Where would you rank Belichick amongst all time great coache

BD Sullivan

Re: Where would you rank Belichick amongst all time great co

Post by BD Sullivan »

Bob Gill wrote:Maybe people have said the same thing about Lombardi and Starr, but it seems to me that most of the ESPN sort of people assume in that case that Lombardi deserves the lion's share of the credit and Starr was more or less along for the ride.
Of course, ESPN has never been big with acknowledging that pre=merger football existed
Saban1

Post by Saban1 »

Many fans care only about football from when they started watching it. In my case, it was 1951, and more often in 1952. From 1952 on, the big teams were Cleveland and Detroit.

Belichick is right up there.
Citizen

Post by Citizen »

rhickok1109 wrote:I'm not singling you out, but I am a bit bemused by those who hesitate about giving Belichick full credit because he's had Brady all those years (and those who do it the other way around because Brady has had Belichick all those years).

Do you have the same problem with Lombardi and Starr, for example? Or Payton and Brees?
It isn't a problem at all. My exact point was that there's no way you can give either party full credit for N.E.'s run because they've been so mutually responsible for each other's success. As with the other two tandems you cite, B & B almost compose a single organism. I don't know how well one would have done without the other. Do you?
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

Pains me to say it but I can't really argue it if somebody wants to rank him as the greatest pro football coach of all time. I personally thought Walsh was better but a case can be made for Belichick too. He accomplished a lot as an assistant as well.

Though I wouldn't put him in the top 5 of greatest all time coaches (which I've seen some do) Scotty Bowman, Auerbach, Phil Jackson, McCarthy, Stengel, Toe Blake. He's not there and likely never will be.
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

Citizen wrote:
rhickok1109 wrote:I'm not singling you out, but I am a bit bemused by those who hesitate about giving Belichick full credit because he's had Brady all those years (and those who do it the other way around because Brady has had Belichick all those years).

Do you have the same problem with Lombardi and Starr, for example? Or Payton and Brees?
It isn't a problem at all. My exact point was that there's no way you can give either party full credit for N.E.'s run because they've been so mutually responsible for each other's success. As with the other two tandems you cite, B & B almost compose a single organism. I don't know how well one would have done without the other. Do you?
Of course I don't KNOW. I also don't KNOW if Lombardi would have been successful without Starr, or vice versa. But I can make a pretty good guess :)
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

I still don't get how Belichicks Super Bowl 25 gameplan is in the Hall of Fame. Yes the Giants won but the Bills never had any issues moving the ball in any which way they wanted to. They just had it for only 19 minutes.

What is so special about a gameplan that yielded 370+ total yards of offense in 19 minutes.
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

sheajets wrote:I still don't get how Belichicks Super Bowl 25 gameplan is in the Hall of Fame. Yes the Giants won but the Bills never had any issues moving the ball in any which way they wanted to. They just had it for only 19 minutes.

What is so special about a gameplan that yielded 370+ total yards of offense in 19 minutes.
because it was a game plan to keep the k gun offense of the bills off the field
JohnH19

Post by JohnH19 »

sheajets wrote:Pains me to say it but I can't really argue it if somebody wants to rank him as the greatest pro football coach of all time. I personally thought Walsh was better but a case can be made for Belichick too. He accomplished a lot as an assistant as well.

Though I wouldn't put him in the top 5 of greatest all time coaches (which I've seen some do) Scotty Bowman, Auerbach, Phil Jackson, McCarthy, Stengel, Toe Blake. He's not there and likely never will be.
I know exactly what all of those coaches/managers accomplished and I don’t see why Belichick doesn’t already rank with them and I certainly don’t see why he likely never will.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

rewing84 wrote:
sheajets wrote:I still don't get how Belichicks Super Bowl 25 gameplan is in the Hall of Fame. Yes the Giants won but the Bills never had any issues moving the ball in any which way they wanted to. They just had it for only 19 minutes.

because it was a game plan to keep the k gun offense of the bills off the field
So...he's getting credit for Ron Erhardt achievement?
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

sheajets wrote:So...he's getting credit for Ron Erhardt achievement?
I would nominate Ron Erhardt's 1980 Patriots gameplan against the Colts for the Hall of Fame. "Their going to Washington...their going to Washington...what the hell!!"