Book about 1987 strike season and players

Jay Z

Re: Book about 1987 strike season and players

Post by Jay Z »

NWebster wrote:
oldecapecod 11 wrote:Sample:

The two columns at the bottom show the data as retrieved from the PFReference site last year and how it appears when entered into a database.
The two columns at the top show the reformatted version and how it will appear in a database.
This was included in the thread of last year that was so readily trashed.
A shame! so much data by so many people and so little regard shown for their efforts.
By the way, I must amend an earlier statement praising the assumed efforts to correct the matters that have plagued this site since it was so foolishly given away.
It took SIX attempts to get these simple charts posted.
Oh well... only nine months to go...
That's cool.

I always find it funny that there was such vitriol at the time and the a Sean Payton became a future head coach in the league. Short memories.
Coaches are hired by ownership. Ownership was pro-replacement. The players involved in that strike were likely all retired by the time Payton became a head coach.
fgoodwin

Post by fgoodwin »

oldecapecod 11 wrote:This will help for most of it.
I have the entire list of players through and including 2013 - reformatted so you can read it: I.E. last, first, team, year - unlike the format otherwise available.
If you want a copy, ask. Remember to ask nicely.
In the meantime, you can see if this helps.
===
It is a LINK to LINKS of teams' lists of players.
You will note there are a number of different formats: I.E. most list AFL players, the Jets do not; some list coaches; some list venues; some limit the list to a minimum of five games; some include replacement players; etc.
Enjoy... if you have not already done so...
http://en.wikipedia....all_League_team
===
* This, by the way, was a thread created just about a year ago.
(Started by oldecapecod 11, May 24 2014 10:30 AM)
Unfortunately, the cabal opted to trash it.
May I have a copy of your list? (was that nice enough?)

Thanx

Fred Goodwin
americas_team@hotmail.com

BTW: the wiki link doesn't work.
fgoodwin

Post by fgoodwin »

NWebster wrote:
oldecapecod 11 wrote:Sample:

The two columns at the bottom show the data as retrieved from the PFReference site last year and how it appears when entered into a database.
The two columns at the top show the reformatted version and how it will appear in a database.
This was included in the thread of last year that was so readily trashed.
A shame! so much data by so many people and so little regard shown for their efforts.
By the way, I must amend an earlier statement praising the assumed efforts to correct the matters that have plagued this site since it was so foolishly given away.
It took SIX attempts to get these simple charts posted.
Oh well... only nine months to go...
That's cool.

I always find it funny that there was such vitriol at the time and the a Sean Payton became a future head coach in the league. Short memories.
That depends. Dallas is not a union town.

While the attendance for the replacement games was not up to the usual, I can say the Dallas fans that did attend wholeheartedly supported the replacement players. The replacements may have had issues crossing the picket line, but as far as I know, they didn't catch any grief from the fans themselves. QB Kevin Sweeney was a fan favorite (he led the Cowboys to two wins in the games he started; when Danny White came back, the Cowboys lost the only strike game he started), as was DT Mike Dwyer (who made the cover of one the game programs). The fans liked the way the replacements played with enthusiasm, as compared to the business-like approach of the regular Cowboys.

Plus, I'm guessing that those fans who boycotted the strike games on principle probably sold (or gave away) their tickets to fans who might not otherwise get a chance to see an NFL game, and those "replacement" fans may have been just as grateful to be there as the strike players. I was one of those fans -- I was even interviewed by a local TV station (not in the DFW market, but from Tyler-Longview, I think), and they asked me why was I there, and did I support the replacements? I told them I did and I was there to enjoy the game, I wasn't "making a statement".

One of the odd things about the Cowboys was that the players never forgave QB Danny White for crossing, yet as far as I can tell, DT Randy White and RB Tony Dorsett (both of whom crossed, Randy on day one, Tony a week or so later) never caught any grief from their team mates.
oldecapecod11

Post by oldecapecod11 »

by fgoodwin » Fri May 01, 2015 8:45 am
"...BTW: the wiki link doesn't work."
---
I will search for that list and have it to you asap. It is 22,000+ people.
I never used the link again but am not surprised it does not work. Please remember: it was a list through and including 2013 and immediately became obsolete with the first signing of a 2014 player.
A copy of this is being sent to your e-mail so that our machines are talking.
P
PS I had just watched "A Few Good Men" for the umpteenth time. The "nicely" thing was my best Jack Nicholson impersonation. I like to believe that everyone can handle Truth.
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister
King Kong

Post by King Kong »

fgoodwin wrote:Are there any books about the 1987 strike season, and in particular, lists of replacement players by team?
Mike Tanier's book "A Good Walkthrough Spoiled" has extensive info on the strike.
Shipley

Post by Shipley »

Somewhat related, there was an article several years ago in the Coffin Corner about the Connecticut Giants, the semi-pro team that provided many of the replacement players for the NY Giants. Not sure when, but maybe others remember.
Ken Crippen
Site Moderator

Post by Ken Crippen »

Shipley wrote:Somewhat related, there was an article several years ago in the Coffin Corner about the Connecticut Giants, the semi-pro team that provided many of the replacement players for the NY Giants. Not sure when, but maybe others remember.
Volume 29 Number 2. Authored by some guy named Mark L. Ford.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

In the 1988 The Sporting News' Pro Football magazine, there were some good stories about the replacement players (an unemployed schoolteacher, Keith Bishop (not the Broncos guard) who was the third stringer quarterback for the 0-3 replacement Vikings and won more money because the real Vikings got to the NFC Championship game despite the poor job of the scabs; some Oilers players, one who was supposed to be dead and another who was an opera singer; one running back (I beleve his surname was Baines) who played for a semi-pro team in Orlando and went to the Seahawks, but couldn't play; and Lemuel "Limbo" Parks, a 300-plus pounds guard from Arkansas who was passed in that year NFL Draft and then was working as a pizza delivery guy when the 49ers called up).
rockhawk

Post by rockhawk »

I don't remember the details, but I believe there was a replacement player on the Bears that was a teacher in a school district that was on strike. The irony!