All-Pro team should change to reflect the changing NFL

Jeremy Crowhurst

Re: All-Pro team should change to reflect the changing NFL

Post by Jeremy Crowhurst »

Reaser wrote:
Jeremy Crowhurst wrote:There's what's true and correct, and there's what's believed by the masses. Where the two differ, sometimes you need to just move on.
I can think of many societal issues where what was believed by the masses was incorrect and if those that promoted what was true and correct hadn't done so, society would be very different.

Now let's go all the way down to something not nearly as important - though of varying importance to some of us - with all-pros. If what's believed by the masses is incorrect, then shouldn't those that care about what's true and correct promote what's true and correct? Especially considering the forum we're at. There's people who care about correcting, documenting, promoting the true history of pro football, seems counterintuitive to suggest they need to move on when one of the purposes of the PFRA should/would be to inform the uninformed masses of what's true and correct. No?
Yeah, I'm with you. But we're talking about what they're saying at Pro Football Talk. With stuff like that, I think we need to let it go. If there was some way to further the debate with the public at large, instead of just on this forum, then maybe, but I don't think there is. So they go on thinking that the AP is the "official" All-Pro, they go on thinking that Cris Collinsworth cast his vote for the All-Pro team, and they go on thinking that Mike Alstott was an awesome fullback instead of an awesome oversized running back.

I'm a prosecutor. I watch CSI. "Oh wow, they got the results of the DNA analysis in 30 minutes!" The process alone takes 48 hours, and for everything but the most serious cases you're in a four-month queue to get your test done. I don't let it get to me, it's entertainment, just like Pro Football Talk.
Reaser

Re: All-Pro team should change to reflect the changing NFL

Post by Reaser »

Jeremy Crowhurst wrote:I don't let it get to me, it's entertainment, just like Pro Football Talk.
Like a lot of the football scenes in movies.

I thought you meant let it go in general, not specifically with PFT. Still think it's best to inform people and not accept inaccuracies being spread.

Though you made the greater point: we're just talking on this forum - and I believe that goes along with what John said about wishing the names he listed would join this forum - and it's kind of setup where they have to come here.

Though even if we could 'debate' I don't think PFT guys would be receptive. I don't even remember the error but I posted a correction on PFT many years back and my comment was posted, then about 10 minutes later they deleted it and the blog post was never corrected. Think that was the only time I ever posted anything there. So if you mean to say it's a case of "they don't care, so why should we?" I would get that, to an extent, with noting that naturally I would still believe that if people are going to say things about football/football history they should try to be accurate as opposed to making something up to fit a narrative or push an agenda.