Have we hit rock bottom with NFL uniforms?

JohnH19

Re: Have we hit rock bottom with NFL uniforms?

Post by JohnH19 »

That Roy Green era Cardinals' uni pictured above is absolutely beautiful! Why do idiot teams mess with perfection? $$$$$$$$$$$
MatthewToy

Post by MatthewToy »

King Kong wrote:
JuggernautJ wrote:We've reached a new low for another reason... the presence of (non-NFL) advertising on uniforms.

The nike "swoosh" on the shoulders is just the beginning (of the end). It won't be long till NFL uniforms look like NASCAR's.
That is not new. Puma, Apex One, Reebok and Champion have advertised on NFL uniforms in the past.
You forgot Starter. But, so did a lot of people.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

MatthewToy wrote:You forgot Starter. But, so did a lot of people.
They had awesome jackets though.
JKelly

Post by JKelly »

Looking at the pic of Roy Green not only is it that he has sleeves but he is also wearing knee and thigh pads............and wristbands.....whatever happened to wristbands? I guess they were football's version of the leg warmer.

Post by 3243 »

Not only are so many of the current NFL uniforms bad, but teams have gone so overboard with the alternate home and road uniforms, that it is increasingly hard to tell which teams are playing with just a glance at the TV screen. They need to go to ONE home uniform (with the pants being lighter than the jerseys), ONE road uniform, and for those teams that want to wear one, ONE throwback uniform. Also, I'm not crazy about those black socks they wear on the outside of their shoes to produce the ugly high-top look. I think the players looked best in white shoes or black low-top shoes with white laces, like they wore in the 1960s and '70s.

To see what I think are the best uniforms for each team (and I did keep some modern designs, but within reason, as well as a lot of more traditional ones), you can click here: http://oilers1972.deviantart.com/gallery/

They're on Pages 1 and 2.

Post by 3243 »

JohnH19 wrote:That Roy Green era Cardinals' uni pictured above is absolutely beautiful! Why do idiot teams mess with perfection? $$$$$$$$$$$
AMEN.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

3243 wrote:Not only are so many of the current NFL uniforms bad, but teams have gone so overboard with the alternate home and road uniforms, that it is increasingly hard to tell which teams are playing with just a glance at the TV screen. They need to go to ONE home uniform (with the pants being lighter than the jerseys), ONE road uniform, and for those teams that want to wear one, ONE throwback uniform.
That's been my longtime thought as well. Though with the caveat that the throwback can only be worn once a year (always had the idea to make Thanksgiving weekend the weekend for throwbacks. Rest of the year ONE home, ONE away.)
JoeZagorski

Post by JoeZagorski »

I think that we have hit rock bottom, but I'm afraid of what might be developed in the future. I really wish that the teams would stick with one home uniform and one away uniform, like they used to in the good old days (the 1970s).
JoeZagorski

Post by JoeZagorski »

Thinking about this topic even more, I really wish that the Philadelphia Eagles would bring back the throwback uniforms from 1970-1973. I loved those white helmets and green wings. Yeah, they won barely twice each year while they wore them (I'm exaggerating of course), but they were still sharp uniforms.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

The orange crush Broncos uniforms that were replaced in the late 90s with the hideous ones they wear today were classic. One of my favorites when I was a kid.