Top 5 teams since 1980

conace21

Re: Top 5 teams since 1980

Post by conace21 »

Teo wrote:
conace21 wrote:I forgot about the 96 Packers. I'm bumping the Bucs in favor of the Pack. I forgot Green Bay ranked number 1 in offense and defense...the first team since the undefeated Dolphins to do so.

The 1977 Dallas Cowboys also finished 1st in yards in offense and defense.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/t ... l/1977.htm
I should clarify. The 1996 Packers were 1st in points on both offense and defense. They had the #1 defense in yards, but were"only" 5th in yards gained.
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

For my money, the best teams for the last 35 years are the 1998 Broncos, 1985 Bears, and 1998 Vikings.

I know that there is a lot of love for the 1989 49ers, but they remind me of the 2001 Lakers: A team that caught fire in the postseason, but wasn't that dominant during the regular season. I am also not that impressed by the 1984 49ers, either. They beat the Bears without McMahon in the NFC Title Game (the Skins or the Cardinals would have given them a much better game), and they beat a one-trick pony Dolphin team in Super Bowl XIX.

As for other teams that get a lot of love:

1992 Cowboys: Weren't as talented as people think (in my opinion, the Oilers were the most talented team in the NFL in the early-90's), and beat up on a Bills team that didn't deserve to be in the Super Bowl.

2007 Patriots: Had a dominant year, but played in an extremely weak division (QB's that AFC East teams started included Cleo Lemon, J.P. Losman, and Kellen Clemens). Also, on other boards, I have seen people say that their schedule was very tough, but it wasn't as tough as it looked.

For example, they got San Diego at the beginning of the year (when they usually didn't play that good), and they got the Steelers at the end of the year (when they were struggling, and didn't have a healthy Polamalu or Ryan Clark). They also beat a banged-up Charger team in the AFC Title Game, and their prolific offense didn't really show up in the Super Bowl.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

I guess that I, the original poster, will kill two birds with a stone - revive the thread but, more importantly, finally (after over 5 years) give my very own FWIW/IMHO Top 5...

1) 1989 Forty Niners
Yes, not too dominant of a regular season but, then again, doesn't the same apply to the '78 Steelers? 14-2 is still 14-2 and once the playoffs began...offense putting up a 41-burger on Sgt Rock, 30-3 vs a Robinson Rams team who almost swept them/always played them tough at the Stick, then finally 55-10 (still the most lopsided SB to this day) !!!!

2) 1985 Chicago Bears
Perhaps I see some greats not making this list matching up well vs them head-to-head, but overall rankings-wise these SB-Shufflers are the since-'80 runner-up!

3) - tie - 1992 & 1993 Dallas Cowboys
'Twins', these two are, in every sense of the word! I 'treat' the latter as a '15-1' team (their only 'real' loss, to me, was their tenth game of the season, in Atlanta). But the previous year's installment dominant-enough to tie them both together. Talent, speed, Jimmy Johnson and staff...

5) 1984 Forty Niners
Lack-of 'star-power' is what places the others above them if however barely. They could very easily be #3 (their breath fogging Bears' rearview) just the same. It came down to these guys and SF's 1994 installment for this, here, final spot. Yes, '94 sure did have the...'star-power', but a significantly lesser run-game and defense just boxes them out.