Coffin Corner Volume 41 Number 3

JuggernautJ

Re: Coffin Corner Volume 41 Number 3

Post by JuggernautJ »

Reaser wrote:
Ken Crippen wrote:Guests now have read only access to the forum. I just made the change.
Excellent.
I guess I'm too late to this discussion (if discussion there was) and in the minority but I think this is not a great idea.

There was a time when I was literally too poor to afford a subscription to the PFRA (and it was only $25 a year then).
My membership lapsed for years (but obviously I came back when able).
During that time I was fighting a constant battle to avoid being homeless... but the forum was one of the few things in which I could participate for free (sometimes I went to my local library just to read and post).

The forum was one of the few things I could still enjoy at that time. It seems a shame to take that away.
IMHO being here should be about the love of football not about the ability to pay a fee.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

JuggernautJ wrote:The forum was one of the few things I could still enjoy at that time. It seems a shame to take that away.
Other way. It's even more "free" now, don't even have to sign-up (or sign-in) to view the forums.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

Reaser wrote:
JuggernautJ wrote:The forum was one of the few things I could still enjoy at that time. It seems a shame to take that away.
Other way. It's even more "free" now, don't even have to sign-up (or sign-in) to view the forums.
But one cannot post unless they are a member?
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

JuggernautJ wrote:
Reaser wrote:
Oh I see... I was interpreting "Guests now have read only access to the forum" incorrectly.

My apologies...
(I need an Emily Litella graphic to post here).
"That's very different, then. Nevermiiiind."
Ken Crippen
Site Moderator

Post by Ken Crippen »

JuggernautJ wrote:
Reaser wrote:
No. You do not have to be a member to post on the forum. "Guests" means that they are not registered on the forum. Anyone can register, regardless of whether you are a PFRA member or not. However, we require a registration to attempt to keep out the spammers and troublemakers.
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

It can't all be free. Somebody has to pony up ... human nature dictates that if you can get something for free, you won't pay for it voluntarily. And if having the CC as a download-only publication becomes a reality, I will ask for my dues back. I want my hard copy!

And I have no problem with the forum being open to read-only, but I also want it protected from spammers and flamers. Posting on the forum should be a privilege exclusive to members of the association.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
Mark L. Ford
Site Moderator

Post by Mark L. Ford »

JeffreyMiller wrote:It can't all be free. Somebody has to pony up ... human nature dictates that if you can get something for free, you won't pay for it voluntarily. And if having the CC as a download-only publication becomes a reality, I will ask for my dues back. I want my hard copy!

And I have no problem with the forum being open to read-only, but I also want it protected from spammers and flamers. Posting on the forum should be a privilege exclusive to members of the association.
For purposes of the Forum, our philosophy has been that there are people here who are PFRA members... and there are people here who could be PFRA members in the future. If we limited posting to current members of the PFRA, we wouldn't have nearly as many topics of conversation as we do now, nor would we have as much of a variety of topics to discuss. We researchers often get some intriguing ideas from the visitors' observations. Plus, it's a chance for the experts to answer questions, clear up misconceptions and show off their skills.

I know, of course, that there are some on the Forum who have posted here for years and who have no intention of ever joining PFRA-- but I have no problem with that. The historians and the aspiring writers get the benefit of the resources in the Members Only section, and the Forum is a just the chips and salsa for what PFRA has to offer.

I agree with you also that the hard copy of the Coffin Corner is what the vast majority of our members want. A print and paper magazine has a permanency that an electronic publication doesn't. For those members who want to get published in Coffin Corner, their articles get archived at the library of the PFHOF in Canton. As tech evolves, so will the PFRA, but our core is our dues-paying members.
TanksAndSpartans

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

I did another test and I got to the forum without being logged in, so that's good. I don't know enough about it to know whether that means that forum topics will now start to show up in Goggle searches after a few days, but I think that would be the hope. Another forum I frequent, net54, has a ridiculous number of Google results show up - any search even vaguely related to collecting seems to lead you to their forum - its almost impossible not to discover it if you have enough interest to Google anything related to collecting, which I think would be a good thing if this board showed up similarly. Their forum has a membership of around 10K which I think is largely fueled by Google search results. I've been surprised recently that a lot of collectors I talk to have no idea what PFRA is. One guy may have the best Jim Thorpe collection out there and the first he heard of the PFRA was from me.

Is there any way we could consider unlocking a few more years worth of CC articles? Maybe 2012 instead of 2006?
Ken Crippen
Site Moderator

Post by Ken Crippen »

TanksAndSpartans wrote:I did another test and I got to the forum without being logged in, so that's good. I don't know enough about it to know whether that means that forum topics will now start to show up in Goggle searches after a few days, but I think that would be the hope. Another forum I frequent, net54, has a ridiculous number of Google results show up - any search even vaguely related to collecting seems to lead you to their forum - its almost impossible not to discover it if you have enough interest to Google anything related to collecting, which I think would be a good thing if this board showed up similarly. Their forum has a membership of around 10K which I think is largely fueled by Google search results. I've been surprised recently that a lot of collectors I talk to have no idea what PFRA is. One guy may have the best Jim Thorpe collection out there and the first he heard of the PFRA was from me.

Is there any way we could consider unlocking a few more years worth of CC articles? Maybe 2012 instead of 2006?
I can unlock more.
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

Mark L. Ford wrote: For purposes of the Forum, our philosophy has been that there are people here who are PFRA members... and there are people here who could be PFRA members in the future. If we limited posting to current members of the PFRA, we wouldn't have nearly as many topics of conversation as we do now, nor would we have as much of a variety of topics to discuss. We researchers often get some intriguing ideas from the visitors' observations. Plus, it's a chance for the experts to answer questions, clear up misconceptions and show off their skills.

I know, of course, that there are some on the Forum who have posted here for years and who have no intention of ever joining PFRA-- but I have no problem with that. The historians and the aspiring writers get the benefit of the resources in the Members Only section, and the Forum is a just the chips and salsa for what PFRA has to offer.
Fair enough. I think Ken does a pretty good job of weeding out the trouble makers and whatever spam there is. After having been personally attacked here a couple of years ago, I just want to know that we are policing that type of activity and that the forum is a place to freely exchange ideas, stories, etc., that are football related and that don't resemble fan sites. Kudos to Ken and team for being ever vigilant.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."