Post by oldecapecod11 »

ARCHIVE - NOTE: Those interested might want the Numbers worn by the players

Wow!
Started by LJP, Sep 02 2013 03:49 AM

4 replies to this topic

#1 LJP
Forum Visitors
Posted 02 September 2013 - 03:49 AM
An almost impossibly rare 1921 Staleys - Rock Island program came up for auction last week and closed yesterday with the winning price at over $5600 - a bargain!

The seller kindly listed numerous photos of the 13-Nov-1921 program and the roster page can be found here.

This will probably disappear over time, so the numerical rosters for the teams are as follows: -

Staleys
2 - Chamberlin, 3 - Sternaman, 4 - Harley, 5 - Huffine, 7 - Halas, 8 - Stinchcomb, 9 - Lanum, 10 - Pearce, 12 - Blacklock, 13 - Trafton, 14 - Taylor, 15 - Englund, 16 - Smith, 17 - Scott, 18 - Usher, 19 - Bolan, 24 - Mintun

Rock Island
2 - Conzelman, 3 - Travis, 4 - Nichols, 5 - Quinn, 7 - Novak, 8 - Smith, 9 - Johnson, 10 - Gavin, 11 - Bridgeford, 12 - Wenig, 14 - Earps, 15 - Hanson, 16 - Lyle, 18 - Keefe, 19 - Healy, 20 - Hasbrouck, 21 - Buland, 22 - Barker

Some jersey numbers of note:-

Chic Harley at #4 for the Staleys. There was previously no known jersey number for him.

The program features mini-bios and photos for the Staleys and includes Dick Barker at #18 (another previous unknown), who played the first two games with the Staleys before joining Rock Island. He appears as #22 in the program for Rock Island.

Lou Usher at #18 for the Staleys. The Bears only list him as #12 which is possibly from 1923.

Jack Mintun at #24 for the Staleys. He was #20 in 1920.

Hall of Famers Guy Chamberlin (Staleys) and Jimmy Conzelman (Rock Island) are both listed as #2. Their Hall of Fame bios make no mention of them wearing this number. Also, Hall of Famer Ed Healey is #19 for Rock Island and again his bio does not include this.

There are possibly some other previously unknown Rock Island numbers in there as well.

The program came with an equally rare 1921 Staley Fellowship Journal and the seller also had up a 1924 Bears - Rock Island program, all of which apparently were found in a storage container.

#2 lastcat3
Forum Visitors
Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:45 AM
nm

#3 LJP
Forum Visitors
Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:34 AM
Well, I did say almost!

A second 1921 Staley's program has come up for auction.

The roster page for the 23-Oct-1921 Decatur Staley's vs Dayton Triangles game at Cubs Park can be found here.

#4 Moran
PFRA Member
Posted 05 November 2013 - 11:00 PM
One of my collecting interests is older football programs - I've posted it before but I have some of them available as .pdf files on my website

http://www.hapmoran.org/Programs.html

I just post the one's I've purchased but I do save scans of any of those gems on eBay (which is a lot less expensive than buying them). The collector who bought that Staley's program has been very helpful to me in finding programs - he arranged a three way trade that allowed me to acquire the program from the Akron Indians with Fritz Pollard playing at Frankford Sept.25, 1926 - my fathers first NFL game.

There is another thread about football cards - I've never been able to understand why people will pay so much for certain football cards when these old programs have so much more to offer - pictures, information - they're great. I love the old cards too.

#5 LJP
Forum Visitors
Posted 08 November 2013 - 01:45 PM
Thanks. Reminded me what I was looking for in the first place (Bears-Packers 1935 program) when I stumbled across a thumbnail of the new 1921 Staley program, which went for almost $7500! I can understand collectors paying top dollar for old cards, but agree that they don't offer much when it comes to research purposes. I have a number of old Bears programs and other memorabilia that may contain information useful to others.

Would it be a good idea to have a section on the PFRA website where users could share research materials? It could be restricted to members only to avoid the theft of said materials, but would allow for the easier sharing of information that might otherwise not happen. I am sure that there are plenty of other people here that have old programs and other information that would be useful to others and it may save time and money for all concerned if this could be accessed via the PFRA. Just a thought : )
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister