Alliance of American Football more TV deals including NFL

Mark L. Ford
Site Moderator

Re: Alliance of American Football more TV deals including NF

Post by Mark L. Ford »

I think it marked the first time in pro ball since the mid-60s Cleveland Browns that the team helmets had player numbers on the side of the helmet (though I'm sure it happened in an NFL throwback game in the recent past). Interesting to watch, though it's odd that no team will have 7 points at any point in the game. And if the opener attracted 30,000 fans to the Alamodome, then most of them must have been at the concession stand.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Mark L. Ford wrote:I think it marked the first time in pro ball since the mid-60s Cleveland Browns that the team helmets had player numbers on the side of the helmet (though I'm sure it happened in an NFL throwback game in the recent past).

Johnny U, tho

Also in this game, both teams are wearing clown shoes.
RyanChristiansen

Post by RyanChristiansen »

Mark L. Ford wrote: Interesting to watch, though it's odd that no team will have 7 points at any point in the game.
I was thinking about that oddity, too. There should be fewer odd numbers in game scores from this league.
"Five seconds to go... A field goal could win it. Up in the air! Going deep! Tipped! Caught! Touchdown! The Vikings! They win it! Time has run out!" - Vikings 28, Browns 23, December 14, 1980, Metropolitan Stadium
JWL

Post by JWL »

Mark L. Ford wrote:Interesting to watch, though it's odd that no team will have 7 points at any point in the game. And if the opener attracted 30,000 fans to the Alamodome, then most of them must have been at the concession stand.
I would have set it up where touchdowns are worth seven points and then there is the play from the 2-yard line where the team can get one more point if they can convert. I'd go so far as to call it an extra point attempt.

Two-point conversions would not exist unless someone else in the room wanted to get silly and convinced me that there could be two-point conversions but the ball would have to be spotted at the 15 or 20 yard line. That way, you would have a shot at sending the game to overtime if you scored a touchdown in the final seconds while trailing 29-20.
Mark L. Ford
Site Moderator

Post by Mark L. Ford »

JWL wrote: I would have set it up where touchdowns are worth seven points and then there is the play from the 2-yard line where the team can get one more point if they can convert. I'd go so far as to call it an extra point attempt.
It's been more than 40 years, but that was the rule in the World Football League (though I don't know from what yard line the conversion attempt took place). It makes more sense; you get 7 points without the boring extra point attempt, and running or passing for the conversion gets 8 points whether it's 7+1 or 6+2. Even with the point after kick being from further out, I think the NFL kickers still hit about 95% of the time
single wing

Post by single wing »

I watched all 4 games.... I was very surprised to see Arizona use a no huddle offense for most of their game on Sunday night.
To pull that off as well as they did with guys who have only been together for a couple weeks was very impressive to me.

While i am not a fan of the 5 defensive rushers only i can understand it. The offensive lines have not played together very much so a blitzing defense might overwhelm them... On that rule given the amount of NFL experience in Management i am going to assume they had very good reasons for the rule.
Dusty Sloan

Post by Dusty Sloan »

Tod and everyone looking for game books, they are here:

https://shop.aaf.com/gamedata/
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

Mark L. Ford wrote:
JWL wrote: I would have set it up where touchdowns are worth seven points and then there is the play from the 2-yard line where the team can get one more point if they can convert. I'd go so far as to call it an extra point attempt.
It's been more than 40 years, but that was the rule in the World Football League (though I don't know from what yard line the conversion attempt took place). It makes more sense; you get 7 points without the boring extra point attempt, and running or passing for the conversion gets 8 points whether it's 7+1 or 6+2. Even with the point after kick being from further out, I think the NFL kickers still hit about 95% of the time
It was called the Action Point and was from the 2 1/2 yard line, which means it was basically a two-point play that was worth a point.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
TodMaher

Post by TodMaher »

Dusty Sloan wrote:Tod and everyone looking for game books, they are here:

https://shop.aaf.com/gamedata/
Thanks, I found that.
And just to show that NFL is working with AAF, more than they probably want to publicly acknowledge:

www.aafgsis.com

Just use the usual nflgsis username and password!
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

TodMaher wrote:And just to show that NFL is working with AAF, more than they probably want to publicly acknowledge:

http://www.aafgsis.com

Just use the usual nflgsis username and password!
That's funny. And nice find, Tod!