List of college QBs who became RBs in the NFL

BD Sullivan

Re: List of college QBs who became RBs in the NFL

Post by BD Sullivan »

conace21 wrote:
Saban wrote:Leroy Kelly was a quarterback at Morgan State.
Julian Edelman is another QB turned receiver
Ironically also from Kent State
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

conace21 wrote:
I think Kelly and Hornung are the only HOF RB's to play QB in college. Frank Gifford was recruited to USC as a QB, and he threw 60 passes his senior year, but I believe he was still primarily a RB.

Julian Edelman is another QB turned receiver. Kordell Stewart was primarily a WR his first two seasons before becoming Pittsburgh's starting QB.
USC still ran the single wing when Gifford was there; he played tailback, which was considered the left halfback.
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

rhickok1109 wrote:
conace21 wrote:
I think Kelly and Hornung are the only HOF RB's to play QB in college. Frank Gifford was recruited to USC as a QB, and he threw 60 passes his senior year, but I believe he was still primarily a RB.

Julian Edelman is another QB turned receiver. Kordell Stewart was primarily a WR his first two seasons before becoming Pittsburgh's starting QB.
USC still ran the single wing when Gifford was there; he played tailback, which was considered the left halfback.
And Billy Kilmer was a single-wing tailback at UCLA, probably why Red Hickey drafted him as it meant Kilmer would be comfortable in the Shotgun. Also a good enough runner to play some halfback.
conace21

Post by conace21 »

rhickok1109 wrote:
conace21 wrote:

Got it. Gifford tried out as a QB in the 1959 preseason. In one game, Alex Webster dropped a sure TD pass from Gifford. At halftime, Jim Lee Howell asked him to line up at halfback.
oldecapecod11

Post by oldecapecod11 »

Betcha Terry Baker cudda been / shudda been a Halfback in the NFL and / or CFL.
Boy! Talk about a guy whose Sports' lights went out after the College All-Star Game...
But... what a college career!
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

oldecapecod 11 wrote:Betcha Terry Baker cudda been / shudda been a Halfback in the NFL and / or CFL.
Boy! Talk about a guy whose Sports' lights went out after the College All-Star Game...
But... what a college career!
He was a HB. The Rams moved him there, didn't do a whole lot though. I've seen a little bit, had good hands receiving, they also ran the HB pass with him which he should have thrown a TD on it in 1965 but McKeever fumbled at the one yard line and Night Train recovered it - which I believe was also the last TO Lane got in his career, so Baker would be part of history being involved on that play.
oldecapecod11

Post by oldecapecod11 »

by Reaser » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:30 pm
"He was a HB. The Rams moved him there, didn't do a whole lot though. I've seen a little bit, had good hands receiving, they also ran the HB pass with him which he should have thrown a TD on it in 1965 but McKeever fumbled at the one yard line and Night Train recovered it - which I believe was also the last TO Lane got in his career, so Baker would be part of history being involved on that play."

Baker had more than his share of being part of history. As I mentioned, he had quite a college career.
Heisman Trophy - NCAA Final Four Basketball - 99-yard TD run in a Bowl game - last College All-Star team to defeat the NFL champion - and I am pretty sure he also played Baseball at OSU.
Maybe that All-Star Game was a bad omen: They beat the Green Bay Packers. The collegiate MVP was the QB, who was NOT Baker
but, Ron VanderKelen of Wisconsin, which might have softened the blow for the cheeseheads.
I think I read someplace - but it was a looonnnggg time ago so don't write out a deposit slip - that he was brilliant but a bit of a head case. The writer cited he insisted on being given the opportunity to be the QB even when it was made plain that is was not going to happen.
He also had an issue with not being allowed to have #11. Another player had it and he thought he was Terry Heisman so he should get it. Wrong! He had to wear #15. When Danny Villanueva was no longer on the team, Baker got to wear #11 but as a WR in his last NFL year.
I have no clue as to what went on in the CFL but it only lasted two years so how good could it have been?
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

oldecapecod 11 wrote:and I am pretty sure he also played Baseball at OSU.
Right handed pitcher, left-handed QB. He's pretty well known up here in the PNW.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

conace21 wrote:
Conversely, Hall of Famers like Otto Graham, Sid Luckman and Sammy Baugh were all (Single Wing) RBs in College who then became (T Formation) QBs in the Pros.
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

Reaser wrote:
oldecapecod 11 wrote:and I am pretty sure he also played Baseball at OSU.
Right handed pitcher, left-handed QB. He's pretty well known up here in the PNW.
You mean he pitched right-handed, but threw the football left-handed? That's gotta be very rare, if not unique.