The Class is Good, the 2018 version

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
JohnTurney

Uracher had seasons where he

Post by JohnTurney »

made plays behind the LOS, it's not like he sucked versus the run, just that his coverage seemed better and his sideline to sidleine better than going right to POA, but he was often a free runner, and could get into backfield and stuff a RB

104 run/pass stuffs (the nick webster stat) is a big number, 86 of which were on run plays 18 on pass plays or thereabouts
Elkman8102

Re: The Class is Good, the 2018 version

Post by Elkman8102 »

conace21 wrote:Urlacher probably could not have been successful before the 1990's, but his skills were well suited for the era. He was much better against the pass than the run, but PFR does credit him with a dozen tackles on the running game on the night when Edgerrin James ran 37 times for 55 yards.
And on the famed Bettis touchdown run, Bettis only scored because a lineman had a running start into him to push him in the end zone.
As far as being a 1st ballot HOF player, I'll quote Dr. Z. When asked if he would vote for Player X, Z would answer "Depends on who he is up against."
Bettis flat out bull dozed Urlacher. There is no excuses there. Reminded me of when Brandon Jacobs did the same thing a few years later to Urlacher.

Urlacher played well in a Week 6 game in 2006 vs the run but that doesn’t mean he was elite at the POA over the course of his career. He did make highlight plays but on a snap by snap basis he was not the best vs the run. (I thought Briggs was better).

In the Super Bowl vs the Colts Addai & Rhodes combined for 264 totals yards at nearly 5 ypc. The Colts directly attacked Urlacher in the biggest game.

How about the 311 rush yards piled up by the Vikings (including 224 by AP) at Soldier Field in 2007?

These are just a few examples off the top of my Head such as this play:

https://youtu.be/ldR7sCYKC9k
JohnTurney

Not on Urlacher

Post by JohnTurney »

Elkman8102 wrote:this play:
best guess is Briggs missed his run fit, took step outside and ball run through his gap. Urlacher had gap on other side of center
I marked what I think were the assignments on the play . The safety ran up on the strong side and the play went to the weak-A gap.

Cannot, in my opinion, put this one on Urlacher. I think it was briggs

JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

Elkman8102 wrote:
conace21 wrote:Urlacher probably could not have been successful before the 1990's, but his skills were well suited for the era. He was much better against the pass than the run, but PFR does credit him with a dozen tackles on the running game on the night when Edgerrin James ran 37 times for 55 yards.
And on the famed Bettis touchdown run, Bettis only scored because a lineman had a running start into him to push him in the end zone.
As far as being a 1st ballot HOF player, I'll quote Dr. Z. When asked if he would vote for Player X, Z would answer "Depends on who he is up against."
Bettis flat out bull dozed Urlacher. There is no excuses there. Reminded me of when Brandon Jacobs did the same thing a few years later to Urlacher.

Urlacher played well in a Week 6 game in 2006 vs the run but that doesn’t mean he was elite at the POA over the course of his career. He did make highlight plays but on a snap by snap basis he was not the best vs the run. (I thought Briggs was better).

In the Super Bowl vs the Colts Addai & Rhodes combined for 264 totals yards at nearly 5 ypc. The Colts directly attacked Urlacher in the biggest game.

How about the 311 rush yards piled up by the Vikings (including 224 by AP) at Soldier Field in 2007?

As far as the others, I would need to look at them in the All-22 and see, but in general, there WERE breakdown in the Bear run defense over the years. It was not like the Ravens or Steelers over the years that were top few seemingly every year.
conace21

Post by conace21 »

Elkman8102 wrote:

Not an excuse; an observation. Bettis did a great job staying upright and keeping his feet, but he wouldn't have made it into the end zone if Alan Faneca hadn't run into the mass of humanity. Bettis had no forward momentum; Faneca had plenty of it. And if Bettis doesn't score on the play, I doubt we would still be talking about it 11 years later.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

Why can’t Randy Gradishar get a sniff?
He's on my short list of seniors that need to get in sooner than later. Would have been a far better choice than Brazile. (Not that Brazile is not deserving) Same era, almost same position... other than inside vs. outside.
Elkman8102

Post by Elkman8102 »

Now that the Urlacher selection has effectively lowered the bar for a 1st Ballot MLB/IlB; is there any chance Patrick Willis could get in in 2020? He was a 7 time pro bowler and 6 time all pro (5 first teams) and won a DROY award.

He won’t a the big market like Chicago or Pompei stating his case but he seems to have an argument for 1st Ballot.
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

Elkman8102 wrote:Now that the Urlacher selection has effectively lowered the bar for a 1st Ballot MLB/IlB; is there any chance Patrick Willis could get in in 2020? He was a 7 time pro bowler and 6 time all pro (5 first teams) and won a DROY award.

He won’t a the big market like Chicago or Pompei stating his case but he seems to have an argument for 1st Ballot.
Good question. My guess is that his short career will delay him a little. But am thinking he gets in after a couple years wait. 5/7/10s? as an honors profile is hard to argue with.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

Elkman8102 wrote:Now that the Urlacher selection has effectively lowered the bar for a 1st Ballot MLB/IlB; is there any chance Patrick Willis could get in in 2020? He was a 7 time pro bowler and 6 time all pro (5 first teams) and won a DROY award.

I think this helps Willis some. But in the old paradigm, I'd say no. Now? Maybe
Ness

Post by Ness »

JohnTurney wrote:All were qualified...and many who didn't get in were, too.

I would have preferred a lineman

The First-ballot thing is getting weaker.

Off top of head, Jackie Slater, Steve Young come to mind as guys who had flaws in the resume

Jason Taylor last year really blew it up. The 5 First ballot DEs are Gino, Deacon, Reggie and Bruce, and . . .Jason? Something wrong there.

Urlacher and Moss, borderline 1st balloters. From the highlight reels they are 1st balloters. But closer examination...maybe not

Moss ins a proven and admitted quitter. And to see him grouped with Rice and Alworth and Hutson...does not seem to fit. However, if you go why talent level then he is.

Urlacher...I get it, but it's to me borderline. He's a better 1st balloter than Jason Taylor or Jackie or Young... but he's not up to some others.

Just food for thought
Why wouldn't Steve Young be first ballot? He was arguably the best quarterback of the 1990's, and consistently had a quality year from 1991 to 1998. Won a Super Bowl where he had the best QB performance ever. Two time league MVP, and Super Bowl MVP. Only QB other than Sammy Baugh to hold a record six passing titles. Absolutely deserved to be first ballot.