Best-ever KICKOFF kickers?

Citizen

Re: Best-ever KICKOFF kickers?

Post by Citizen »

Jay Z wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 1:04 am I know even in the early 1970s Marcol and Stenerud, in their prime, didn't do a few of the kickoffs. Dave Pureifory and Marvin Upshaw subbed in. Some sort of minor injury, play it safe?
Pureifory filled in for Marcol in 1975 after the latter tore a thigh muscle. He did the placekicking for parts of two games until they found Joe Danelo. Four years later John Anderson filled in when Marcol got hurt again.

Upshaw did some kicking in college, so Stram used him for kickoffs during part of the 1973 exhibition season, saying he got the ball higher than Stenerud. I don't know if the experiment got any further than that.
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

Citizen wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 8:06 am
Jay Z wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 1:04 am I know even in the early 1970s Marcol and Stenerud, in their prime, didn't do a few of the kickoffs. Dave Pureifory and Marvin Upshaw subbed in. Some sort of minor injury, play it safe?
Pureifory filled in for Marcol in 1975 after the latter tore a thigh muscle. He did the placekicking for parts of two games until they found Joe Danelo. Four years later John Anderson filled in when Marcol got hurt again.

Upshaw did some kicking in college, so Stram used him for kickoffs during part of the 1973 exhibition season, saying he got the ball higher than Stenerud. I don't know if the experiment got any further than that.
Pureifory also did some kicking off in 1973-74 for Marcol.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

Jay Z wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 10:01 am Pureifory also did some kicking off in 1973-74 for Marcol.

You already mentioned him in your previous post. So I listed guys other than him. But yes, aware of that -- he had to most in 1975, 26 kickoffs ... 1 in 1974 and 12 in 1973 ... 7 touchbacks 39 kicks ... must have had a good leg.

I mentioned it when I wrote about him. He had interesting career...
https://nflfootballjournal.blogspot.com ... ifory.html