Passed the "Eye-Test" but...

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
JuggernautJ

Re: Passed the "Eye-Test" but...

Post by JuggernautJ »

TanksAndSpartans wrote: The first two are in the HOVG so probably don't meet the obscure criteria the OP mentioned.
My only criteria is that they passed your "eye-test."
My apologies for implying otherwise.
I was simply looking for players who stood out (in your opinion) but never made the Hall of Fame.

And when I say "film study" I realize that most of us (including myself) only have the opportunity to watch clips on You Tube or video tapes we may have saved.

I'm pretty lax when it comes to "obscure criteria." :)
Elkman8102

Post by Elkman8102 »

Greg Lyold always passes the eye test to me. Has he ever been a semifinalist? With Urlacher being a 1st Ballot guy you would think Lyold would get a sniff.
TanksAndSpartans

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

JuggernautJ wrote:
TanksAndSpartans wrote:I'm pretty lax when it comes to "obscure criteria." :)
Thanks. Yeah, I wasn't sure if I should mention Howton because his name does, or at least used to, come up a lot as a HOF snub.

Great idea for a thread, some of the non-HOFers have definitely been nice surprises getting to see them for myself. I wish the weekly highlight shows had started about 30 years earlier :)
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

Elkman8102 wrote:Greg Lyold always passes the eye test to me. Has he ever been a semifinalist? With Urlacher being a 1st Ballot guy you would think Lyold would get a sniff.
Greg Lloyd (3/5/none), along with Cornelius Bennett (3/5/90s) and Pat Swilling (2/5/none), is arguably one of the three most deserving of the 80s-90s OLBs not in the HoF as of now. Though at this point, the position is well represented in Canton for the period. Lloyd is perhaps at a slight disadvantage compared to the other two because his career is the shortest.

I don’t see Lloyd and Urlacher as comparable at least in part because the latter was a MLB. Lloyd has also never reached finalist stage, and best I know hasn’t been a semifinalist either.
Elkman8102

Post by Elkman8102 »

bachslunch wrote:
Elkman8102 wrote:Greg Lyold always passes the eye test to me. Has he ever been a semifinalist? With Urlacher being a 1st Ballot guy you would think Lyold would get a sniff.
Greg Lloyd (3/5/none), along with Cornelius Bennett (3/5/90s) and Pat Swilling (2/5/none), is arguably one of the three most deserving of the 80s-90s OLBs not in the HoF as of now. Though at this point, the position is well represented in Canton for the period. Lloyd is perhaps at a slight disadvantage compared to the other two because his career is the shortest.

I don’t see Lloyd and Urlacher as comparable at least in part because the latter was a MLB. Lloyd has also never reached finalist stage, and best I know hasn’t been a semifinalist either.
Linebackers are grouped together for HOF purposes. I was stating that if Urlacher is a “1st Ballot” guy shouldn’t guys like Lyold (Bennett or Gradishar) even be in the discussion.
NWebster

Post by NWebster »

A few guys - Dub Jones and Harlon Hill just always seemed to be running past guys in every film I watch. Harlon was really fast and Dub just seemed more 'slippery' but guys would seem to have angles on him and get get by them and pop off a long run. For 80's / 90's LB's I'd have to agree with Greg Lloyd - I remember Joe Gibbs quoted as saying a Redskin pre-season game plan was centered around Lloys not injuring their QB's. Also loved Wilbur Marshall, probably the best athlete on the 85 Bears D.
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

bachslunch wrote:John, of the folks you listed in the chart, I’m fine with all of these folks getting in except perhaps for Katkavage, Alzado, Rice, and O’Neill. Barring a strong film study case, at least.

Faison’s short career doesn’t trouble me any. Also glad to see Gene Brito listed, who I suspect tends to get forgotten about.
Here we go again with one of bachs tangents hey bachs you dont run the hall of fame
Ken Crippen
Site Moderator

Post by Ken Crippen »

rewing84 wrote:
bachslunch wrote:John, of the folks you listed in the chart, I’m fine with all of these folks getting in except perhaps for Katkavage, Alzado, Rice, and O’Neill. Barring a strong film study case, at least.

Faison’s short career doesn’t trouble me any. Also glad to see Gene Brito listed, who I suspect tends to get forgotten about.
Here we go again with one of bachs tangents hey bachs you dont run the hall of fame
He is entitled to his opinion, just like everyone else.