Richard Sherman

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
JohnTurney

Re: Richard Sherman

Post by JohnTurney »

JuggernautJ wrote:
JohnTurney wrote:
Do you happen to know the QB completion percentage from similar dates?
For Lane's era = 49.6% completion percentage
For Sherman's = 61.9%
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

JohnTurney wrote:
JuggernautJ wrote:
JohnTurney wrote:
For Lane's era = 49.6% completion percentage
For Sherman's = 61.9%
Thank you, John.
I remember the days when a 50% completion rate was considered "good."
Nowadays it's considered atrocious. How the game has changed...
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

Here are some interesting analytics

Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

JohnTurney wrote:
JuggernautJ wrote:
JohnTurney wrote: Anyway, from 1952-65 6.2% of the passes were picked off

From 2011-2017 2.6% of the passes have been picked off
That's a pretty amazing statistical difference.
I bet it would be similarly different.

I can get that... but yes, completion percentage has skyrocketed...
There is a weird mathematical relationship between league completion percentage and league interception percentage that has held up throughout since 1933. If you take the end of the season passing stats for the league for each season (NFL, AFL or AAFC), and graph Y=C+2.3*I, where C is the league completion percentage and I is the league interception percentage for any given season, Y always stays in a range between .6 and .7, and has only been outside that range three times. In 85 percent of all seasons, C has remained between .63 and .68. As completion percentage increases by 2.3 percentage points, interception percentage has to decrease by one percentage point in order to keep it steady. I know this sounds strange, but if you check this out you will find this to be true.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

Rupert Patrick wrote: There is a weird mathematical relationship between league completion percentage and league interception percentage that has held up throughout since 1933. If you take the end of the season passing stats for the league for each season (NFL, AFL or AAFC), and graph Y=C+2.3*I, where C is the league completion percentage and I is the league interception percentage for any given season, Y always stays in a range between .6 and .7, and has only been outside that range three times. In 85 percent of all seasons, C has remained between .63 and .68. As completion percentage increases by 2.3 percentage points, interception percentage has to decrease by one percentage point in order to keep it steady. I know this sounds strange, but if you check this out you will find this to be true.
Wow, that's really amazing!
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

Sherman's had a great career. But IMO to be a lock to be elected into the HoF, he'll need a few more stellar seasons, which he is very capable of. Looking at the stats above, I think he's just about there. I would vote for Sherman.