration....
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister