The Green Bay ownership model

conace21

Re: The Green Bay ownership model

Post by conace21 »

Regarding the original post, I think the Packer model is sustainable, because they don't really need to make a huge profit. Their shareholder/owners will never receive a dividend, and there are restrictions on selling their shares, so they aren't particularly interested in driving up the share price.
Compare this to say the Raiders; I'm sure Mark Davis lives on a salary and/or distributions from the Raiders.
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

conace21 wrote:
rhickok1109 wrote:[

If they can't somehow scrape by on guaranteed revenue of a half-billion dollars a year, of which only 47% has to be spent on player salaries, they really ought to sell the team to somebody with more financial sense.
What would someone with more financial sense do? Move the team to a new market?
They'd simply run it more efficiently and take care not to let expenditures outrun the team's cash flow. The Raiders made an estimated profit of $18 million in 2018. Where was that money when it was time to pay Mack?
conace21

Post by conace21 »

The chances that Mark sells the team are only slightly better than the odds Al Davis would have sold the team.

Now where was that $18 million? Of that $18 million, between Federal, CA, and the other states the Raiders played in, probably $8 million went to taxes. That leaves $10 million after tax profit. (I'm assuming that the $18 million is on a cash basis of accounting, not the accrual basis where most large companies file their income tax return.)

Khalil Mack's contract had $90 million guaranteed, $60 million due immediately to Mack. So even if Davis didn't withdraw a dollar of the $10 million, he would have needed $50 million more to pay Mack, and another $30 million to put in escrow. I assume owners have a plan for having to shell out $60 or $70 million at once, but from what I've read, Mark Davis has a lot of money tied up in Las Vegas right now. That may put him in a more precarious spot than usual.