Top 100 Pro Football Books of All-Time

Gary Najman

Re: Top 100 Pro Football Books of All-Time

Post by Gary Najman »

I hope that "Last Call: Memoirs of an NFL Referee" by Jerry Markbreit made the list. IMO it's the best book written by a former NFL official (others that wrote books are Norm Schachter, Jim Tunney, Fred Wyant, Red Cashion and umpire Chad Brown).
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

MatthewToy wrote:Will any of those Super Bowl books sold at grade school book fairs in the 80s when I was a lad be on the list? I, for one, hope so.
The one Super Bowl book that should be on the list is the book they did for Super Bowl XXV. Here is the book that is on sale on Ebay; if you ever see a copy of this where you can pick it up for a couple bucks, I recommend you buy it. It is worth purchasing for the artwork alone:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-SUPER-BOWL- ... SwmrlUzq6g

It is hoped somebody has the sense to continue this book over the past 25 years.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
mwald

Post by mwald »

To anyone disappointed that a certain book doesn't make the list, there's one way to resolve that: make your own list.

This list is just one man's opinion. Fun to read (and an interesting list for a change!) but no more valid than your own well informed opinion.

Look forward to reading the rest.
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

The Punt Pass and Kick books always will be my top 10 ... LOL ... well, I grew up on those and loved them. There are way too many to pick a top one, but among them are "America's Game" by Michael MacCambridge, "Pro Football Chronicles" by Dan Daly, and "When Pride Still Mattered" by David Marrinnis.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
JohnH19

Post by JohnH19 »

Speaking of scholastic book clubs; I used to, and still do, love the Football Stars of 19** series which ran from I believe 1963 to the mid 70s.
JWL

Post by JWL »

JeffreyMiller wrote:The Punt Pass and Kick books always will be my top 10 ... LOL ... well, I grew up on those and loved them. There are way too many to pick a top one, but among them are "America's Game" by Michael MacCambridge, "Pro Football Chronicles" by Dan Daly, and "When Pride Still Mattered" by David Marrinnis.
The first two you mentioned and "The Pro Style" by Tom Bennett might be my top 3.

I actually never finished reading "When Pride Still Mattered." Maybe I should do that.
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

JohnH19 wrote:Speaking of scholastic book clubs; I used to, and still do, love the Football Stars of 19** series which ran from I believe 1963 to the mid 70s.
Yeah, I wish I would have kept mine. I have gone back and re-built my PP&K collection, but the "Stars of ..." are harder to find, especially in good shape.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

JWL wrote:
JeffreyMiller wrote:The Punt Pass and Kick books always will be my top 10 ... LOL ... well, I grew up on those and loved them. There are way too many to pick a top one, but among them are "America's Game" by Michael MacCambridge, "Pro Football Chronicles" by Dan Daly, and "When Pride Still Mattered" by David Marrinnis.
The first two you mentioned and "The Pro Style" by Tom Bennett might be my top 3.

I actually never finished reading "When Pride Still Mattered." Maybe I should do that.
"The Pro Style" is excellent! It was very helpful to me while writing my Pop Warner book. Great descriptions of the old offensive formations and how they have evolved ...
James

Post by James »

One of the best I have ever read, probably won't make the list, The Story of Pro Football by Howard Roberts (1953)
Axes Grind and Maces Clash!
James

Post by James »

94) The Birth of Football's Modern 4-3 Defense: The Seven Seasons That Changed the NFL by T.J. Troup

94? Really? That's just wrong in my opinion. Should be Top 10 or in the Top 5 if you ask me.
Axes Grind and Maces Clash!