Most future Hall of Famers, single game?

Kermit McManus

Most future Hall of Famers, single game?

Post by Kermit McManus »

Respectfully submitted. Thanks in advance.
SixtiesFan

Re: Most future Hall of Famers, single game?

Post by SixtiesFan »

I haven't counted, but start with he 1962 Pro Bowl. Rare Sportsfilms put this game on DVD several years ago. Watching it is like seeing the Pro Football Hall of Fame in action.

I understand you may mean a regular season or playoff game rather than a Pro Bowl.
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

SixtiesFan wrote:I haven't counted, but start with he 1962 Pro Bowl. Rare Sportsfilms put this game on DVD several years ago. Watching it is like seeing the Pro Football Hall of Fame in action.

I understand you may mean a regular season or playoff game rather than a Pro Bowl.
This question came up a few years back, and we had it narrowed down to the 1961 Packers Colts games which had the most Hall of Famers on the field at once, players and coaches included, and the total was 20. For the Packers: Vince Lombardi, Bart Starr, Paul Hornung, Jim Taylor, Jim Ringo, Forrest Gregg, Willie Wood, Willie Davis, Ray Nitschke, Henry Jordan and Herb Adderley. For the Colts: Weeb Ewbank, Johnny Unitas, Joe Perry, Raymond Berry, Lenny Moore, Gino Marchetti, Jim Parker, Art Donovan and Emlen Tunnell.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

Rupert Patrick wrote:
SixtiesFan wrote:I haven't counted, but start with he 1962 Pro Bowl. Rare Sportsfilms put this game on DVD several years ago. Watching it is like seeing the Pro Football Hall of Fame in action.

This question came up a few years back, and we had it narrowed down to the 1961 Packers Colts games which had the most Hall of Famers on the field at once, players and coaches included, and the total was 20. For the Packers: Vince Lombardi, Bart Starr, Paul Hornung, Jim Taylor, Jim Ringo, Forrest Gregg, Willie Wood, Willie Davis, Ray Nitschke, Henry Jordan and Herb Adderley. For the Colts: Weeb Ewbank, Johnny Unitas, Joe Perry, Raymond Berry, Lenny Moore, Gino Marchetti, Jim Parker, Art Donovan and Emlen Tunnell.
Wasn't Tunnell with the Packers in 1961?
Kermit McManus

Post by Kermit McManus »

Thank you for the answers. I thought Pro Bowl was too much of a cheat, so wasn't looking at those.

I knew it was way off the mark, but I counted 11 rostered players, coaches and executives in the infamous Oilers-Bills comeback game, including Ralph Wilson, Marv Levy and Bill Polian.

You need overlapping dynasties/powerhouses to do this, obviously. Will look at the 49ers-Cowboys games of the same era and Steelers-Cowboys games of the '70s.
Last edited by Kermit McManus on Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

Kermit McManus wrote:Thank you for the answers.

I knew it was way off the mark, but I counted 11 rostered players, coaches and executives in the infamous Oilers-Bills comeback game, including Ralph Wilson, Marv Levy and Bill Polian.

You need overlapping dynasties/powerhouses to do this, obviously. Will look at the 49ers-Cowboys games of the same era and Steelers-Cowboys games of the '70s.
Steelers-Dolphins or Steelers-Raiders games from the 1970's will also have plenty.
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

SixtiesFan wrote:
Rupert Patrick wrote:

Wasn't Tunnell with the Packers in 1961?
Yes.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Glad to see my posts from yesterday which list HOFers in single games have been deleted.
Ken Crippen
Site Moderator

Post by Ken Crippen »

Bryan wrote:Glad to see my posts from yesterday which list HOFers in single games have been deleted.
Nobody purposely deleted anything. There was a brief time where DNS servers were updated. It may have been lost in that transition. My apologies.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Thanks. It seems like this forum's bugaboo of inconsistency flew up and bit me again.