Romo Retires

lastcat3

Re: Romo Retires

Post by lastcat3 »

Yep and as far as hall of fame talk goes it is a joke to consider him any type of hall of fame material. At the same time though he did as much with what he had to work with than probably anybody else in the league. You have to remember that not only was he on teams with very average to downright bad defenses in most years but in most years of his career he didn't have a reliable running game to take pressure off of him either. Demarco Murray was a good running back when he was healthy but he was hardly ever healthy.
JWL

Post by JWL »

Byron wrote:We'll see how he does in the booth. The general consensus is that he will probably have an "out" in his contract with CBS that will allow him to come back if the situation is right (and he so chooses). On the other hand, he is talking like he's made the decision and is going with it.
Maybe there is something in the contract that would let him exit after one year if he didn't like announcing or something. I cannot imagine him leaving during the season. Mike Francesa, who is often wrong, said he thinks Romo would be blackballed by the networks if he pulled that act. I believe Francesa is correct about that. Francesa should at least have some knowledge on that type of thing as he used to do broadcasting for CBS.

Another reason I don't think it would happen is that Romo would need to get into football shape, learn a playbook and then be willing to risk injury after barely playing in the past 2+ seasons. The only legit scenario that would see Romo go from the booth to the field in 2017 would be if a team was playing great (like 10-1 or 11-2 or so) and lost their quarterback and the backups were junk.

As far as playing in 2018 or beyond? I just don't see it. If he stays in the announcing booth all year and just becomes further removed from his last meaningful playing action, there's just that much more rust and risk.

I don't see a comeback, folks. I think Romo is done as a player.
Jeremy Crowhurst

Post by Jeremy Crowhurst »

I suspect the HoF argument -- to the extent that anyone makes it seriously -- is based on his career passer rating, which is fourth best, behind a couple of "future Hall of Famers" and ahead of a legion of others.

I don't know what you say to someone who thinks like that.
JWL

Post by JWL »

Yeah, I don't think there is much of a HOF argument worth having. This gets done with many players these days, however. There were serious HOF discussions on ESPN when Drew Bledsoe retired.
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

Byron wrote:
lastcat3 wrote:Romo has a good tv personality so it is not surprising that the networks would be vying for him.

As far as how Romo compares to past Cowboy qb's like White and Meredith that is a very interesting question. Obviously White and Meredith had a lot more success but at the same time they had about twice the team that Romo did. Dallas's defense through pretty much all of Romo's career was subpar at best and dreadful at other times. Compared to White and Meredith who played on teams with some of the leagues best defenses.

When you look back on it with how inadequate Dallas's defenses were Romo really had to force as much as he did in order to allow his team to win. Dallas was not put on White or Meredith's shoulders the way Dallas was put on Romo's shoulders.

It definitely would have been interesting to see how Romo would have done on a more complete team. I imagine he would have at the very least gotten to a Super Bowl and chances are good he would have won a Super Bowl or two.
Yes, he really had only one legitimate shot in 2014 and even that was with a very average defense. I think, if Dak had not caught fire last season, Romo could have taken the Cowboys to the Superbowl and possibly won it. Overall, I think he was a better QB than Dak last season (who, admittedly, had an incredible rookie season).

We'll see how he does in the booth. The general consensus is that he will probably have an "out" in his contract with CBS that will allow him to come back if the situation is right (and he so chooses). On the other hand, he is talking like he's made the decision and is going with it.
Romo was just too "good" at making mistakes at the worst possible time for me to take him seriously as an HOF or even an HOVG candidate.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

JWL wrote:Yeah, I don't think there is much of a HOF argument worth having. This gets done with many players these days, however. There were serious HOF discussions on ESPN when Drew Bledsoe retired.
The multitude of TV argument shows, radio call-in shows and podcasts need something to develop diarrhea of the mouth about, so these aren't going away anytime soon.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

JWL wrote:The only legit scenario that would see Romo go from the booth to the field in 2017 would be if a team was playing great (like 10-1 or 11-2 or so) and lost their quarterback and the backups were junk.
and that team was the Cowboys.
(with whose playbook he already has a passing familiarity)
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

Byron wrote:
lastcat3 wrote:Romo has a good tv personality so it is not surprising that the networks would be vying for him.

As far as how Romo compares to past Cowboy qb's like White and Meredith that is a very interesting question. Obviously White and Meredith had a lot more success but at the same time they had about twice the team that Romo did. Dallas's defense through pretty much all of Romo's career was subpar at best and dreadful at other times. Compared to White and Meredith who played on teams with some of the leagues best defenses.

When you look back on it with how inadequate Dallas's defenses were Romo really had to force as much as he did in order to allow his team to win. Dallas was not put on White or Meredith's shoulders the way Dallas was put on Romo's shoulders.

It definitely would have been interesting to see how Romo would have done on a more complete team. I imagine he would have at the very least gotten to a Super Bowl and chances are good he would have won a Super Bowl or two.
Yes, he really had only one legitimate shot in 2014 and even that was with a very average defense. I think, if Dak had not caught fire last season, Romo could have taken the Cowboys to the Superbowl and possibly won it. Overall, I think he was a better QB than Dak last season (who, admittedly, had an incredible rookie season).

That's not true: in 2007 the Cowboys started 12-1 (only losing to the eventually regular season undefeeated Patriots) and they had a top-10 defense with 5 players selected to the Pro Bowl (Demarcus Ware, Greg Ellis, Terence Newman, Ken Hamlin and Roy Williams). Then Jessica Simspon appears as Tony's GF and we all know the rest.
L.C. Greenwood

Post by L.C. Greenwood »

Jeremy Crowhurst wrote:I suspect the HoF argument -- to the extent that anyone makes it seriously -- is based on his career passer rating, which is fourth best, behind a couple of "future Hall of Famers" and ahead of a legion of others.

I don't know what you say to someone who thinks like that.
I don't place much stock in different passer ratings, people have tried to come up with formulas for everything over the years. It's more of a general term for me, I'll acknowledge Tony Romo had a strong career, thanks to his regular season performance. The downfall for Romo were the playoffs, for some reason, the clutch play we often saw in the regular season deserted him in the postseason. Never reaching a conference title game is a big problem, especially when he played for a franchise with multiple QBs with conference title and Super Bowl experience. A cut above Danny White, but a cut below Troy Aikman and Roger Staubach for this fan.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

I have a personal "top 100 QBs of all time" list that I tinker with and modify at the end of every season.
Currently Romo is here...
74. Matt Hasselbeck
75. Tony Romo
76. Doug Williams

Not HOF or HOVG material in my opinion.