Thoughts on 1966 NFL & AFL draft

Bryan

Thoughts on 1966 NFL & AFL draft

Post by Bryan »

I was looking at the 1966 draft in regards to Doug Buffone's career. It was the last pre-merger draft, and I hadn't really looked at it in-depth before. The 1965 draft had an abundance of talent. The 1966 draft was pretty unremarkable in itself, was downright terrible compared to 1965.

*Tommy Nobis was the first pick. Tom Mack was the second pick and the only HOFer of the class. The third pick by the Steelers was...Dick Leftridge, FB from West Virginia. John Niland and Gale Gillingham were the other notable 1st rounders, and 1st rounder Milt Morin had a nice career with the Browns at TE and had the most receptions of the draft class.

*Doug Buffone tied for the 2nd longest career of the class, with Doug Van Horn & Jack Gregory also playing through the 1979 season. Diron Talbert had the longest NFL career, playing through 1980. Interestingly, Nobis had one of the longer careers, too. Don Hansen was a LB-mate of Nobis in Atlanta and played 12 years, and Hansen was also a LB-mate of Ron Acks at Illinois in college, and Acks played 9 years in the NFL.

*The only regular starting QB of the class was Randy Johnson, who easily topped the draft class passing statistics. Rick Norton was a #2 overall selection by the Dolphins in the AFL draft, and his horrible career was good enough for #2 on the draft class passing chart. The Dolphins and the AFL's #1 overall selection was Jim Grabowski...not a very good start for the Miami franchise.

*The idea that it was the NFL owners who benefited from the common draft (lest they be outbid by their richer AFL owner counterparts) is not helped by the 1966 AFL draft. The only 1st rounder who did much of anything with their drafted team was Aaron Brown of the Chiefs. It somehow gets worse in the later rounds. I was surprised at how few AFL players came out of the 1966 draft. You had a trio of RBs (Mike Garrett, Emerson Boozer, Pete Banaszak), and thats about it. Preston Ridlehuber threw for the 2nd most TDs (1) and 3rd most yards (45), behind Norton and Denver's Scotty Glacken. Howard Twilley topped the AFL receiving categories. Outside of Aaron Brown, the most accomplished defensive players were Fletcher Smith and Steve Chomyszak. Hoyle Granger (5th round) ended up being one of the best picks of the draft.

*My non-research of All-Pros (correct me if I am wrong) has Niland and Gillingham being the only players with multiple 1st team selections (2 each). Mack was a pro bowl fixture. Nobis was a very good player at MLB. Mike Garrett had a nice career. Ken Reaves played a long time at DB for the Falcons. But all in all a weak draft class.
SixtiesFan

Re: Thoughts on 1966 NFL & AFL draft

Post by SixtiesFan »

The big news from the 1966 draft was Donny Anderson and Jim Grabowski being signed by the Packers. Anderson supposedly got $600,000, more than Joe Namath a year earlier.
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

SixtiesFan wrote:The big news from the 1966 draft was Donny Anderson and Jim Grabowski being signed by the Packers. Anderson supposedly got $600,000, more than Joe Namath a year earlier.
Jim Grabowski reportedly got $625,000 and Nobis $700,000.

It's hard to know how to take those reported figures. Supposedly, Houston offered Anderson $887,000, including a $200,000 home, a $36,000 swimming pool, and $16,000 worth of furniture. And didn't Namath's supposed $400,000 include a car for his brother or brother-in-law or somebody?
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

rhickok1109 wrote:It's hard to know how to take those reported figures. Supposedly, Houston offered Anderson $887,000, including a $200,000 home, a $36,000 swimming pool, and $16,000 worth of furniture. And didn't Namath's supposed $400,000 include a car for his brother or brother-in-law or somebody?
I forget the specific wording, but the NFL Network "Caught in the Draft" show made it seem like the Jets gave Joe Namath's brothers salaried positions as 'scouts', and these salaries were included in the $427,000 contract figure (among other things, such as the car). I think the rough breakdown was $200K in actual salary and $227K in 'other'.
Saban1

Post by Saban1 »

Francis Peay was not considered a very successful 1st round pick for the Giants, but after a couple of years in New York, he was traded to Green Bay for tackle Steve Wright and linebacker Tommy Crutcher. New York sportswriters wrote that New York got far the better of the deal, but Peay ended up as a starter for the Packers at left tackle for about 3 years taking the place of Bob Skoronski when he retired. He also played for Kansas City for awhile later and was a starter for about a year there, I think.

Steve Wright started at right tackle for the Giants in 1968 and I think for a short time in 1969 and was cut in training camp in 1970 and was picked up by Washington. Later played for Chicago and St. Louis and the WFL.

Tommy Crutcher started at LLB in 1968 and RLB in 1969 for the Giants, and then hurt his knee and was traded to the Rams, and wound up back in Green Bay in 1971.
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

Saban wrote:Francis Peay was not considered a very successful 1st round pick for the Giants, but after a couple of years in New York, he was traded to Green Bay for tackle Steve Wright and linebacker Tommy Crutcher. New York sportswriters wrote that New York got far the better of the deal, but Peay ended up as a starter for the Packers at left tackle for about 3 years taking the place of Bob Skoronski when he retired. He also played for Kansas City for awhile later and was a starter for about a year there, I think.

Steve Wright started at right tackle for the Giants in 1968 and I think for a short time in 1969 and was cut in training camp in 1970 and was picked up by Washington. Later played for Chicago and St. Louis and the WFL.

Tommy Crutcher started at LLB in 1968 and RLB in 1969 for the Giants, and then hurt his knee and was traded to the Rams, and wound up back in Green Bay in 1971.
Steve Wright put out a somewhat funny book on his career in 1975, "I'd Rather Be Wright." Wright in 1969 was used to model for what became the NFL's Man of The Year Award, now the Walter Payton Award.
Saban1

Post by Saban1 »

SixtiesFan wrote:
Saban wrote:Francis Peay was not considered a very successful 1st round pick for the Giants, but after a couple of years in New York, he was traded to Green Bay for tackle Steve Wright and linebacker Tommy Crutcher. New York sportswriters wrote that New York got far the better of the deal, but Peay ended up as a starter for the Packers at left tackle for about 3 years taking the place of Bob Skoronski when he retired. He also played for Kansas City for awhile later and was a starter for about a year there, I think.

Steve Wright put out a somewhat funny book on his career in 1975, "I'd Rather Be Wright." Wright in 1969 was used to model for what became the NFL's Man of The Year Award, now the Walter Payton Award.
Saban1

Post by Saban1 »

SixtiesFan wrote:

I've read it. Wright did well for the Giants in 1968, but only played 2 games for the Giants in 1969. He got into some kind of trouble with the Giants' management. Don't think that he will ever become president of the Tucker Frederickson fan club.
oldecapecod11

Post by oldecapecod11 »

by Saban » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:38 pm
"...Steve Wright started at right tackle for the Giants in 1968 and I think for a short time in 1969 and was cut in training camp in 1970 and was picked up by Washington. Later played for Chicago and St. Louis and the WFL."

by SixtiesFan » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:02 pm
"Steve Wright put out a somewhat funny book on his career in 1975, "I'd Rather Be Wright." Wright in 1969 was used to model for what became the NFL's Man of The Year Award, now the Walter Payton Award."

Steve Wright must have taken advantage of "The Great White Way" during his time in New York. George M! opened on Broadway in 1968 and one of the songs was "I'd Rather Be Right" originally sung in a play of the same name produced by Cohan's long-time partner Sam Harris. Cohan's protrayal of FDR earned acclaim at all levels and the production gave a boost to Harris whose career had fallen on bad times after he and George M had ended their partnership. Of course there is always the chance Wright only saw the NBC television production but let's give him credit for patronizing the arts.
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister
Saban1

Post by Saban1 »

oldecapecod 11 wrote:by Saban » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:38 pm
"...Steve Wright started at right tackle for the Giants in 1968 and I think for a short time in 1969 and was cut in training camp in 1970 and was picked up by Washington. Later played for Chicago and St. Louis and the WFL."

by SixtiesFan » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:02 pm
"Steve Wright put out a somewhat funny book on his career in 1975, "I'd Rather Be Wright." Wright in 1969 was used to model for what became the NFL's Man of The Year Award, now the Walter Payton Award."

Steve Wright must have taken advantage of "The Great White Way" during his time in New York. George M! opened on Broadway in 1968 and one of the songs was "I'd Rather Be Right" originally sung in a play of the same name produced by Cohan's long-time partner Sam Harris. Cohan's protrayal of FDR earned acclaim at all levels and the production gave a boost to Harris whose career had fallen on bad times after he and George M had ended their partnership. Of course there is always the chance Wright only saw the NBC television production but let's give him credit for patronizing the arts.

Was it "I'd rather be right than president,' or am I thinking of another show?