Coffin Corner Volume 41 Number 3

Ronfitch

Re: Coffin Corner Volume 41 Number 3

Post by Ronfitch »

Ken Crippen wrote:
No. You do not have to be a member to post on the forum. "Guests" means that they are not registered on the forum. Anyone can register, regardless of whether you are a PFRA member or not. However, we require a registration to attempt to keep out the spammers and troublemakers.
Would it be possible to change "Guests" to something like "Non-Registered Viewers" or "Readers" to further clarify this? A minor point, I know.

I am a big fan of making the forum open for reading (as I have said, that is how I found PRFA). IMO, this forum is a great promotional tool for PRFA.
"Now, I want pizza." 
 - Ken Crippen
Mark L. Ford
Site Moderator

Post by Mark L. Ford »

Reaser wrote:Something that's changed from a decade ago is google search results.

Used to search for something and more often than not there would be a PFRA (Coffin Corner) article about it and it would be the first or one of the first results on any search engine. After we moved sites those all became broken links, I believe. And I notice now when I randomly search for something I never really see anything PFRA/CC come up. Then I come directly here and find it.
Seems like that would be a matter of posting a duplicate of our list of Coffin Corner articles as a single document of its own in some form. (and tossing in a link to the main PFRA page) Right now, those lists require going through several layers-- the PFRA main page, the Coffin Corner page, and the listing of decades, so a search engine won't find it. I'm no expert on this, but it seems as if it would be an easy fix that wouldn't even require altering our website. Matt, thanks for bringing that up.
TanksAndSpartans

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

Ken Crippen wrote:I can unlock more.
Thanks Ken!
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

SBXIII being 40+ years ago quite surreal! Wasn't into sports yet as a 2nd-grader but do actually remember where I was that very day/night. Everyone, I think all four grandparents over, for that one! Some 'big game' in the living room's all's I knew. My classmates next day talked about a 'Super Bowl' along with last night's 'Battlestar Galactica' episode! The latter all I cared about; a big sci-fi fan, I was (biggest Star Wars-fan in the world). In fact, every time I heard my maternal grandfather from the living room say 'Staubach', I thought he was talking of 'Starbuck' from that very favorite TV show of mine. 'Bowl' was one of the spelling words our teacher placed on the blackboard upon then saying she was sure most of us saw the 'Super Bowl' the previous day (no, I won't go 'Cheech and Chong' just to try to be funny).

Yes, would have loved to have simply put the action-figures down for just a few measly hours and watched History unfold in the living room! 'Greek Gods' going at-it on the field to determine best team of All-Time! No undermining the Greatness of this certain team that's been ruling things all-Century-long since 2001. But the Best of Luck to that team's HC or QB of even it's 2007 installment getting a good night's sleep before having to play against even the '78 Cowboys the very next day!

Not the best SB-of-all-time game-wise (okay, definitely the best 1ST half of a SB ever), but clearly the most-Important of them all for all the obvious reasons! Who else makes the Hall if Dallas wins? What Steelers dont actually make the Hall?
Mark L. Ford
Site Moderator

Post by Mark L. Ford »

74_75_78_79_ wrote:My classmates next day talked about a 'Super Bowl' along with last night's 'Battlestar Galactica' episode! The latter all I cared about; a big sci-fi fan, I was (biggest Star Wars-fan in the world). In fact, every time I heard my maternal grandfather from the living room say 'Staubach', I thought he was talking of 'Starbuck' from that very favorite TV show of mine. '
But Glen Larson must have been a Steelers fan, because "Starbuck" was also the last name of Terry Bradshaw's wife at the time that Galactica started.

What I remember is that evening, after Super Bowl XIII ran, CBS showed the movie 'Black Sunday', which had used the '75 Steelers and Cowboys as unpaid actors, mixing footage from SB X with the plot of terrorists stealing the Goodyear blimp to attack the Super Bowl.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Mark L. Ford wrote:
74_75_78_79_ wrote:My classmates next day talked about a 'Super Bowl' along with last night's 'Battlestar Galactica' episode! The latter all I cared about; a big sci-fi fan, I was (biggest Star Wars-fan in the world). In fact, every time I heard my maternal grandfather from the living room say 'Staubach', I thought he was talking of 'Starbuck' from that very favorite TV show of mine. '
But Glen Larson must have been a Steelers fan, because "Starbuck" was also the last name of Terry Bradshaw's wife at the time that Galactica started.

What I remember is that evening, after Super Bowl XIII ran, CBS showed the movie 'Black Sunday', which had used the '75 Steelers and Cowboys as unpaid actors, mixing footage from SB X with the plot of terrorists stealing the Goodyear blimp to attack the Super Bowl.
Yeah, Jo Jo Starbuck!

Black Sunday...not the more-famous catch of his near mid-field, but Swann’s sideline catch I believe was seen close-up in the film only for the camera to then zoom-in across the field on the investigator walking up the stands. I believe that’s how the shot went.

When the Goodyear blimp lowers onto the field and you see the Steeler and Cowboy players scattering off the field in all directions, you can tell they were extras dressed up in the unis and not the actual players. Just imagine all the players from both teams, and coaches, being asked to hang around after the game to shoot that scene. All the fans being asked to stay as well.

1976 and this flick wasn’t about...Russia invading the SB, but a terror attack by a Palestinian group. Eerily ahead-of-its time this was. I believe in an interview, Bruce Dern said something along those lines.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

74_75_78_79_ wrote:Black Sunday...not the more-famous catch of his near mid-field, but Swann’s sideline catch I believe was seen close-up in the film only for the camera to then zoom-in across the field on the investigator walking up the stands. I believe that’s how the shot went. When the Goodyear blimp lowers onto the field and you see the Steeler and Cowboy players scattering off the field in all directions, you can tell they were extras dressed up in the unis and not the actual players. Just imagine all the players from both teams, and coaches, being asked to hang around after the game to shoot that scene. All the fans being asked to stay as well.

1976 and this flick wasn’t about...Russia invading the SB, but a terror attack by a Palestinian group. Eerily ahead-of-its time this was. I believe in an interview, Bruce Dern said something along those lines.
Miami police weren't happy about CBS showing the film the same night as the game--with plenty of buildup via promos and hype, saying that it might inspire terrorists. One of the guys in charge also made a prescient comment: "Terrorism is coming. You're going to see it. It's just a matter of time." That comment got Pete Rozelle po'ed during his annual press conference, saying that the NFL always worked with local law enforcement. Of course, 40 years later, the game now gets top priority by the federal government.

ABC offered a less controversial football-themed movie that night--the second showing of The Longest Yard. Interestingly, one year earlier, they showed a crappy made-for-TV movie, "Superdome," the week before Super Bowl XII, though there were no similar complaints. This mashed together an attempted fix, a chase for a killer--and no football scenes, with two fictional teams represented :roll: The two "star" quarterbacks were played by Ken Howard and a pre-Magnum Tom Selleck, with the movie bad enough that it was used for a Mystery Science 3000 episode. :lol:

I've mentioned before that one of the Black Sunday scenes they filmed during the game was Robert Shaw running on the sidelines in pursuit of terrorists. Apparently, nobody made security aware of this and they predictably freaked out.
Mark L. Ford
Site Moderator

Post by Mark L. Ford »

74_75_78_79_ wrote:
Mark L. Ford wrote:

LOL-- I'm just trying to figure out, who said anything about Russia?
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

Mark L. Ford wrote:
74_75_78_79_ wrote:
Mark L. Ford wrote:1976 and this flick wasn’t about...Russia invading the SB, but a terror attack by a Palestinian group. Eerily ahead-of-its time this was. I believe in an interview, Bruce Dern said something along those lines.
LOL-- I'm just trying to figure out, who said anything about Russia?

But Bruce Dern shot John Wayne in the back, so you know he can't be trusted!
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

BD Sullivan wrote:
74_75_78_79_ wrote:Black Sunday...not the more-famous catch of his near mid-field, but Swann’s sideline catch I believe was seen close-up in the film only for the camera to then zoom-in across the field on the investigator walking up the stands. I believe that’s how the shot went. When the Goodyear blimp lowers onto the field and you see the Steeler and Cowboy players scattering off the field in all directions, you can tell they were extras dressed up in the unis and not the actual players. Just imagine all the players from both teams, and coaches, being asked to hang around after the game to shoot that scene. All the fans being asked to stay as well.

Miami police weren't happy about CBS showing the film the same night as the game--with plenty of buildup via promos and hype, saying that it might inspire terrorists. One of the guys in charge also made a prescient comment: "Terrorism is coming. You're going to see it. It's just a matter of time." That comment got Pete Rozelle po'ed during his annual press conference, saying that the NFL always worked with local law enforcement. Of course, 40 years later, the game now gets top priority by the federal government.
Rozelle has stated that he thought "Black Sunday" was the worst movie ever made, and he was upset with CBS for airing it right after the Super Bowl.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen