1939 NFL Rules Book

Moran

1939 NFL Rules Book

Post by Moran »

Here is a 1939 NFL Rules Manual which appears to have belonged to a former official - it's completely worked over with notes and the last page seems to indicate where the owner would be working during the season. I've tried to find a common name for the various games in newspaper clippings, but so far no luck. I wish the owner had put their name and address in the book (say Hugh Ray or Tom Thorp) but the mystery remains.

James

1939 NFL Rules Book

Post by James »

That is really awesome and a nice pick up. Thanks so much for sharing.
Axes Grind and Maces Clash!
Gary Najman

Re: 1939 NFL Rules Book

Post by Gary Najman »

Great find! Thanks for sharing.

It's interesting how awkward was the schedule back then: Pittsburgh had played two games but five teams hadn't started the season yet. Also, it's neat that there were night games back then. I know that not all the MLB/NFL stadiums had lights in 1939. I think that the Bears played at Comiskey Park against Cleveland, since Wrigley Field hadn't lights for decades.
LJP

Re: 1939 NFL Rules Book

Post by LJP »

The September 15 1939 (Friday night) Bears - Rams game was at Soldier Field, with a 20:30 kickoff. With Wrigley Field out of action due to the baseball, the Bears usually opened their first three of four games on the road, unless they could sneak one in somewhere else in Chicago.