300 + 100

oldecapecod11

Re: 300 + 100

Post by oldecapecod11 »

I am quite sure I recall "the Gremlin" waiting out of position for the falling punt - maybe by 8 or 9 yards - and then dashing at the last second to field the ball and be on his way. This was, of course, long before the days of the fairy catch.
I also recall him being hit a few times - thus interfering with his ability to field the ball - and the coverage team drawing a flag.
It seems the no fun people have done all they can to eliminate what I always enjoyed as two of the most exciting plays in Football: the Punt Return and the Kick-Off Return.
Last edited by oldecapecod11 on Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister
Massimo Foglio

Post by Massimo Foglio »

Bob Gill wrote: Beyond that, I have trouble visualizing how you'd execute it. I don't know much about what a punt return (or punt coverage) team does anyway. Did the Rams just set it up in the hope that the kick would go to the opposite side of the field from where the ostensible returner was set up? I find it hard to imagine how they could check the ball in the air to see where it was going and then still have time to set up the fake return from the other side. Anyway, it was really cool to see.
In the press conference ater the game Fisher said that they found out on film that Seahawks punter tended to kick always to the same side, when trying to pin the returner near the end zone. So the fake consisted in "hoping" the ball were punted in the same spot. The punt went on the left as usual, and they sent the returner and most of the blocker to the other side to fake fileding the ball. Stedman Bailey let go the gunner he was facing at the line of scrimmage and followed the ball trajectory.
A perfect execution by all the punt return unit for the Rams.
Bob Gill

Post by Bob Gill »

Massimo Foglio wrote:
In the press conference ater the game Fisher said that they found out on film that Seahawks punter tended to kick always to the same side, when trying to pin the returner near the end zone. So the fake consisted in "hoping" the ball were punted in the same spot. The punt went on the left as usual, and they sent the returner and most of the blocker to the other side to fake fileding the ball. Stedman Bailey let go the gunner he was facing at the line of scrimmage and followed the ball trajectory.
A perfect execution by all the punt return unit for the Rams.
Oh, so it was based on scouting of tendencies. That's interesting, and explains just what I was wondering about.