World's Most Valuable Sports Franchise

luckyshow

Re: World's Most Valuable Sports Franchise

Post by luckyshow »

Research might be tough on this one. I found reference to the Irish Dublin Celtics or Celts playing similar teams from Massachusetts.

See the end of the part here on Kevin Sharkey:
http://www.nkreapers.com/#!coaching-staff/c1swh

A problem in addition to others, might be that over in UK and Ireland, the local papers tend to not refer to the local teams by their full names.

Also, many of these Mass. teams are near Boston and there isn't much of digitalized papers from there on line...

This could prove interesting or impossible research.
Look at this snippet:
http://randolphoilers.com/uploads/1987. ... reland.pdf

Albany Metro-Maulers were also called the Metro-Mallers. All I find is mid 1970s newspapers. They were also in a Seaboard Football League. In 1973 they signed a farm team affiliate deal with the Montreal Alouettes but find little else so far...
oldecapecod11

Post by oldecapecod11 »

by luckyshow » Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:57 am
"I'll see what I can find. It might get complicated as there were also semi-pro teams from Manchester, New Hampshire, which did sometimes play those same teams like from Hyde Park, etc. Manchester Riflemen were one."

That was much later.
Both EFLs went through a number of shake-ups with the formation of a new type of "tier" league similar to the nonsense soccer went through
with all its foolish levels of "professional" and semi-pro levels.
Many were modeled after the British system of top team moves up a level, bottom team moves down a level.
It played havoc with things like establishing rivalries and developing a fan base.

Let's face... they all try to be like "baseball" in the US or like "hockey" in Canada.
Those systems were not developed by the fast-buck artists of today. Even basketball failed - ten guys running around in their underwear.
We have the NBA - everything else is nothing but playground. There are "street teams" in Harlem and Philadelphia that could destroy
any minor-league basketball team and then go back to their regular jobs of selling drugs and stealing cars.
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister
luckyshow

Post by luckyshow »

I am lost about AFA. I know I can sometimes sound dense, but I know a long defunct football league had the name, and a soccer organization. What should I be looking for?

Never mind, I think I found it.
oldecapecod11

Post by oldecapecod11 »

by luckyshow » Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:52 am
"I am lost about AFA..."

I just sent you two e-mail messages.
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister
luckyshow

Post by luckyshow »

Can anyone help with two items. I'd like scores, opponents and what leagues these two teams were in.

93 yard punt Dave Whitt, Fox Valley Outlaws, 10/20/1985
91 yard punt Bob Dylla, Racine Hornets 11/13/1949

The last one is in the Racine Journal Times in newspaperarchive.com for 11/14/1949 but whatever I've tried I can't pry any additional data from what they give in summary. Maybe this was in the Illinois Football League, but I couldn't even figure out the opponent, let alone a score or league. The other one I have no idea.