Worst single-season AFL Team

sheajets

Re: Worst single-season AFL Team

Post by sheajets »

RRMarshall wrote:The 1963 trade for Art Powell helped the Raiders shed themselves of their doormat status. It was typical of Al Davis...bringing what would become the Raiders' trademark 'long bomb' attack to Oakland. Those 1961-1962 Raiders teams were just horrific. I think the expansion 1968 Cincinnati Bengals would have mopped the turf with them!
For an expansion team the 1968 Bengals were bad, as was expected back then...but no train wreck. Paul Robinson certainly had the look of a future star, but that never panned out
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

The 1961 Raiders began the year by losing their first two games by a combined score of 99-0. :lol: That resulted in the resignation/firing of Eddie Erdelatz. They finished 2-12 and scored the fewest points (237), while allowing the most (458).
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

ChrisBabcock wrote:
As bad as they were, they almost beat the Raiders in Oakland late in the year (their backup QB fumbled at the goal line late in the game). History would have been different if they had (Bills don't get the #1 pick and O.J, Chiefs go to play the Jets, etc...).
O.J. was very nearly a Philadelphia Eagle. ...The Eagles’ 2 game “winning streak” in December knocked them out of position for first overall pick in the 1969 draft.
I remember how in 1968 it was assumed for weeks the Eagles would finish with the worst record and draft O.J. Simpson. In week seven, the 0-6 Eagles met the 0-6 Steelers in what was called the "O.J. Bowl." The Eagles lost 6-3 and were considered to have "won" O.J.

Then the Eagles won those two games and gave the Bills the first draft choice. Not until relatively late in the day was it realized O.J. would go to Buffalo.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

SixtiesFan wrote:
ChrisBabcock wrote:
As bad as they were, they almost beat the Raiders in Oakland late in the year (their backup QB fumbled at the goal line late in the game). History would have been different if they had (Bills don't get the #1 pick and O.J, Chiefs go to play the Jets, etc...).
O.J. was very nearly a Philadelphia Eagle. ...The Eagles’ 2 game “winning streak” in December knocked them out of position for first overall pick in the 1969 draft.
I remember how in 1968 it was assumed for weeks the Eagles would finish with the worst record and draft O.J. Simpson. In week seven, the 0-6 Eagles met the 0-6 Steelers in what was called the "O.J. Bowl." The Eagles lost 6-3 and were considered to have "won" O.J.

Then the Eagles won those two games and gave the Bills the first draft choice. Not until relatively late in the day was it realized O.J. would go to Buffalo.
Not a bad consolation prize for the Steelers
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

SixtiesFan wrote:
ChrisBabcock wrote:

That '68 game is my personal choice for worst NFL game of all time. There have only been two matchups between 0-6 teams. I seem to recall the other one was a wartime game involving the Brooklyn Tigers. I'll pick this one. The game was decided when Philly opted to go for it on 4th and 1 at their own 10 yard line late in the game. They didn't make it.

I suppose I am the expert on terrible NFL football, since I did a top ten on bad NFL games back in the day for Coffin Corner. :D
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

Jay Z wrote:That '68 game is my personal choice for worst NFL game of all time. There have only been two matchups between 0-6 teams. I seem to recall the other one was a wartime game involving the Brooklyn Tigers. I'll pick this one. The game was decided when Philly opted to go for it on 4th and 1 at their own 10 yard line late in the game. They didn't make it.

I suppose I am the expert on terrible NFL football, since I did a top ten on bad NFL games back in the day for Coffin Corner. :D
The Eagles' first win was the Thanksgiving snoozefest in the mud at Tiger Stadium, though the line score was unique: they won 12-0 by kicking one field goal in every quarter. :lol:
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

The Eagles' first win was the Thanksgiving snoozefest in the mud at Tiger Stadium, though the line score was unique: they won 12-0 by kicking one field goal in every quarter. :lol:
The whackiest one I've ever seen was the Bills 2-3-3-2 in a 12-10 loss to the Texans in 2003.
Todd Pence

Post by Todd Pence »

Jay Z wrote:
If such a list were done today, I might offer up the 6-6 tie between the Seahawks and Cardinals a couple of years ago. What is truly weird about the game is that it featured a combined 700 yards total offense by both teams and NO turnovers - hardly the kind of stats you would expect for a 6-6 game.
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

Todd Pence wrote:
Jay Z wrote:
If such a list were done today, I might offer up the 6-6 tie between the Seahawks and Cardinals a couple of years ago. What is truly weird about the game is that it featured a combined 700 yards total offense by both teams and NO turnovers - hardly the kind of stats you would expect for a 6-6 game.
Is that really a bad game? It sounds like a pretty good game to me :D